Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 02:46 PM

566 posts, read 592,701 times

Advertisements

Yes, Doylestown (again!) defintely check it out..

and you might like BlueBell ---> (elementary school) Good news!
Test scores at this school are far above the state average, suggesting that most students at this school are performing at or above grade level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 09:46 PM

15 posts, read 27,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I've lived in a bunch of places in the Philly suburbs (Montgomery, Chester and Delaware counties) and I prefer the Main Line towns. I was thinking about Wayne for you, with the cute downtown area where families gather on Friday nights, yet easy access to the city. Not sure what $750 will get you, but that would be my first choice.
I’d love to hear more from you based on your experience in the many areas where you previously lived. While we would absolutely love to live in Wayne, like you stated $750 really doesn’t get you much out there. So our struggle is where could we get a nice house with a good sized yard, be surrounded with people of similar demographics (30s, educated, professional, open minded, worldly, etc. - not race. As matter of fact we are an interracial couple so diversity is a big plus!).

Old 09-11-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Yes, Doylestown (again!) defintely check it out..

and you might like BlueBell ---> (elementary school) Good news!
Test scores at this school are far above the state average, suggesting that most students at this school are performing at or above grade level.
Thank you! I’m telling you man. We LOVED Doylestown when we visited. Such a beautiful clean organized town. But we really don’t know if we can stomach that commute on a daily basis to CC and the Navy Yard. Blue Bell looks interesting though I have not visited yet (will add to my list). Housing stock seems all in the 4,000+ sq ft and in the millions. So I don’t need that much room nor can I afford that range. But I’ll look more into it. Thank you. Other suggestions are welcome!

Old 09-11-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Most of the suburbs with good downtowns have good schools. The only exceptions I can think of is glenside which doesn't have terrible schools and lansdowne which is in a poorly regarded district.

Towns I would look at in order:

Ardmore
Media
Narbeth
Wayne
Ambler
Bryn Mawr
Conshy
Jenkintown
Glenside
Lansdale

Other towns like Phoexnixville, KOP, Doylestown and West Chester would have too long of a commute in my opinion. I put Glenside and Lansdale last because they have some working class residents and it seems like you are saying that you only want to be around upper middle class folks.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Doylestown and West Chester have been my favorite so far but I agree that the commute would be too long. The mainline towns are generally more expensive than I can afford (houses in my budget are all in either bad shape or are on main roads). Media didn’t impress me honestly. I found it to be “ok” and the taxes aren’t ideal either. Ardmore is perfect as a place to hang out. I wish I could find a house that’s a five minute drive into Montco from there but that would be a few million $

Ambler/Blue Bell are on my list to check out next!

Old 09-11-2020, 10:09 PM

Thanks so much for all the responses so far. Few reactions to the suggested areas:
1. Doylestown and West Chester are my favorite feel-wise but the commutes would be brutal
2. Main Line is beautiful but my budget really doesn’t go too far except in the areas that border City Ave which I don’t want to be close to. I guess I prefer the western mainline. How is Devon/Berwyn?
3. Media is so highly recommended here and elsewhere but it didn’t do it for me when I visited. And I can’t point out why. State St has some charm by the feel seemed “just OK” (ofc this is just my personal feeling)
4. Garnet Valley area has piqued my interest given it’s reasonably close to I-95 so it might be a quicker ride into the Navy Yard? What are people like there? Young families?

All the best. And again THANK YOU!

Old 09-13-2020, 04:50 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTransplant20 View Post
Thanks so much for all the responses so far. Few reactions to the suggested areas:
1. Doylestown and West Chester are my favorite feel-wise but the commutes would be brutal
2. Main Line is beautiful but my budget really doesn’t go too far except in the areas that border City Ave which I don’t want to be close to. I guess I prefer the western mainline. How is Devon/Berwyn?
3. Media is so highly recommended here and elsewhere but it didn’t do it for me when I visited. And I can’t point out why. State St has some charm by the feel seemed “just OK” (ofc this is just my personal feeling)
4. Garnet Valley area has piqued my interest given it’s reasonably close to I-95 so it might be a quicker ride into the Navy Yard? What are people like there? Young families?

All the best. And again THANK YOU!
You asked about the various places I've lived in the area -- Berwyn was one of them. I lived in an apartment at the time and I don't know what $750K will get you nowadays, but I loved it there. Train into the city, right there. Safe area, nice neighbors. Leafy, green, hilly neighborhoods. But one of the main things I liked was how close it was to all the major highways -- 476, PA Turnpike, 202, Schuylkill Expressway. The other places I've lived (Norristown, Skippack, Upper Gwynedd, Willistown Township, etc.) were just not as convenient for me, as a lot of my social life involved driving into the city or over to Jersey.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:29 PM

445 posts, read 414,223 times
I love my suburban friends but sometimes their perspective on commuting is pretty whack, coming from someone who lives and works in CC. I cherish(ed) my 10 minute bike commute and can't imagine sitting on a train or in traffic for over an hour. But some folks dont flinch at it!

We briefly looked at moving to the PA suburbs and gradually moved our radius in to literally only as far as Wissahickon/Manayunk, because we just can't sotmach the commute. Doylestown is nice, as others have said, but it's going to sting commuting from that far. If you must do 'burbs, based on where you are commuting to, I'd go all in on Narberth, Media or Swarthmore.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:22 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
I love my suburban friends but sometimes their perspective on commuting is pretty whack, coming from someone who lives and works in CC. I cherish(ed) my 10 minute bike commute and can't imagine sitting on a train or in traffic for over an hour. But some folks dont flinch at it!

We briefly looked at moving to the PA suburbs and gradually moved our radius in to literally only as far as Wissahickon/Manayunk, because we just can't sotmach the commute. Doylestown is nice, as others have said, but it's going to sting commuting from that far. If you must do 'burbs, based on where you are commuting to, I'd go all in on Narberth, Media or Swarthmore.
I know, I myself was shocked to see Doylestown as the #1 suggestion -- 40 miles outside the city. It's not like there aren't a million nice places much closer.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 476 times
I'm a bit surprised Havertown wasn't mentioned. I would definitely check it out as it could fit the bill. Great community, family oriented, great neighborhoods with lots of kids. Just off the Main Line so you're not paying Main Line prices. Doesn't have quite the same downtown as say, Doylestown, Media, Wayne, Ardmore, etc. But there are more and more restaurants, etc popping up, and it's close to Ardmore, if you do want more of a scene.
I used to work at the Navy Yard. With no traffic, there in 30 min. With traffic, can be 45 min depending on how backed up 476 is. Public transportation from anywhere in the suburbs to Navy Yard wasn't ideal. Commute to CC is about the same - 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. You could do public transportation to CC - R5 Septa train from Wynnewood or Ardmore stations (possibly Overbrook, depending where in Havertown). Or the trolley to 69th St station and then switch to subway. When I worked in CC, did a mix of driving and train - I found driving slightly quicker and more convenient, but if you don't want hassle of traffic, then train...

Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times
Media. Media. Media. It screams what you are looking for. Close to 95 for an easy commute to the Navy Yard. Great schools. A very vibrant community and downtown. Media has the most vibrant community second to probably Ardmore of any Philadelphia suburb. Housing is getting a bit pricey and you won't get anything super large, but you can find a nice home in this area for 750k. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia