U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 08:46 AM

330 posts, read 124,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
With that budget I would wait if you can and keep seeking Rittenhouse and Fitler Square for a house with a garage. In the Spring, there should be a lot more inventory to choose from. You can also look in Graduate Hospital which is just south of Rittenhouse but some areas of the neighborhood are nicer than others..the northern part of the hood is the nicest. Personally I would just wait and stick with Rittenhouse if you have that ability to shop around.
I do agree. Grad Hospital is niceish, but someone with a 1.3M budget will find it dull. The houses are almost all 19th century working class rows that have been renovated/flipped to varying degree of quality and it's not a particularly pretty neighborhood. The popularity is because of location and that it's the most affordable place to buy a rowhouse for young married professionals making 200kish while still being walking distance of Rittenhouse. Hence also the popularity with Penn professionals.

If OP's wife is working near Rittenhouse (and I assume Market or off it) then some parts of Grad Hospital are actually quite a distance to traverse on foot twice a day, especially the western portions closer to the river where some of the new developments are.

There were certainly sales of modest SFH rowhouses in Rittenhouse/Fitler last year for 1.3 and under (down to about 800kish). Most didn't come with garages but it does happen. I would be patient and wait for the spring market. There's a building inventory of people who delayed listing their houses till the vaccine is commonplace. But they will list, eventually. The simple factors of deaths, divorces and relocations can only be delayed so long.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 09:02 AM

464 posts, read 195,593 times
^^^ I agree. There is no point in settling for a place who's main cachet is that it's near another neighborhood when you have a budget that supports actually living in said neighborhood.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:02 PM

7,172 posts, read 6,247,389 times
^ Agree as well. Graduate Hospital is a nice area, but its duller, average aesthetics, and most amenities are outside of the neighborhood (closer to Rittenhouse or Broad St). $1.3M is more in line with the OPs preferred location of Rittenhouse. It will be on the tight side for their wish list, but its a matter of watching and playing the market right. Increasing to $1.5M will also add many more options (if that's possible).

Not to get off topic, but its a shame Graduate Hospital doesn't have more large/mixed use buildings on certain corners or streets to break up the monotony (it was possible 15 years ago, but not), and even more a shame that its a bedroom community. Many corners could have some sort of restaurant, bar, market, coffee shop, etc. There's quite a few stretches that require a significant walk just to get a coffee. Lets hope Washington Ave continues to grow as a dense, mixed use corridor in its new life, that will balance out GHo a bit.

Sorry to those who live in GHo, its not by any means bad, just meh to me, especially if I am spending that kind of money on a home.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:09 PM

131 posts, read 112,579 times
My suggestion for GHO was because of the amount of new SFH developments along the Washington Ave corridor which offer what the OP is looking for in terms of price, garages and bedrooms. Agreed it's a longer walk to Rittenhouse Sq, for sure. The new mixed-use developments these townhouses are part of will have plenty of retail, so that's a plus for a couple years down the road. I agree they can wait and probably get a good price on a townhouse with garage in the Rittenhouse/Fitler area, but GHO has more options on the market now.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:44 PM

921 posts, read 573,939 times
I would also suggest the OP look in that strange little corridor east of 16th, west of Broad, north of around Christian, south of Lombard. While technically most of this falls under Grad Hospital, this section stands alone a bit for some reason. Maybe developers couldn't buy entire blocks or swaths of homes/lots for new construction in this space? I really don't know. Regardless, some unique places pop up occasionally. Here's an example of one with parking and a cool roofdeck: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...8362351_zpid/?

You're close to Rittenhouse, relatively close to Passyunk Sq., get the western South Street corridor which is cool in it's own right, a block or so off Broad for subway access anywhere you want in the city, and a quieter/calmer home locale.

Old 12-18-2020, 10:06 AM

252 posts, read 186,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
^ Agree as well. Graduate Hospital is a nice area, but its duller, average aesthetics, and most amenities are outside of the neighborhood (closer to Rittenhouse or Broad St). $1.3M is more in line with the OPs preferred location of Rittenhouse. It will be on the tight side for their wish list, but its a matter of watching and playing the market right. Increasing to $1.5M will also add many more options (if that's possible).

Not to get off topic, but its a shame Graduate Hospital doesn't have more large/mixed use buildings on certain corners or streets to break up the monotony (it was possible 15 years ago, but not), and even more a shame that its a bedroom community. Many corners could have some sort of restaurant, bar, market, coffee shop, etc. There's quite a few stretches that require a significant walk just to get a coffee. Lets hope Washington Ave continues to grow as a dense, mixed use corridor in its new life, that will balance out GHo a bit.

Sorry to those who live in GHo, its not by any means bad, just meh to me, especially if I am spending that kind of money on a home.
This is why I left GHO. I had to leave the neighborhood to do much of anything. I felt like it was a lot of the negatives of a city without much of the benefit. I was just above Washington Ave and it was filthy and honestly pretty sketchy. I had a 2 car garage there and a huge, nice house but it didn't matter anymore. Also the walks to Rittenhouse just felt longer and longer. I'm always surprised to see people praising it like they do but then I realize that there are other areas of the neighborhood that are nicer than where I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia