Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 08:17 PM

578 posts, read 2,099,389 times

Advertisements

I had a couple questions.

1) I was shocked last night the Sixers drew 14K for a playoff game!
In fact...they didn't sell out ANY of their games.
What's the reason for this?

I find it odd this occurs while the Flyers are selling out nightly.

In fact...going back several years the Flyers have consistently outdrawn the Sixers, and had a more loyal well traveled base.

What's going on?
Are the Sixers just that far down on the Philly sports scale?
If so why...or do the Flyers just have a more loyal core?

2) Obviously the Eagles and NFL are number one.
-However…the Phillies until recently didn’t draw…and even now still get swarms of road fans and don’t travel as well.
-The Sixers do not draw at home and have little road presence.

Is there any reason why?
-Are the Flyers and NHL number two/three…and if so how/why?
-This is the US…where hockey is 4th…and the Sixers were the most recent Philly team to win.
-They also have the same owner as the Flyers.
-Is the NHL bigger than MLB/NBA…and if not why is it the Flyers appear to draw better….keep road fans out and have more road fans?
-Were the Flyers to be mediocre like the Sixers or Phillies would they have similar fanbases?
-Is this just a reflection of W-L, or the overall city…or is it just that Flyer fans while smaller overall are just more loyal?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 06:44 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,179,751 times
From what I heard, Sixers fans didn't expect them to get to Game 6 against the Pistons, let alone go further in the playoffs. I agree that the Phillies and Eagles have the most consistent fans, although I don't know anything about the loyalty of the road warriors.

Since the 2001 finals, the Sixers have been like a box of chocolates while you pretty much knew that the other three teams were (not) going to be in the playoffs. It doesn't help that they don't have any "stars" currently on the team. The "new" A.I. (Igoudala) is alright but he'd probably be a better Scottie Pippen to someone else.

I have to admit that I haven't followed the Flyers consistently since Lindros left, so I can't really compare them directly with the Sixers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
I had a couple questions.

1) I was shocked last night the Sixers drew 14K for a playoff game!
In fact...they didn't sell out ANY of their games.
What's the reason for this?

I find it odd this occurs while the Flyers are selling out nightly.

In fact...going back several years the Flyers have consistently outdrawn the Sixers, and had a more loyal well traveled base.

What's going on?
Are the Sixers just that far down on the Philly sports scale?
If so why...or do the Flyers just have a more loyal core?

2) Obviously the Eagles and NFL are number one.
-However…the Phillies until recently didn’t draw…and even now still get swarms of road fans and don’t travel as well.
-The Sixers do not draw at home and have little road presence.

Is there any reason why?
-Are the Flyers and NHL number two/three…and if so how/why?
-This is the US…where hockey is 4th…and the Sixers were the most recent Philly team to win.
-They also have the same owner as the Flyers.
-Is the NHL bigger than MLB/NBA…and if not why is it the Flyers appear to draw better….keep road fans out and have more road fans?
-Were the Flyers to be mediocre like the Sixers or Phillies would they have similar fanbases?
-Is this just a reflection of W-L, or the overall city…or is it just that Flyer fans while smaller overall are just more loyal?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,222,843 times
The NBA has alot of flaws such as the byzantine salary cap, guaranteed contracts,overall deterioration of the team game. Chris Webber is the poster child of why the NBA in Philadelphia is dead.

Its been a bad run for the Sixers the past 5-6 years and its going to take alot more than a first round playoff series to get the fans interested in the Sixers again.

Everyone thinks this is strictly an Eagles town but I think the Phils are alot closer to that top spot than people think. This is a great baseball town but unfortunately over the past 10-20 years the management of the Phils have just been abysmal forcing focus on the Eagles.

The Flyers have an excellent following.

The Sixers and the NBA imo are in trouble in this town. A Miller is a nice player but nobody is paying $20 dollars to park, $80 for two upper level seats,$30 on snacks to go see Andre Miller play basketball.

Eagles
Phils closing fast
Big drop off- Flyers
Sixers not even on the radar

Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 PM

578 posts, read 2,099,389 times
I'm really surprised you say the Phillies are number 2...because the Flyers appear to draw a lot better at home and have a lot more passion...and you see MUCH less road fans there than at a Phils game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia