U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2020, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,174 posts, read 511,178 times
Reputation: 1506

Advertisements

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...alter-wallace/

I'm not usually one to speak about entire years in generalizations, but boy this year has been rough. This time, the unrest is over an incident right in our very city. I hope everyone in West Philly stays safe, and that the small businesses endure what may be ahead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2020, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,503 posts, read 995,224 times
Reputation: 1272
Why wasn't the suspect tased? The city should be made to pay for damages to local businesses out of the policing budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...alter-wallace/

I'm not usually one to speak about entire years in generalizations, but boy this year has been rough. This time, the unrest is over an incident right in our very city. I hope everyone in West Philly stays safe, and that the small businesses endure what may be ahead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2020, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
Reputation: 1949
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Why wasn't the suspect tased? The city should be made to pay for damages to local businesses out of the policing budget.
I agree the suspect should of been tased not killed. Clearly he had a mental issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2020, 07:19 AM
 
6,120 posts, read 3,559,689 times
Reputation: 4321
I don’t really want to watch the video, so my comments are based off of written reports, but I do wonder why non-lethal force such as a taser could not be used. I find any type of looting or other violence to be despicable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2020, 08:13 AM
 
13,685 posts, read 23,895,308 times
Reputation: 13986
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I don’t really want to watch the video, so my comments are based off of written reports, but I do wonder why non-lethal force such as a taser could not be used. I find any type of looting or other violence to be despicable.
You should if you want the whole story - it's not graphic at all.

A brief overview is cops repeatedly ask a suspect that was reported to be assaulting another with a knife to drop the knife as he approaches them multiple times, with the cops spending the majority of the encounter backing away from him.

Tasing is generally used when the suspect is not armed or not advancing. Many, especially those on drugs, walk through it. There are many cop related videos on yt showing a suspect getting tased and just picking the leads off.

Here is an example of both ineffective tasing and then later, effective but note the suspect was not advancing towards the police (the initial tase was a security guard it looks like).

https://youtu.be/yjhbYo5nKYk

I do wonder, in this sort of encounter with two officers, why one could not have attempted to tase.

I can't find any information on exactly where this happened, just "west philly". Anyone know where it was exactly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2020, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,503 posts, read 995,224 times
Reputation: 1272
You make it sound like the only oprion in this scenario was shoot to KILL. This is murder, regardless of what is in the police manual.

And yes. the shooting is graphic unless you are acustomed to cold blooded murders


Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
You should if you want the whole story - it's not graphic at all.

A brief overview is cops repeatedly ask a suspect that was reported to be assaulting another with a knife to drop the knife as he approaches them multiple times, with the cops spending the majority of the encounter backing away from him.

Tasing is generally used when the suspect is not armed or not advancing. Many, especially those on drugs, walk through it. There are many cop related videos on yt showing a suspect getting tased and just picking the leads off.

Here is an example of both ineffective tasing and then later, effective but note the suspect was not advancing towards the police (the initial tase was a security guard it looks like).

https://youtu.be/yjhbYo5nKYk

I do wonder, in this sort of encounter with two officers, why one could not have attempted to tase.

I can't find any information on exactly where this happened, just "west philly". Anyone know where it was exactly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2020, 08:41 AM
 
589 posts, read 520,058 times
Reputation: 641
I think we need to rethink policing in this city/country. The militarization of police is clearly a problem and people are right to feel like the police are an occupying force in their neighborhoods instead of an extension of them. I am in favor of diverting a large portion of the budget to stuff like mental health counselors. That said, after watching the video, I can't say that I blame the police for shooting. The guy was rushing them with a knife. Society failed by not address the guys mental health problems, but I can't blame the individual cops for not wanting to pay for that failure with their lives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2020, 08:50 AM
 
130 posts, read 34,760 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I think we need to rethink policing in this city/country. The militarization of police is clearly a problem and people are right to feel like the police are an occupying force in their neighborhoods instead of an extension of them. I am in favor of diverting a large portion of the budget to stuff like mental health counselors. That said, after watching the video, I can't say that I blame the police for shooting. The guy was rushing them with a knife. Society failed by not address the guys mental health problems, but I can't blame the individual cops for not wanting to pay for that failure with their lives.
Your post is well thought out. But do we in fact know if this person had "mental problems?" Like, did he have schizophrenia? Or was he just angry? Are there any facts on this at this point?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2020, 08:52 AM
 
6,120 posts, read 3,559,689 times
Reputation: 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You make it sound like the only oprion in this scenario was shoot to KILL. This is murder, regardless of what is in the police manual.

And yes. the shooting is graphic unless you are acustomed to cold blooded murders

You could share a 1000 stories of London police disarming knife-wielders without fatally shooting the suspect with a firearm, and you will still get tons of comments back about how you have no idea what you are talking about. Whacky and violent world we will in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2020, 08:56 AM
 
130 posts, read 34,760 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
You could share a 1000 stories of London police disarming knife-wielders without fatally shooting the suspect with a firearm, and you will still get tons of comments back about how you have no idea what you are talking about. Whacky and violent world we will in.
London is not the USA. Not even close. How many guns are on the street in London compared to US cities? Is the violent death toll there around the same rate as it is in Philly?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top