Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 11:00 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times

Advertisements

Is Detroit liberal? That city has been voting Democrat since 1962.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 11:38 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,497,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Many medium to large cities across the country are blue(-ish) contradicting the red sea that makes up the rest of their respective states.

Philly proper is overwhelmingly blue although the Far Northeast and "Far South Philly" are consistently notable exceptions. Also, at least with a plurality of the police, there may be a plurality of at least one union who has found mutual regard with the current White House incumbent.
It's just that Philly just seems like it's the most similar city to New York and Chicago, and if it is to be thought of as among them as world class cities, it must be able to keep its state blue like them. For whatever reasons, Philly just doesnt have the power to keep its state aligned with its politics like those cities. It just makes me think of Philly as a weak city, not having any real power over its state.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:46 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,497,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
As a whole, I wouldn't even say Pennsylvania is red---it's definitely purple. Both locally and nationally, PA votes for Democrats just as often as it does Republicans. As much as people want to mock "Pennsyltucky", we're a true swing state in every sense of the word.
Yes but regardless of if PA votes for Trump, weather it's by 0.01% or 99.9%, imo the liberal world is going to view Pennsylvania as a red state, and as a deep red state if it votes for him twice, no matter how far from accurate that is.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:21 PM

9,336 posts, read 9,197,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
No offense but since I live in TrumpTopia PA which is also Pennsyltucky or Alabama in the middle and the Trump signs, flags, American flags with them cannot be missed along every roadway between small cities on lawns and even in the small old even depressed cities though PA.

I actually cannot believe the amount of these signs and yes my clubs and bars I can go to you would find PLENTY of fill a rally. Yesterday there was a Trump Rally in a nearby City in my County with a Trump Campaign official to be there and like a 60 boat Trump ride on the Susquehanna River.

Believe me. there is plenty of enthusiasm these last few months of the campaign to fill rally's without busing in those from somewhere else. This region will be 2 to 1 and higher for Trump or any GOP candidate.
Gone is the notion Trump needs to bus everyone to rally's unless more in a major city perhaps .... Truly, unless Philly gets every Dem vote out? Trump stands a still very good shot at winning. I know every GOP voter and Trump fan WILL be out hell or high water and we expect good weather tomorrow.
When I was in rural PA recently I took noticed an overwhelming (almost creepy) amount of Trump paraphernalia everywhere.

BUT, I also had a project on the Main Line (Radnor), and saw a sea of Biden. The Trump front is very united, but there are a lot of regions throughout the state that do not share the Trump enthusiasm, notably the Philadelphia suburbs.

At this point though, I have no idea what kind of outcome we will have...

Old 11-02-2020, 12:23 PM

9,336 posts, read 9,197,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Yes but regardless of if PA votes for Trump, weather it's by 0.01% or 99.9%, imo the liberal world is going to view Pennsylvania as a red state, and as a deep red state if it votes for him twice, no matter how far from accurate that is.
Are North Carolina, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. viewed as deep red?

Even if Pa goes for Trump, "deep red" seems like an exaggeration, and yes, not accurate either way.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:46 PM

558 posts, read 295,969 times
Quote:
It's just that Philly just seems like it's the most similar city to New York and Chicago, and if it is to be thought of as among them as world class cities, it must be able to keep its state blue like them. For whatever reasons, Philly just doesnt have the power to keep its state aligned with its politics like those cities. It just makes me think of Philly as a weak city, not having any real power over its state.
NYC and Chicago's metropolitan areas have much more than half of their state's population. Philadelphia's metro is close to half, but a sizeable chunk of that is over in NJ. There are probably more rural voters in PA are there are voters in Philadelphia.

In any case, Pennsylvania is purple leaning blue.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:48 PM

333 posts, read 278,660 times
Quote:
There may be a lot of factors at play, but I think one factor has to do with NYC's significantly outsized influence on their state, compared to Philadelphia's.

NYC alone makes up 40% of the New York State's population. Philadelphia, by contrast, is only about 12% of Pennsylvania's overall population. Yes, if we're including total metro areas the numbers get a bit murkier, but just looking at strictly city population, it's clear that we're nowhere near the size of a place like NYC, and a much smaller portion of our state's population, and that contributes to a somewhat smaller influence over state politics.

But I still don't really get why that matters. There are liberal cities in red states all the time. Heck, any large city is going to be blue, no matter where it is. If Philly is to continue to succeed, it depends so much more on what the city itself does than what Harrisburg does.

Quote:
People can think whatever they want, but that doesn't make it true. The reason so much focus is on us for this election is because we are a swing state, and we're not a sure thing for either party. If we were "deep" red, PA would never be in doubt. But we are.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:38 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,589,043 times
I think Pittsburgh is blue too. Philadelphia isn't the only blue city, Pittsburgh is too. With that said, PA is a very purple state and things could go either way.

Old 11-02-2020, 04:43 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,433,398 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. It's devoid of logic.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:11 PM

13,945 posts, read 8,803,230 times
Quote:
1) As at least three others have pointed out to you, Metro New York (that portion of it in New York State) and Chicagoland (most of which is in Illinois) account for a greater share of their respective states' populations than Greater Philadelphia (about 40 percent of whose residents live in New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland) dies Pennsylvania's.

2) Philadelphia never has dominated state politics either, and not just because Pittsburgh is on the other side of the state. This state is shot through with small and medium-sized cities, some of which have gotten bluer over time (Harrisburg), others of which have long been liberal (Reading, and perhaps oddly, Lancaster), some of which are center-left (the Lehigh Valley conurbation), and some of which became less blue in 2016 (Erie, Scranton; Wilkes-Barre flipped). The view Pittsburghers have of Philadelphia is similar to the way Kansas Citians view St. Louis, though they are broadly similar when it comes to politics. And in the T, they regard Pennsylvania's first city as Sodom-and-Gomorrah-on-the-Delaware, a hopeless cesspool of corruption.

Maybe if the Southeast housed four of every 10 Pennsylvanians, this would be different, but it doesn't.

Edited to add: And there have been two other significant shifts: Philadelphia's collar counties increasingly vote like Philadelphia while the counties surrounding Pittsburgh turned Trumpy while Allegheny itself remained blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia