Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 02:36 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,283,616 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a New Yorker but I went to Temple for college so I'm familiar with Philly hanging out in Center City, Northwest and Northeast Philly and riding the Frankford El a lot (have the cleaned up Bridge/Pratt station yet?).

Just two questions:

I'm driving down to visit a friend of mine from Temple who lives near Cottman Avenue and Tabor Road. I know that's a few blocks west of the Roosevelt Mall but how's that neighborhood. I remember when I was last there in 2000 it was pretty decent - but how is it now?

The other question is one I really wish I didn't have to ask but - my friend's white and I'm black so I'm wondering if I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb too much as I recall I only saw a handful of black folks around there and most of them were near the mall.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,283,616 times
One other thing:

After this visit with the friend in NE Philly, I'm visiting a family member who's in the Southwest at 56th/Springfield. I remember the neighborhood being a bit sketchy but has it gotten better since 2000?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:06 AM

8,975 posts, read 21,059,414 times
Re: Cottman/Tabor, you will stick out like a sore thumb. That's not to say that you'll have a target on your back. While an infusion of blacks and Hispanics has diversified the lower Northeast in recent years, the traditionally ethnic white and Jewish population hasn't necessarily welcomed them with open arms. It's in the realm of possibility that some of those who coudn't/wouldn't vote with their feet may express their feelings to you in ways that may or may not be subtle.

Re: 56th and Springfield. I have a friend that lives nearby, off 54th and Chester. There's a lot of development on So. 52nd Street, the "unofficial" new boundary of University City. Some of that benefit may have spilled over a bit west. But it's still a block-by-block situation until you get over to Cobbs Creek.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-02-2008 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM

8,975 posts, read 21,059,414 times
Oh... and they finally(!) completed renovations at the Frankford Transportation Center maybe four years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia