U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-14-2020, 09:24 AM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,642,710 times
Reputation: 1223

Advertisements

I like to try different gyms every year or so. Any recommendations for gyms I can look into around the Media area or nearby?
I'm hoping for, in order of priority:

1. Don't want to spend more than $1500 in a year. (I can go a bit above, but it makes the option less appealing for me.)
2. No monthly fee. Can buy packs of sessions
3. community based- people will possibly socialize with each other
4. no pressure to go weekly
5. variety of abilities- not everyone else is super fit
6. has an option for personal training
7. easy parking
8. Shower would be nice but not essential

In the past, I've looked into:
Rocky Run YMCA
Lansdowne YMCA
Iron Gym Fitness
Strength for Life
Customized Phitness (thinking about choosing)
Planet Fitness
Orange Theory
Retro Fitness

Thinking about trying out:
Delco Kettleballs looks interesting.
Thomas DeVietro Strength and Conditioning (The Ready Room Morton or Swarthmore)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2020, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
Reputation: 1949
I would not recommend Planet Fitness. Especially with COVID. They have taken no extra precautions and they do not offer classes. It is more of a no thrills type of place. And why the cost are so low. Again they do not offer classes.

I would suggest LA Fitness in Springfield or the Rocky Run YMCA.

Retro Fitness is similar to Gold's Gym and is worth a look as well, but I believe is catered to more intense weight lifters/gym goers.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2020, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia Pa
921 posts, read 572,747 times
Reputation: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I like to try different gyms every year or so. Any recommendations for gyms I can look into around the Media area or nearby?
I'm hoping for, in order of priority:

1. Don't want to spend more than $1500 in a year. (I can go a bit above, but it makes the option less appealing for me.)
2. No monthly fee. Can buy packs of sessions
3. community based- people will possibly socialize with each other
4. no pressure to go weekly
5. variety of abilities- not everyone else is super fit
6. has an option for personal training
7. easy parking
8. Shower would be nice but not essential

In the past, I've looked into:
Rocky Run YMCA
Lansdowne YMCA
Iron Gym Fitness
Strength for Life
Customized Phitness (thinking about choosing)
Planet Fitness
Orange Theory
Retro Fitness

Thinking about trying out:
Delco Kettleballs looks interesting.
Thomas DeVietro Strength and Conditioning (The Ready Room Morton or Swarthmore)
What are you looking for exactly? Are you into crossfit/HIITS, heavy lifting, cardio, circuit training? Your options will vary widely based on what you're after.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2020, 07:45 PM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,642,710 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
What are you looking for exactly? Are you into crossfit/HIITS, heavy lifting, cardio, circuit training? Your options will vary widely based on what you're after.
In addition to what I mentioned, something where I'm getting a workout, but an environment where I feel like I can pace myself. People can't recognize when I get deathly exhausted except for having a personal trainer, and I just have to stop for a bit on my own. Sometimes, when I do though, I feel like I get pushed passed my limit and I start to get borderline dizzy and I just stop and say nothing for a bit when that happens. I don't like to speak much with covid around, but I wouldn't be like that normally.


I'm open to variety.
Crossfit/HIITS would probably be bad for me as it seems way too intense. Heavy lifting is not so good either unless I'm doing a little bit of heavy lifting, then a break, then doing that or something else after. Circuit training works. I don't mind cycling, yoga, and cardio, but I don't want just those things available either.
With cycling though, I wear wide sized shoes. Trying to figure out the right clips and shoes really is aggravating to me though as just me getting to a place of exercise feels like "a lot" for me. Zumba is probably okay too.

I'd considered doing a trampoline park and those seem fun, but they are usually geared towards kids even though many of the activities could be hard even for adults. I don't have a lot of upper body strength at all.

I'd be open to considering something outdoors too.


With covid, I can't/don't really want to consider a sports league right now even if it's possible. I tried one in the past and heard about another one, and it didn't work out basically.
If covid goes away, I'd consider HeyDay.


Would kayaking or canoeing be good exercise?

Running groups, I could consider going back to in addition to whatever I choose for a physical exercise setting.


There might be other things I can't think of as well.


I'm not great with form.


Orange Theory has worked well for me, but I do like to change it up and I feel like I have to be super jocky at any gym in order to be able to socialize. Only other thing I can think of where I saw socializing was a Zumba class where it was all females or all females and one male where everyone knew everyone and a few would try to talk with the new person.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2020, 02:52 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
Reputation: 1949
Based on your response above I would definitely say LA Fitness or the YMCA will meet your needs. Neither are intimidating and offer classes at a variety of levels.

Most fitness centers offer a free trial before signing up. So I would say sign up for a trial at each and see what you like best.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2020, 01:53 PM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,642,710 times
Reputation: 1223
When I looked at all the YMCAs, they charge a ridiculous amount for a single person unless I make under a certain income or am part of a family unit. Neither is feasible for me at this time.

I went to visit the LA Fitness about 4-5 years ago and about 1 year ago. 4-5 years ago, the one local to me didn't have a good attitude. They were frustrated I was already locked in with another gym even though I kept getting flyers non-stop from them about their gym and trying it out. Also, I found someone's keys or something like that and it turned out to be the person who worked at the reception desk himself and he didn't seem particularly thankful, lol. 1 year ago, the same LA Fitness seems to have had a positive makeover in staff. It's definitely had it's troubles from multiple angles.

What makes LA Fitness better than Retro, cause LA Fitness tends to be pricier?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2020, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Phila & NYC
3,579 posts, read 2,310,267 times
Reputation: 1354
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
When I looked at all the YMCAs, they charge a ridiculous amount for a single person unless I make under a certain income or am part of a family unit. Neither is feasible for me at this time.

I went to visit the LA Fitness about 4-5 years ago and about 1 year ago. 4-5 years ago, the one local to me didn't have a good attitude. They were frustrated I was already locked in with another gym even though I kept getting flyers non-stop from them about their gym and trying it out. Also, I found someone's keys or something like that and it turned out to be the person who worked at the reception desk himself and he didn't seem particularly thankful, lol. 1 year ago, the same LA Fitness seems to have had a positive makeover in staff. It's definitely had it's troubles from multiple angles.

What makes LA Fitness better than Retro, cause LA Fitness tends to be pricier?
LA has swimming pools, and hot tubs. To each his/her own but I personally would never join a gym where I could not soak in a hot tub to relax my sore muscles and body aches. Of course that is pre-covid and post-covid which hopefully will not be too far off. You can get decent deal (around 20 bucks a month) with LA if you become a "one location only" member.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2020, 04:29 AM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,642,710 times
Reputation: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
LA has swimming pools, and hot tubs. To each his/her own but I personally would never join a gym where I could not soak in a hot tub to relax my sore muscles and body aches. Of course that is pre-covid and post-covid which hopefully will not be too far off. You can get decent deal (around 20 bucks a month) with LA if you become a "one location only" member.
My location used to not have a pool. Looks like they added one. Interesting. And they might have a juice bar now too. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2020, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
Reputation: 1949
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
My location used to not have a pool. Looks like they added one. Interesting. And they might have a juice bar now too. Thank you.
LA Fitness just seems a bit more low key I guess? Retro Fitness reminds me of something like a Gold's Gym which is centered around intense gym goers and attracts that type of crowd, where LA seems a bit more laid back, while offering things like classes, which PF does not.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2020, 08:50 AM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,642,710 times
Reputation: 1223
With retro and I think kinda of LA too, but a bit less, it's hard for me to attend many classes since I work 9-6 PM M-F. That is a logistic I have to consider too (thankfully).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top