U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 10:33 AM

272 posts, read 149,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
So frustrating to hear this take.

You know anyone who has been lost to covid?

Didn't think so.

It's not even a take. It's pure lunacy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 06:30 PM

8,328 posts, read 8,724,808 times
Did they (elected officials) ever put the eviction moratorium back in place?

IF not, then this current surge could have a different (well, same but different) kind of negative economic effect. Maybe not as many people will lose their jobs as in the spring. But still a whole lot. Just think about all the rents and mortgages that won't be paid.

Another federal stimulus package? (and the pros and cons that would come with it)

Old 11-18-2020, 09:05 PM

237 posts, read 195,731 times
If you READ the actual link on the religious services It says "Celebration of services are allowed, but with a reduced density of 5% or 5 persons per 1,000 sq. ft." meaning only 5% of the normal capacity of the building may be present in person. So not 200 people, 10 people. The rest have to watch it on the internet. Please click on the links provided and read carefully for a complete understanding of all the rules.

I don't suppose it would pay museums to pay staff and clean and have guards present if they only let in 5%. It would be great for the 5% though! I'd love to be the only person in there walking around but I can't see them opening the building just for me. Some of the museums in question might be city run?

I DO feel sad for the restaurants and shops. The choices I did not understand last time were leaving Target open but closing Kohls. Yes, Target has groceries but people were in there buying bathing suits! I wonder if it will end up extending to the suburbs?

Old 11-18-2020, 10:59 PM

6,146 posts, read 2,276,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Is that restriction list really....for real?

So....
-- churches can stay open and have services....but residents can't even have a couple of people over for dinner?
-- Retail can stay open, but a museum or library has to close?

My own personal bubble is very small (and I where a mask AND gloves), but give me a break.

If that fool is unable to control the homeless in the parkway how can he control what people do on Thanksgiving? LOL

Old 11-18-2020, 11:07 PM

Wonder what will be said when the numbers continue to up all through December when all the restaurants and no one is going out to eat indoors

Old 11-18-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The church aspect infuriates me and I don't care about religious freedoms. Small businesses are forced to close, left in the dark as to when they may receive assistance, and churches can stay open, how is that fair?

Museum closures are also ridiculous. Minimal contact with people, you don't touch anything and its very easy to social distance, remove seating, arrange walkways, etc.

Lastly, the closure of fitness centers hits me hard since a good chunk of my life is dedicated to fitness, health, well-being, etc. Not only does this interfere with physical health, but mental health as well. Physical fitness provides relief to so many people and is entirely voluntary.

I spoke with a few friends in medicine and they said the same thing... Many studies performed found very little Covid impact from fitness centers, they are actually among the safer indoor centers with proper precautions in place. The super spreader is people having private events/gatherings at their homes and huge events (rallies) with close contact.

Also, the s***show store known as Trader Joes, Target, Walmart, etc. stay open and grow their deep pockets, Amazon is quickly becoming the richest company in history, yet small businesses, restaurants, gyms, museums, etc. are suffering in great deal.

If the state/federal government offered immediate assistance then its fair, but forcing these businesses to close with zero plan in place?...I say all these businesses should get together and say screw it we are staying open. What is the city going to do?

At what point does the "solution" become worse than the problem?
Trader Joes and Walmart sell food

Old 11-19-2020, 12:40 AM

1,937 posts, read 1,116,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
If that fool is unable to control the homeless in the parkway how can he control what people do on Thanksgiving? LOL
I honestly think there was a delicate line being played until the election, so as not to disrupt some voters who are passionate about affordable housing, and allowing Trump to jump on it with the press and disparaging potential votes. So they handled that situation delicately.

The Homeless encampment has been cleared for over a month now though.

He is not going to be able to control Thanksgiving. I think it is more of a statement of "hey, this is what everyone should be following as an example". The evidence is that the virus spreads in groups of 10 or more without mask wearing, etc.

Please follow these guidelines to protect yourself and family.

Is it enforceable. No. Not at all.

I honestly wish the restrictions with retailers were 10% - 15%. It seems much more reasonable. I believe current restrictions are somewhere between 30% - 50%.

I will say I am glad non essential retail will remain open though. Because in the spring that was all shut down. And it made it a nightmare living in the city relying on public transit.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I honestly think there was a delicate line being played until the election, so as not to disrupt some voters who are passionate about affordable housing, and allowing Trump to jump on it with the press and disparaging potential votes. So they handled that situation delicately.

The Homeless encampment has been cleared for over a month now though.

He is not going to be able to control Thanksgiving. I think it is more of a statement of "hey, this is what everyone should be following as an example". The evidence is that the virus spreads in groups of 10 or more without mask wearing, etc.

Please follow these guidelines to protect yourself and family.

Is it enforceable. No. Not at all.

I honestly wish the restrictions with retailers were 10% - 15%. It seems much more reasonable. I believe current restrictions are somewhere between 30% - 50%.

I will say I am glad non essential retail will remain open though. Because in the spring that was all shut down. And it made it a nightmare living in the city relying on public transit.

I think the restaurants in conshohocken and KOP are going to be open

Old 11-19-2020, 04:50 AM

8,328 posts, read 8,724,808 times
I would support keeping all businesses open -- with reduced capacity.....and yes, higher than 5%. Rowhomecity's 15% sounds good to me...even 25%.

Then at least more owners could decide if it's worth staying open. It would give them a few more options for trying to stay in business.

And because we as consumers and residents can decide where we are going to go. IF we were to go some place and the crowd/capacity/conditions/protocols don't meet a level that makes us comfortable -- then we don't go in or stay.

One of my main concerns is economic. And what the shutdowns are doing to people's livelihoods, retirement plans, ability to keep a roof over their heads. Maybe that's because my bubble is very small, I take all precautions and make decisions about where I go and with whom. And as I said it's tight circle.

But I've said all along we can't kill the economy and people's ability to make a living...without a safety net. Whether that's eviction moratoria, stimulus money, whatever....making so making businesses close is crazy. IMO.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:26 AM

149 posts, read 37,905 times
Anyone else puzzled about the eviction moratoriums? It seems that the city is assuming that all landlords are rich and all tenants are victims. I know for a fact that is not true. There are so many vulnerable, small property landlords that face the same fate as the tenants if rent is not paid. And there are people taking advantage of it because now no one is getting evicted for a long time (there were 20,000 eviction cases PRE-COVID). Think about what that will do to landlords.

The other thing I found interesting is that there are no jury trials in the city. Krasner's office made the announcement. So, basically, there is no working court system? With all the technology and ability to organize social distancing, how can we allow this all to indefinitely be discontinued? If there is anything that IS critical to our country, I would think due process, timely court trials, and the enforcement of laws would be a part.

For example, businesses have found ways to conduct BAU remotely. Why can't the court system find ways to do it too? These courts and buildings are large. Shut down the public from attending, slow down the number of court trials, and move forward carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia