Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 05:47 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times

Advertisements

End of an era! Warmdaddy’s has also moved to a spot off north broad.

Second movie theater I can think that has closed this year. The Ritz at the Bourse closed before the pandemic. That place was cool. The Riverview was pretty run of the mill but still very popular.

After Almost 30 Years the UA Riverview Movie Theater on Delaware Ave. Has Closed For Good!

I wonder if this building will be torn down too: https://goo.gl/maps/xUX3Bm2gFjPyJxBe8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millysint View Post
End of an era? LOL! Good riddance. That place was a soulless dump that had fights regularly and at least one shooting due to poor behavior.

(In my most condescending voice) End of an era ...

Well from an urbanists perspective, there were few redeeming features of the riverview plaza so no great lose there.

I never witnessed anything wild like that the few times I had been there.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-13-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-13-2020, 08:31 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Yeah, that whole strip mall sucked - super glad it's disappearing. Prime real estate as well. Maybe someone will even be able to save that turn of the century firehouse that was most recently the steakhouse. It's been sitting vacant and slowly falling apart for years now.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:55 AM

333 posts, read 282,281 times
The Riverview wasn't great, but there were so few movie theaters in the city for so long that, as South Philly residents, it was our default go-to for many years. Whatever issues people might have with the location or the design or even the clientele, it still definitely met a big need for local residents, and its closure is a loss.

That said, I wonder about the plans for housing on the site. Columbus is such a weird, disjointed, mishmash of a road. And while I applaud any efforts to build it out and improve density, I really have to wonder who's going to pay $500k + to live smooshed in between I-95 and, essentially, a four-lane, pedestrian-unfriendly mini highway that's constantly jammed up at most hours of the day.

(I say that, but people apparently shelled out to live in those weird-ass new homes right next to the I-95 off-ramp north of Christian, and that's an even worse location, so I don't know. I just don't get the appeal of living on the stretch right now.)

Old 11-13-2020, 09:36 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
The Riverview wasn't great, but there were so few movie theaters in the city for so long that, as South Philly residents, it was our default go-to for many years. Whatever issues people might have with the location or the design or even the clientele, it still definitely met a big need for local residents, and its closure is a loss.

That said, I wonder about the plans for housing on the site. Columbus is such a weird, disjointed, mishmash of a road. And while I applaud any efforts to build it out and improve density, I really have to wonder who's going to pay $500k + to live smooshed in between I-95 and, essentially, a four-lane, pedestrian-unfriendly mini highway that's constantly jammed up at most hours of the day.

(I say that, but people apparently shelled out to live in those weird-ass new homes right next to the I-95 off-ramp north of Christian, and that's an even worse location, so I don't know. I just don't get the appeal of living on the stretch right now.)
They're going to build directly across the street (plot immediately to the south of Comcast building) at some point. if someone buys a house in the current strip mall, they will probably have river views from a roof-deck and river access directly across the street. I'm sure they will buffer the west side with extra insulation to block out some of 95 noise. Couple that with immediate highway access and proximity to major shopping and I think it could be desirable. Also, all of Columbus is going to start getting built up. There are only a few places in the city where you get water views and water access. I could even see a Marina opening close by now that the NYC conglomerates have bought up all the piers near Morgan's Pier and are planning housing on them. Could be a pretty sweet spot in a couple years.

Or, they could keep it retail - just way better retail than the hot mess that is there now. Movie theatres are all well and good, but to say that served a neighborhood purpose is coming from someone who doesn't live in Pennsport. If you live in the neighborhood, that place was like fightclub in the parking lot. People got jumped walking by there. It was just bad news. Cops were there every single night.

Old 11-13-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post

agreed, I don't exactly get the appeal of living along Columbus, outside easy access to the highway if you need to commute for work.

Old 11-15-2020, 04:11 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Does anyone have the details of its replacement? I sure hope not more townhouses. I would love to see some sort of entertainment venue in this plan. It would stink to see Delaware Ave turn into a boring residential road with walled off townhouse communities.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:35 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Thought it was already closed

Old 11-15-2020, 11:59 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
It would be great to see this replaced with a well designed mid rise building, similar to One Water Street. The location is convenient for commuters who work out of the city and is close enough to Passyunk and Queen Village to make it desirable.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:28 AM

2,555 posts, read 2,677,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
agreed, I don't exactly get the appeal of living along Columbus, outside easy access to the highway if you need to commute for work.
Simply location and cost. It's going to be cheaper because of those factors. It's not too far from the city. It's close enough to waterfront activities. Parking will be more available (at least for whatever is developing) with the underpass area of the highway. Some people will be able to phase out the highway factor.

One thing that does kinda scare me though is I remember some story where part of the highway fell off one time nearly missing a construction worker. I can't find it online. I think it was like 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia