U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,926,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Compared to Abington, Cherry Hill is missing a lot more than just hills, but it's definitely a convenient, good-value family-oriented suburb.
I work in Abington and live near Cherry Hill. Cherry has more of everything (except hills) then Abington. More homes, more shopping, more entertainment, more schools..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 03:57 PM

7,473 posts, read 10,239,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I work in Abington and live near Cherry Hill. Cherry has more of everything (except hills) then Abington. More homes, more shopping, more entertainment, more schools..
Less public transit, less history, less charm, more cookie-cutter housing, more strip malls, more grade-level highways. It's formed in a completely different fashion from Abington, even if both are large, middle to upper middle class suburbs. I'm not saying CH is objectively "bad" but there are definitely tradeoffs between the two.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM

27,270 posts, read 25,874,276 times
There's less history? Tell me that you can't believe that you said such a thing.

Bonnie's Bridge - Cherry Hill, NJ - Orphaned Bridges on Waymarking.com

Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's les//pics3.city-data.com/forum/images/editor/menupop.gifs history? Tell me that you can't believe that you said such a thing.

Bonnie's Bridge - Cherry Hill, NJ - Orphaned Bridges on Waymarking.com
I said less history, not absolutely no history, although Cherry Hill does have relatively little in that department. Abington was founded in the late 1600s. It has Quaker meetinghouses, historic village centers, lots of charming pre-war architecture, and other things Cherry Hill simply doesn't. It's not quite as cohesively historic as the Main Line or the Haddons, but it certainly offers a different feel from Cherry Hill.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Less public transit, less history, less charm, more cookie-cutter housing, more strip malls, more grade-level highways. It's formed in a completely different fashion from Abington, even if both are large, middle to upper middle class suburbs. I'm not saying CH is objectively "bad" but there are definitely tradeoffs between the two.

Nope, yes and nope, nope, yes... Both nice areas.. You obviously never been to Cherry Hill, have you?

Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,291,602 times
Quote:
Yep the place is not that small but its jammed up with crap making it look smaller then it is. And about homes in South Jersey. The prices in Nj has always been lower then pa, but now even lower.. Like I have said already you can buy a heck of a home in SJ now for well under $250k.. even $200k.. Look at THESE one for $155k! Thats Philly row home price
603 Elkins Ter Cherry Hill NJ - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #6181711 - Realtor.com®

64 Churchill Rd Cherry Hill NJ - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #6182019 - Realtor.com®
What exactly does this say about Frank's Famous Frase (spelled incorrectly on purpose) "Ya get what ya pay for"?

Old 03-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Nope, yes and nope, nope, yes... Both nice areas.. You obviously never been to Cherry Hill, have you?
I go there all the time; the Starbucks on Marlton Pike is "my place" when I get sick of campus and I exclusively shop at Wegmans . I sometimes eat over at the Kibitz Room as well.

The regional rail is more extensive than Patco; charm is subjective, but I don't find masses of pre-fab housing remotely charming; there's definitely more cookie-cutter housing in Cherry Hill--there's some custom construction going on in the Voken Tract, and otherwise, a teardown here and there that provides for a little break in the otherwise 4- or 5-model developments, but nothing remotely like the piecemeal estates you'll find in Rydal, Meadowbrook, Huntingdon Valley. Abington is home to some soulless sprawl as well, but Cherry Hill is one cul de sac after the other.

It's a taste preference.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
What exactly does this say about Frank's Famous Frase (spelled incorrectly on purpose) "Ya get what ya pay for"?
Pay attention.. I was talking taxes.. Higher taxes = better neighborhoods. No exception to that rule.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I go there all the time; the Starbucks on Marlton Pike is "my place" when I get sick of campus and I exclusively shop at Wegmans . I sometimes eat over at the Kibitz Room as well.

The regional rail is more extensive than Patco; charm is subjective, but I don't find masses of pre-fab housing remotely charming; there's definitely more cookie-cutter housing in Cherry Hill--there's some custom construction going on in the Voken Tract, and otherwise, a teardown here and there that provides for a little break in the otherwise 4- or 5-model developments, but nothing remotely like the piecemeal estates you'll find in Rydal, Meadowbrook, Huntingdon Valley. Abington is home to some soulless sprawl as well, but Cherry Hill is one cul de sac after the other.

It's a taste preference.
Ok I stand corrected. Have you ever traveled off the beaten path with a car (not a bus)and seen some of the gorgeous homes, country clubs and farms? Are these homes 'souless', whatever that is? The Kabitz room is very cool

http://www.dansukhia.com/content/article.html/125496

Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 AM

27,270 posts, read 25,874,276 times
Quote:
I said less history, not absolutely no history, although Cherry Hill does have relatively little in that department. Abington was founded in the late 1600s. It has Quaker meetinghouses, historic village centers, lots of charming pre-war architecture, and other things Cherry Hill simply doesn't. It's not quite as cohesively historic as the Main Line or the Haddons, but it certainly offers a different feel from Cherry Hill.
I see. You mean few remaining old or historic buildings. Colestown, founded in the late 1600s, is long gone. Whatever remained of Ellisburg was razed in 1938 when the state put in the circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or