U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Reputation: 115

Advertisements

I'm not sure if anyone here has done this particular drive before, but:

If one lived in the suburbs of Philly and wanted to drive down to Charlotte, would you suggest braving I-95 through DC and Baltimore, or try to avoid that area by going out to I-76 West and then down I-81? Any suggestions or insight is welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2008, 06:56 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
I have visited family in Charlotte, and I can attest to the fact that I-95 to I-85 is the most direct route. Whether it's always the "fastest" route is a bit of a crapshoot. You'll help to maximize your chances if you can travel off-hours between Philly and Fredericksburg, VA. The latter city is more or less the southern edge of the DC metro so you'll want to avoid rush hour and the weekend warriors heading to and through there. The rest of it should be a relative breeze.

That said, your alternative route is some good outside-the-box thinking. It will probably be more scenic, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I have visited family in Charlotte, and I can attest to the fact that I-95 to I-85 is the most direct route. Whether it's always the "fastest" route is a bit of a crapshoot. You'll help to maximize your chances if you can travel off-hours between Philly and Fredericksburg, VA. The latter city is more or less the southern edge of the DC metro so you'll want to avoid rush hour and the weekend warriors heading to and through there. The rest of it should be a relative breeze.

That said, your alternative route is some good outside-the-box thinking. It will probably be more scenic, at least.

how long did it take you doing the I-95 route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
 
1,723 posts, read 5,255,116 times
Reputation: 1359
You could always take I-95 south from Philly then take the Harbor Tunnel through Baltimore, I-97 towards Annapolis then US 301 south, picking up I-95 south of Fredericksburg, VA. This helps you avoid the traffic in the D.C. area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You could always take I-95 south from Philly then take the Harbor Tunnel through Baltimore, I-97 towards Annapolis then US 301 south, picking up I-95 south of Fredericksburg, VA. This helps you avoid the traffic in the D.C. area.

interesting. Have you ever done this route? Do you think it would save a lot of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
 
Location: DC
3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
Reputation: 1346
Best advice is to try to hit DC in the late morning-early afternoon (no later than 2:00). Otherwise, be late, as traffic down to Fredericksburg generally hangs around until at least 8:30 (especially on a Friday).

When I came down to Fredericksburg from Philly, I usually took 95 to the Harbor Tunnel, then 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway), then hop onto the Beltway until I get to 301. Or to completely avoid Baltimore and Washington, you can get on 896 in Delaware and take it to 301/50 and just make sure to follow the exit for 301 South after the Bay Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Or to completely avoid Baltimore and Washington, you can get on 896 in Delaware and take it to 301/50 and just make sure to follow the exit for 301 South after the Bay Bridge.
I completely forgot about the Delmarva route! <slaps head> That's a great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
For the record, from Center City Philly, it took 10-11 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
how long did it take you doing the I-95 route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 AM
 
16 posts, read 27,460 times
Reputation: 16
I used to live in Allentown and now in Charlotte. I always take 81 back to PA. It's a beautiful and easy ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I completely forgot about the Delmarva route! <slaps head> That's a great idea!
so you're saying to take 301 over the Bay Bridge? How's that traffice going towards DC around mid-day on a Friday? Also, how's the traffic in Northern VA along 301?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top