Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:10 PM

548 posts, read 2,015,411 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to live in a neighborhood good for a young family (good schools, nice walk-able downtown) where housing is $200-$230k for a 3 bedroom house? I live in Ohio right now and I want to move back east, but I'm stressed about housing costs and finding a neighborhood like my current one.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods/towns were I can get what I'm looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:09 PM

34 posts, read 271,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Is it possible to live in a neighborhood good for a young family (good schools, nice walk-able downtown) where housing is $200-$230k for a 3 bedroom house? I live in Ohio right now and I want to move back east, but I'm stressed about housing costs and finding a neighborhood like my current one.

There are a number of threads you should check out. I just posted one under a Summary of Philly Neighborhoods, and there have been a number of others posting similar comments. I think many of us are in the same boat looking for similar things. Have you lived on the East Coast in the past? Or is this your first run? I've lived in Ohio and comparing it to Philly depends on what area of Ohio you are from. The thing with Philly is where you work, (in the city?) is it close to public transportation, do you want green space or city life? There are some really nice areas in and around philly, more than expected and have various personalities. If you provide more details I'm sure people can help...

Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizanje View Post
There are a number of threads you should check out. I just posted one under a Summary of Philly Neighborhoods, and there have been a number of others posting similar comments. I think many of us are in the same boat looking for similar things. Have you lived on the East Coast in the past? Or is this your first run? I've lived in Ohio and comparing it to Philly depends on what area of Ohio you are from. The thing with Philly is where you work, (in the city?) is it close to public transportation, do you want green space or city life? There are some really nice areas in and around philly, more than expected and have various personalities. If you provide more details I'm sure people can help...
I'm from NYC/LI originally, but I live in Columbus, OH now.

I'll probably either work in downtown or possibly in the KOP area.

My wife and I tend to like older neighborhoods with character (no cookie-cutter homes) but still a safe neighborhood. Right now we can walk within 10 blocks of our place and head to local, non-chain restaurants and shops.

Should I aim for NJ or PA?

Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM

34 posts, read 271,424 times
Quote:
I'm from NYC/LI originally, but I live in Columbus, OH now.

I'll probably either work in downtown or possibly in the KOP area.

My wife and I tend to like older neighborhoods with character (no cookie-cutter homes) but still a safe neighborhood. Right now we can walk within 10 blocks of our place and head to local, non-chain restaurants and shops.

Should I aim for NJ or PA?
Well, if you want city life, definitely PA. If you are looking for more suburban..than NJ. We don't like cookie cutter either, and Philly has allot of nice areas in the hills that are really cool. The catch on jersey seems to be taxes and insurance, they're high.
Philly has some nice older neighborhoods that have personality and excellent night life/restaurants. Areas that have a village or small town feel, but still close to the city. As you get closer to the city it is more expensive and of course in the city there are some real cool areas but not kid friendly. If you have kids, then the requirements change.

I've lived in Columbus, and Philly is much nicer in my opinion if you like a real city feeling. Columbus is a small city that doesn't have the same vibe. Of course being a large city has it's drawbacks, and Philly has it's share, primarily the commute ( the pub transport isn't anything like NYC) and roads that are overwhelmed, and crime.
I'm from Manhattan, so I'm biased, NYC is the best city. But we now have kids, and the cost of living in the city is insane these days. Philly is actually affordable compared to other large cities.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 AM

691 posts, read 3,059,709 times
If you are working in center city - i would check out NJ. If you are working in KoP, i would check out the PA burbs.

For your price range you can find an older 3br house in towns like Haddon Heights, Audubon, and Westmont (Haddon Twp) all in NJ. These towns have been around since pre-WW2 and all have walkable downtowns and homes with character. No cookie cutter suburban tract homes here.

Hopefully someone can recommend some similar PA burbs in your price range.

AND all the above towns have good schools and are extremely safe.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:04 PM

3 posts, read 6,545 times
Default Affordable apartment search

The Total source for affordable housing, senior housing, cheap apartments - AffordableSearch.com is a good resource for finding affordable apartments and resources in the US... also if you want to purchase- many mortgage companies are offering low low rates. In Brockton, MA- you can buy a foreclosed home super cheap- not sure if you want that far east-- but can get a big house for under 200K

Quote:

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-02-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-01-2008, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 6,545 times
If you really want PA- My Uncle just moved from Abington- where he had a lovely home- sold for 180K 2 years ago- not sure what the market is now.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
If you are working in center city - i would check out NJ. If you are working in KoP, i would check out the PA burbs.

For your price range you can find an older 3br house in towns like Haddon Heights, Audubon, and Westmont (Haddon Twp) all in NJ. These towns have been around since pre-WW2 and all have walkable downtowns and homes with character. No cookie cutter suburban tract homes here.

Hopefully someone can recommend some similar PA burbs in your price range.

AND all the above towns have good schools and are extremely safe.
great info here. Anyone have similar info on PA burbs?

Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizanje View Post
Well, if you want city life, definitely PA. If you are looking for more suburban..than NJ. We don't like cookie cutter either, and Philly has allot of nice areas in the hills that are really cool. The catch on jersey seems to be taxes and insurance, they're high.
Philly has some nice older neighborhoods that have personality and excellent night life/restaurants. Areas that have a village or small town feel, but still close to the city. As you get closer to the city it is more expensive and of course in the city there are some real cool areas but not kid friendly. If you have kids, then the requirements change.

I've lived in Columbus, and Philly is much nicer in my opinion if you like a real city feeling. Columbus is a small city that doesn't have the same vibe. Of course being a large city has it's drawbacks, and Philly has it's share, primarily the commute ( the pub transport isn't anything like NYC) and roads that are overwhelmed, and crime.
I'm from Manhattan, so I'm biased, NYC is the best city. But we now have kids, and the cost of living in the city is insane these days. Philly is actually affordable compared to other large cities.
when you mention the high taxes in NJ, how "high" is "high"? How does that compare to the PA burbs?

Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 AM

691 posts, read 3,059,709 times
Quote:
when you mention the high taxes in NJ, how "high" is "high"? How does that compare to the PA burbs?
In the 200k range, the taxes are going to be around 5-6k in the towns I mentioned above. I don't think PA taxes are that much cheaper in the more established towns. And homes tend to be slightly cheaper on the NJ side so it all evens out in the end IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia