Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 10:11 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I guess neither of you know their politics and recent actions then. Maybe get educated then get back to me. That is the perfect descriptive term unless you are just an Apparatchik.
Again, a complete lack of effort on your behalf. You have failed to draw a connection between the actions of either Kenney or Krasner and Marxist theory. Therefore, your deployment of the term "Marxist" is empty rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 12:37 PM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Again, a complete lack of effort on your behalf. You have failed to draw a connection between the actions of either Kenney or Krasner and Marxist theory. Therefore, your deployment of the term "Marxist" is empty rhetoric.
Yes it is interesting that modern conservatives complain that progressives dismiss everything they dislike as "racist" while simultaneously dismissing everything they dislike as "marxist." Almost none of them have ever read marx or understand the long standing animosity between marxists/communists and liberals.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:02 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I always find your posts rational. However I wouldn't call cities with less than 50,000 people medium sized cities. They are small cities and shouldn't have that much sway over state politics. Illinois has tons of small cities as well yet Chicago absolutely dominates IL politics.
None of the cities I listed have populations below 50,000; I left the one the does yet is part of an emerging metropolitan conurbation akin to the Lehigh Valley or Scranton/Wilkes-Barre — York, which forms the third angle of what I'm calling the South-Central Pennsylvania Triangle — off the list. (Edited to add: Whoops! Wilkes-Barre also has fewer than 50,000 residents, but since it's just a handful of miles from Scranton, it gets included just like Easton does in the Lehigh Valley metro.)

The other Pennsylvania cities that fall into this small-city category include Altoona, Johnstown, Easton, Coatesville and a bunch of even smaller (<10,000) ones in western Pennsylvania. This category also includes State College borough.

Upper Darby and Lower Merion townships in the Philadelphia 'burbs have populations large enough to qualify as small or medium-sized cities.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:11 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I always find your posts rational. However I wouldn't call cities with less than 50,000 people medium sized cities. They are small cities and shouldn't have that much sway over state politics. Illinois has tons of small cities as well yet Chicago absolutely dominates IL politics.
And also, once more: No other metropolitan area in Illinois has anywhere hear the population of Chicagoland. Remove the New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland parts of Greater Philadelphia and Greater Pittsburgh becomes even more of a rival center.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:31 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And also, once more: No other metropolitan area in Illinois has anywhere hear the population of Chicagoland. Remove the New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland parts of Greater Philadelphia and Greater Pittsburgh becomes even more of a rival center.
Without the non PA parts of the Philadelphia metro, it's still around 4 million. That plus Pittsburgh metro area is close to 6 million people. But some state's largest metro areas are significantly smaller than that and are still reliably blue.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:00 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
To answer the original question: I don't believe that PA's overall political disposition has any bearing whatsoever on whether Philadelphia is viewed as liberal or not. It's a liberal city, and as far as I know viewed nationally as such.

The comparison to Houston falls short because outside of the core city (that is, outside the loop and the suburbs) Houston is still rather conservative (with some areas being incredibly so). Philly's suburbs are much more center-left. As has been pointed out, Texas' standing as a conservative stronghold doesn't seem to dent Austin's (well-earned) reputation as a liberal city.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:46 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
To answer the original question: I don't believe that PA's overall political disposition has any bearing whatsoever on whether Philadelphia is viewed as liberal or not. It's a liberal city, and as far as I know viewed nationally as such.

The comparison to Houston falls short because outside of the core city (that is, outside the loop and the suburbs) Houston is still rather conservative (with some areas being incredibly so). Philly's suburbs are much more center-left. As has been pointed out, Texas' standing as a conservative stronghold doesn't seem to dent Austin's (well-earned) reputation as a liberal city.
Thank you for helping me understand a bit Houston better.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 3,591 times
Philly used to be a WONDERFULLY conservative, Republican city. I gather all that was ending around the time big Frank Rizzo left City Hall, and the city began collapsing in today's chaos. We moved far away in '69. Sad to see it today.

Old 11-06-2020, 01:11 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPHILLY View Post
Philly used to be a WONDERFULLY conservative, Republican city. I gather all that was ending around the time big Frank Rizzo left City Hall, and the city began collapsing in today's chaos. We moved far away in '69. Sad to see it today.
Large cities are generally liberal/Democratic. If you've kept up with news over the years and especially this year, Rizzo has a particularly polarizing legacy. While the city has had its share of mistakes and corruption over decades of one-party rule, I don't think Republicans would be able to do much differently. The days of Republicans having a chance to run the city ended with Sam Katz, a relative moderate for the times. Now you have people who eagerly became loyalists for the current (outgoing?) President. That's not going to produce much luck at City Hall.

If Rizzo had fought to prevent redlining as Mayor, championed other programs for citizens of color, and endeavored to work with the counties to create a cooperative economy instead of a competitive one, this city and metro would be a different place.

Perhaps the presumed President-Elect could empower the city as a laboratory for some great things.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/...-philadelphia/

Old 11-06-2020, 01:45 PM

4 posts, read 3,591 times
I was watching the live feed on YouTube today from civic center where the vote count is taking place and listening to several young women yelling into megaphones to the crowd, essentially declaring, 'THE REVOLUTION IS HERE.' Kamala will be running the show -- but getting nowhere. Pelosi will be out. Biden, the trojan horse, will kick the can before too long. it'll be disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia