U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 07:33 AM

3,513 posts, read 1,884,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
I'm tired of it, too, and frankly, I don't think we should bother re-litigating it here. If you are a person who's reached this point in 2020 and still don't think COVID is anything to worry about, then nothing we say here is going to change your mind, so please take it elsewhere. I'd rather we focus on the thread topic--what another lockdown means for this city, and how we all can make it through until January.

I've thrown in the towel with trying to talk or convince anyone. So my stance is easy.

I have known folks who have gotten covid and gotten very very sick. No, they did not die but there is a wide range of "hell" between healthy and not dying. I also know a coworkers who kid got sick, again I can't imagine the agony of watching your kid fight for his life and knowing there isn't a damn thing you can do about.
I am going to try and do every thing to stay on the healthy side.

like everyone else I am fighting covid fatigue and the emotional toll it's taking on me.

The one big thing I am going to do is try and practice Kindness. right now between politics, pandemics, lock downs and holidays it seems like we are one match away for exploding.

I will try and support my local restaurants as much as possible and I will pray.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 07:36 AM

3,513 posts, read 1,884,557 times
Hasn't the city and the state already said they are not going to try and enforce these regulations? they are simply hoping that people will do the best they can. If you have 12 people over for Thanksgiving, no they will not send the cops out. If you decide to have a block party celebration? yes the police will break that up.

Old 11-19-2020, 10:51 AM

149 posts, read 38,270 times
No worries everyone, our Council President is making sure he's tackling the tough issues during this crisis:

https://whyy.org/articles/darrell-cl...berry-mansion/

I'm not a big fan of roof decks, primarily because they can cause maintenance issues, but I just can't see how this is a priority unless it's to block any sort of "gentrification" of SM. Oh, that can't be it.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:06 PM

8,330 posts, read 8,728,054 times
I second what ilovephilly79 said. Courts and other government offices have to keep functioning.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:37 AM

3,608 posts, read 2,328,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I second what ilovephilly79 said. Courts and other government offices have to keep functioning.
Which raises the question should jury duty still be mandatory in this age of Covid? Especially for those in their 60's?

Does anyone really believe this lock-down will end Jan1?

Old 11-20-2020, 08:27 AM

149 posts, read 38,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Which raises the question should jury duty still be mandatory in this age of Covid? Especially for those in their 60's?

Does anyone really believe this lock-down will end Jan1?
If Krasner actually wanted to conduct jury trials, he should have been planning for the second wave. Other federal judges have been adjusting and tweaking all summer. While I'm sure courts will be impacted/slowed during this second wave, critical trials will hopefully continue forward.

Quote:
These protocols include reconfiguring courtrooms and jury deliberation spaces to allow at least six-feet of social distancing by participants, the liberal use of masks or transparent face shields or both, the strategic placement of plexiglass barriers, vetting prospective jurors for health vulnerabilities or fears of exposing loved ones, reliance on technology to present evidence, and the constant cleaning of furniture and surfaces.

“Every day we evaluated and reevaluated our processes, and made adjustments throughout the trial,” said Judge Caldwell, who presided over an eight-week drug trafficking trial in April. “Every judge has to do it differently, depending on how busy it is in the courthouse, how bad the virus is in the community, and whether there are any active cases in the courthouse. There are so many variables, you could never come up with a plan that fits for everyone. But we trial judges are very adept at having to adapt and modify a plan on short notice. This is just another one of those situations, although on steroids.”
https://www.uscourts.gov/news/2020/0...uring-pandemic

Old 11-20-2020, 10:09 AM

29,194 posts, read 28,266,542 times
When I was about seven years old, I asked my mom why Mr. Altman the tailor and dry cleaner wore long sleeved shirts in the summer when it was very hot and humid. She told me that he was covering the number that had been tattooed on his arm.

I find your comment about religious freedom offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The church aspect infuriates me and I don't care about religious freedoms. Small businesses are forced to close, left in the dark as to when they may receive assistance, and churches can stay open, how is that fair?

Museum closures are also ridiculous. Minimal contact with people, you don't touch anything and its very easy to social distance, remove seating, arrange walkways, etc.

Lastly, the closure of fitness centers hits me hard since a good chunk of my life is dedicated to fitness, health, well-being, etc. Not only does this interfere with physical health, but mental health as well. Physical fitness provides relief to so many people and is entirely voluntary.

I spoke with a few friends in medicine and they said the same thing... Many studies performed found very little Covid impact from fitness centers, they are actually among the safer indoor centers with proper precautions in place. The super spreader is people having private events/gatherings at their homes and huge events (rallies) with close contact.

Also, the s***show store known as Trader Joes, Target, Walmart, etc. stay open and grow their deep pockets, Amazon is quickly becoming the richest company in history, yet small businesses, restaurants, gyms, museums, etc. are suffering in great deal.

If the state/federal government offered immediate assistance then its fair, but forcing these businesses to close with zero plan in place?...I say all these businesses should get together and say screw it we are staying open. What is the city going to do?

At what point does the "solution" become worse than the problem?

Old 11-20-2020, 10:43 AM

1,262 posts, read 883,248 times
LOL!!!! I know much better than to submit to a Wolf!!! This is just ridiculous and clearly violates the Right to Privacy. Please do not tell me that you are actually going to submit to a Wolf controlling your life like this.

I gotta say that it is really hilarious to think how a Wolf got into governor's office in the first place. The alternative must've been a pretty bad choice by most people for them to vote for a Wolf as their governor. I guess the Boy falsely Cried Wolf too many times. This is so laughable and hilarious!!!

Old 11-20-2020, 10:56 AM

137 posts, read 115,654 times
I feel bad for restaurants. The lack of leadership from the federal government has been so freaking awful. Restaurant and bar owners should be getting paid and their employees receiving support so they can close or operate at reduced capacity until things improve. But of course, GOP leadership doesn't want that - they'd rather make the Democratic mayors and Governors look bad for protecting public health, which is exactly what our government should be doing!

But here come the Trump trolls who are doing exactly what he and the GOP leadership in the state want them to do.

Luckily, the warm weather streak looks to continue in Philly and outdoor dining has been succesful. Here's to hoping we have a warm winter and outdoor dining can continue throughout!

Old 11-20-2020, 10:57 AM

137 posts, read 115,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
LOL!!!! I know much better than to submit to a Wolf!!! This is just ridiculous and clearly violates the Right to Privacy. Please do not tell me that you are actually going to submit to a Wolf controlling your life like this.

I gotta say that it is really hilarious to think how a Wolf got into governor's office in the first place. The alternative must've been a pretty bad choice by most people for them to vote for a Wolf as their governor. I guess the Boy falsely Cried Wolf too many times. This is so laughable and hilarious!!!

Wolf won both of his elections by pretty wide margins (especially considering how close PA elections usually are!). He's a very popular Governor. Back to Virginia for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia