Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 12:26 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,603,822 times

Advertisements

I might get biased feedback posting on a Philly forum but I might be taking a job in either Hockessin, DE or a traveling position in the Philly area. Wilmington interests me as it puts me about 2 hours or less to 4 major cities and is less congested. The cost of living seems similar comparing the waterfront area of Wilmington to most of Philly as well. I'm in my early 40's and not into nightlife anymore. I enjoy going out for dinner or drinks and obviously a dating life (I can travel to either area to do that). Any recommendations? If I traveled throughout the Philly area I'm assuming my commute wouldn't be bad. I also need parking so I'm not sure how tough and expensive that is in Philly. If I take the job in Hockessin, Wilmington would be the clear winner but I'm also contemplating the job traveling in the Philly area so I'm not sure what to do overall and could use some feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 02:18 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,279,411 times
I would not rate Wilmington bad and the area around the waterfront and trolley square are its two most desirable neighborhoods, but I find nothing to rave about Delaware other than the Greenville area.

I personally find the waterfront area to be very suburban in nature and feels too new urbanism for me, trying to emulate authentic urban neighborhoods when in facts it feels like an elevated suburban strip mall.

In fact, I would say its neighbor to the north. Media, Pennsylvania is more lively than Wilmington is on a whole. Wilmington pretty much shuts down at 9 PM, even pre covid and therefore I just find it to be a very boring place. There just is not a lot of cultural activities or events. It kind of all gets swallowed by Philadelphia, since Wilmington is in most ways considered a satellite city of Philadelphia.

If you want the best of both worlds I would honestly check out Media, Pennsylvania. It is a vibrant suburban town about midway from both Philadelphia and Wilmington.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 10-15-2020 at 02:28 PM..

Old 10-15-2020, 02:59 PM

333 posts, read 279,638 times
I think it really depends on exactly what type of a vibe you're looking for.

I actually think Wilmington is a bit underrated. My wife (then girlfriend) used to live in Greenville, and there are definitely things I miss about the area. But as the previous poster pointed out, Wilmington doesn't have much going for it in the way of culture and nightlife. What it *does* have going for it is nature. The Greenville / Centreville / Brandywine stretch is some of the most beautiful in the area, with a crapload of parks, wineries, museums, and gardens (Longwood, Nemours, Winterthur, etc.). If you're looking for somewhere quiet and un-congested, that could actually be a good option for you.

Philly has a lot going for it, but if you're not interested in nightlife or easy cultural amenities, I can't say I would recommend living in the city.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:58 PM

409 posts, read 366,176 times
Don't rule out the smaller suburban towns around Philadelphia. I understand that Philly and Wilmington are the two names you recognize, but there are a lot of livable, walkable suburban towns that you should consider. Media (already mentioned), West Chester, Doylestown and The Main Line are all worth a look.

Regarding Delaware in general, I just find everything quirky and slapped-together. My pet peeve is how many streetlights are suspended by electrical cables instead of using a proper support (Downtown Wilmington installs them the right way though).

Old 10-15-2020, 07:08 PM

1,815 posts, read 661,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Don't rule out the smaller suburban towns around Philadelphia. I understand that Philly and Wilmington are the two names you recognize, but there are a lot of livable, walkable suburban towns that you should consider. Media (already mentioned), West Chester, Doylestown and The Main Line are all worth a look.

Regarding Delaware in general, I just find everything quirky and slapped-together. My pet peeve is how many streetlights are suspended by electrical cables instead of using a proper support (Downtown Wilmington installs them the right way though).
Good point, but Doylestown seems like a far out point. Did you mean Downingtown?

Glen Mills/Garnet Valley are closer to the Media area, and there is Wegmans and Whole Foods in near proximity.

Old 10-15-2020, 07:47 PM

I honestly think Media or West Chester are your best options. Although both are smaller than Wilmington, they actually have a more vibrant street life and way more going for them if you want a Philadelphia alternative but to be close proximity to each city.'

I hate to say it, but for a city of its size. Wilmington just kind of is lame and boring. And I know there is new development along the waterfront but it honestly feels like a suburban strip mall and I do not find it to be very nice.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:46 AM

443 posts, read 406,983 times
Some shade being thrown Wilmington's way but I find the Trolley Square neighborhood to be very cute. It's walkable, has some bars and restaurants but it's also affordable and close to parks and nature. Downtown Wilmington is sleepy and has a ways to go to in terms of vibrancy but is coming along. If I *had* to live in Wilmington it would probably be the Trolley Square area. And I'd definitely pick that over West Chester or Media if I was working in Wilmington.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Some shade being thrown Wilmington's way but I find the Trolley Square neighborhood to be very cute. It's walkable, has some bars and restaurants but it's also affordable and close to parks and nature. Downtown Wilmington is sleepy and has a ways to go to in terms of vibrancy but is coming along. If I *had* to live in Wilmington it would probably be the Trolley Square area. And I'd definitely pick that over West Chester or Media if I was working in Wilmington.
Trolley Square is cute. Its very sleepy though. I lived in Wilmington for a brief period of time and I would explore Trolley Square and while it is cute there are only a handful of restaurants and its not very vibrant. I would definitely say West Chester and Media have more vibrant neighborhoods.

I was just in Media the other weekend and the streets were vibrant and full of outdoor dinning. There were two good restaurants in Trolley Square. Another a bit further up going towards Greenville. And that's about it. One coffee shop. Just not a lot going on.

There are a few pockets of nice neighborhoods in Wilmington, don't get me wrong, I just was in shock when I lived there how little was happening. And this was pre covid.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:44 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,603,822 times
What neighborhoods in Philly are good. Fishtown, Society Hill, Rittenhouse, and Center City are usually places I hear about. I'd prefer to be in a city so Philly and Wilmington interest me more than Media and other suburban towns.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
What neighborhoods in Philly are good. Fishtown, Society Hill, Rittenhouse, and Center City are usually places I hear about. I'd prefer to be in a city so Philly and Wilmington interest me more than Media and other suburban towns.
Yes, Old City, Fitler Square, Graduate Hospital, Northern Liberties and Fairmount are also great options as well.

All have vibrant core centers within the neighborhood with walkable amenities, groceries, restaurants, dry cleaning, etc with easy transit access to Center City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia