U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 11:51 AM

7,181 posts, read 6,254,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Which is fine.

But you expressed incredulity that this holiday market made money.

Obviously, lots of people do have interest in it.

Projecting one's own tastes and preferences onto the whole of the (community|society) usually doesn't work as an explanatory method.
Yup, this sums up a lot of the anger and bitterness we see today. "I don't like or understand XYZ, therefore its stupid and should not exist"...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 04:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 645,912 times
Quote:
Which is fine.

But you expressed incredulity that this holiday market made money.

Obviously, lots of people do have interest in it.

Projecting one's own tastes and preferences onto the whole of the (community|society) usually doesn't work as an explanatory method.
I rarely come to anyone's defense on these forums, but I think moneymkt meant to ask, why is the Christmas Village allowed to make money? Meaning, if Mayor Kenney shut everything else down, why is that still in operation.

If that is truly what was meant, I can sort of see the point. That said, it's not going to stop me from going on a weekday, because I simply love the market and buy a new piece from the same vendor every year.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:38 PM

134 posts, read 36,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I rarely come to anyone's defense on these forums, but I think moneymkt meant to ask, why is the Christmas Village allowed to make money? Meaning, if Mayor Kenney shut everything else down, why is that still in operation.

If that is truly what was meant, I can sort of see the point. That said, it's not going to stop me from going on a weekday, because I simply love the market and buy a new piece from the same vendor every year.
Yes, that is how I read it. It was worded a little strange and I missed it at first but he does question why the Christmas Village is ABLE to make money in December. And I feel the same. I don't want any of the vendors to be hurt, and so I'm not complaining that they will make money. However, there are a ton of businesses in the city that pay taxes and are forced to shut down and crash and burn this holiday season. Seems somewhat hypocritical.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:27 PM

8,247 posts, read 4,026,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Yes, that is how I read it. It was worded a little strange and I missed it at first but he does question why the Christmas Village is ABLE to make money in December. And I feel the same. I don't want any of the vendors to be hurt, and so I'm not complaining that they will make money. However, there are a ton of businesses in the city that pay taxes and are forced to shut down and crash and burn this holiday season. Seems somewhat hypocritical.
Okay. Apparently I missed that.

But keep in mind that the Christmas Village is an outdoor retail bazaar. Except for Käthe Wohlfahrt's shop, which is fully enclosed and presumably subject to the same capacity limits as any other indoor retail space*, all the other merchants at the Christmas Village operate in booths open to the outside and too small to hold more than the merchant and maybe one or two browsers at a time (if indeed they're set up to allow browsers to enter; some of the booths, especially the vendors of food items, are set up so that customers come up to a counter, and only the employees are in the booth). IOW, this market already socially distances itself partway, and it's not too difficult to add the six-feet-apart parts or fully separate the food and drink from the non-food-and-drink.

No retail shops in the city have been required to close this time around, in contrast to the statewide lockdown last spring. But the city has slapped severe capacity restrictions (five customers per 1000 square feet) on them, and some shops have opted to close their doors instead of enforce them.

BTW, you don't think those merchants in the Christmas Village operate tax-free, do you? They pay the same business taxes the permanent retail shops do.

*The Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas boutique is also laid out so that customers all enter at one end and follow a predetermined path to the exit, which means that limiting the number of customers inside at any one time is much easier.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:29 AM

3,593 posts, read 2,317,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post

Christmas Village an outdoor event is much safer then say Walmart or a grocery store. The problem with the bars and indoor dining is people are going to spend most of their time there un-masked.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:52 AM

6,109 posts, read 2,262,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Christmas Village an outdoor event is much safer then say Walmart or a grocery store. The problem with the bars and indoor dining is people are going to spend most of their time there un-masked.

Kind of hard to eat with a mask on

Old 11-29-2020, 12:55 PM

3,593 posts, read 2,317,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Kind of hard to eat with a mask on
Exactly, which is why indoor dining was shut down. Anything indoors is much riskier then outdoors.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:44 AM

134 posts, read 36,046 times
Quote:
Okay. Apparently I missed that.

But keep in mind that the Christmas Village is an outdoor retail bazaar. Except for Käthe Wohlfahrt's shop, which is fully enclosed and presumably subject to the same capacity limits as any other indoor retail space*, all the other merchants at the Christmas Village operate in booths open to the outside and too small to hold more than the merchant and maybe one or two browsers at a time (if indeed they're set up to allow browsers to enter; some of the booths, especially the vendors of food items, are set up so that customers come up to a counter, and only the employees are in the booth). IOW, this market already socially distances itself partway, and it's not too difficult to add the six-feet-apart parts or fully separate the food and drink from the non-food-and-drink.

No retail shops in the city have been required to close this time around, in contrast to the statewide lockdown last spring. But the city has slapped severe capacity restrictions (five customers per 1000 square feet) on them, and some shops have opted to close their doors instead of enforce them.

BTW, you don't think those merchants in the Christmas Village operate tax-free, do you? They pay the same business taxes the permanent retail shops do.

*The Käthe Wohlfahrt Christmas boutique is also laid out so that customers all enter at one end and follow a predetermined path to the exit, which means that limiting the number of customers inside at any one time is much easier.
Yes, it is outside, but as someone who has went every year for the past 10 years, that thing gets uncomfortably crowded. The first year it was in the new Love Park, I left because it was hard to walk and navigate. It felt like a RTM outside. Regardless, it is outdoors and it is safer solely due to that fact.

Btw, do brick and mortar business not pay more taxes? Property taxes/rent at the very least. I'm not sure what vendors pay to sell at the Xmas village.

It will be interesting to see what the restaurant lawsuit achieves in all of this. I still believe that the city must compensate these businesses if it is going to mandate that they close. Of course, the city is broke...

Old 11-30-2020, 04:47 PM

6,109 posts, read 2,262,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Yes, it is outside, but as someone who has went every year for the past 10 years, that thing gets uncomfortably crowded. The first year it was in the new Love Park, I left because it was hard to walk and navigate. It felt like a RTM outside. Regardless, it is outdoors and it is safer solely due to that fact.

Btw, do brick and mortar business not pay more taxes? Property taxes/rent at the very least. I'm not sure what vendors pay to sell at the Xmas village.

It will be interesting to see what the restaurant lawsuit achieves in all of this. I still believe that the city must compensate these businesses if it is going to mandate that they close. Of course, the city is broke...
The idiot mayor said he needs federal funding in order to do that

Old 11-30-2020, 07:37 PM

8,247 posts, read 4,026,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The idiot mayor said he needs federal funding in order to do that
It probably doesn't make Mayor Kenney any less of an idiot, but many state and local governments now find themselves staring down fiscal holes thanks to COVID.

One of the things that has held up a second round of coronavirus relief is the Democrats' insistence that state and local governments get some relief too; somehow, the Republicans don't consider this of any great concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia