U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 08:34 PM

4,483 posts, read 8,826,784 times

Advertisements

Soo I went to Philly I have customize plates that says NY. For some reason I found lots of cars were cutting me off. Are Philadelphia drivers normally aggressive drivers or is it that they don't like people from NY?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 07:02 AM

551 posts, read 358,799 times
As a resident of Lower Bucks close to Philadelphia, I can attest that's pretty much normal for here. Especially on I 95, Street Road, Woodhaven Road and the Roosevelt Blvd. Lots of reckless driving and wannabe racers on all those roads. I drive a Toyota Corolla and that happens to me a lot, it took awhile for me to get used to

Old 12-08-2020, 07:33 AM

3,590 posts, read 2,315,665 times
Yep! Philly drivers are aggressive and many just flat out bad drivers. They have no respect for people walking across the streets, and they seem to have problems putting their vehicles between two lines in parking lots.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:48 AM

776 posts, read 378,133 times
Agreed. Take a scroll down the Schuykill Expressway one time if you want to see the cream-of-the-crop of agressive d-bag driving.

Not to be outdone by NJ drivers as a whole. Collectively, the worst of the worst.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:24 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,196,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Soo I went to Philly I have customize plates that says NY. For some reason I found lots of cars were cutting me off. Are Philadelphia drivers normally aggressive drivers or is it that they don't like people from NY?
There are a lot of NYC transplants here. The last 4-5 years of data show more people moving from NYC to Philly than Philly->NYC. So I don't think it's your plates. If you had "Go Cowboys" or similar message on your plate, that'd be another story

But as other people have already said, Philly drivers generally suck - blowing through stop signs/lights, passing in ways you wouldn't think physically possible, tailgating, speeding, etc. Generally a lot of What Not to Do behavior. I moved here from NC 12 years ago. Even though I learned to drive in suburban NYC (Bergen County NJ, where traffic is heavy and giving right of way an alien concept) I was mildly freaked out when driving here. No accidents or even close calls, but OMG, just kinda dazzled by some of the knuckleheaded drivers. Now driving's a lot easier because I assume that, for example, even tho I'm going 5mph over the speed limit the guy behind me wants to go 10+ over and will do pretty much anything to make that happen. It's the kind of "defensive driving" they never taught you in high school, and it works pretty well - just assume the worst and drive accordingly.

And yeah, Jersey drivers suck, too (probably a subliminal response to all those jug-handle turns and traffic circles!)

Old 12-08-2020, 12:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,100,634 times
Yes, as long as you do not have a Cowboys themed license plate border or Cowboys bumper sticker, it is just the effect of Philadelphia driving.

New Jersey drivers are the worst. NY is really not any better. So I am not sure why you would recognize a difference. lol

Old 12-08-2020, 01:29 PM

589 posts, read 520,877 times
Philly area drivers are arguably THE worst drivers I have ever experienced. I think the drivers in DC are slightly worse but maybe I just had a couple of bad experiences down there. New York drivers, in my experience, quite a bit better. New York drivers are aggressive and impatient but ultimately seem to understand that sometimes people need to merge or change lanes. There is less tailgating as well. Philly drivers are not only aggressive but are completely irrational and dumb as rocks. Driving in philly you will see constant high risk low reward behavior. Be thankful your trip (probably) didn't take you to Lincoln Drive or Roosevelt Blvd.

Old 12-08-2020, 03:10 PM

627 posts, read 324,761 times
New Yorkers suck. Get out.

/thread

Old 12-08-2020, 09:02 PM

589 posts, read 893,693 times
ok, I grew up 10 minutes from NYC and now live 30 minutes outside of Philly and drive regularly. NYC is without a doubt, the most aggressive and obnoxious driving I've ever seen. If you are coming from NYC, driving along Philly should be a piece of cake.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:45 AM

1,507 posts, read 998,051 times
It could be that you are a slowpoke and impede the flow of traffic. If you are in the correct lane, this shouldn't be happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
As a resident of Lower Bucks close to Philadelphia, I can attest that's pretty much normal for here. Especially on I 95, Street Road, Woodhaven Road and the Roosevelt Blvd. Lots of reckless driving and wannabe racers on all those roads. I drive a Toyota Corolla and that happens to me a lot, it took awhile for me to get used to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia