U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:46 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,740,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrlane View Post
Also................. Furlong? I found a few homes I liked in that town.
I don't know Williamsport. Furlong is in central Bucks County. It is beautiful rolling countryside that has been developed with mostly sprawling McMansions on huge lots. It is for people who want to be as insulated as possible from all the unpleasent things in life in a quiet, buholic setting. (not a bad thing btw). The only downside is you will spend a lot of time in your Range Rover getting around. The roads are narrow country lanes, there are no freeways and Shopping malls are few and far between. A trip into the city for a museum or a night on the town is an expedition to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,967,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Ah yes the outsiders trendy stereotype of life on the Mainline surfaces yet again. Very inspiring but why settle with West Goshen or Wallingford? Since you are up on your high horse pounding your chest be a real pioneer , isn't Chester or Camden even ess materialistic/snobbish than Wallingford?
Thanks rain for yet again providing an actual example of the behavior to which I was referring.

How do you explain when someone who recently moved to LM from the DC area, and likes it btw, also describes it as "one of the most materialistic places on earth"?

I guess they are just outsiders who don't "get" the people who live there, right?

Again, I implore you to take off your rose colored glasses and climb down from that ivory tower in which you've resided for far too long.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrlane View Post
Is anyone familiar with the town Williamsport? Whats your opinion on that area?
Its central PA...its beautiful, wooded and culturally dull. State College PA, home to my alma mater, Penn State, is one of my favorite places in PA.

Williamsport is less than an hour from State College but honestly if you like any culture at all, State College is the place to be. The university has concerts and an art museum, sports, and a great walkable down town with the general collegiate town feel that I really love and miss.

I would stick to State college or a half hour drive from there if you want any type of convenience lifestyle; living in the sticks is great for a weekend but I like chain stores/restaurants, the occasional mall, and municipal sewer, water, electricity, DSL, and satellite tv at the very least...State College has all this stuff where a place like Williamsport may not...

You should check out State College, Loch Haven and Bellefonte as well...Bellefonte is quaint and has some beautiful old homes.

Here's a listing for a home out that way with a good description of the area:
Find a Home - Property Listing

Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
To merrlane, I might also suggest that you post this in the general Pennsylvania forum as you're likely to get even more variety there. For obvious reasons, this forum is likely to be Philly-centric.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:38 PM

190 posts, read 627,677 times
Default Centre County

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Its central PA...its beautiful, wooded and culturally dull. State College PA, home to my alma mater, Penn State, is one of my favorite places in PA.

Williamsport is less than an hour from State College but honestly if you like any culture at all, State College is the place to be. The university has concerts and an art museum, sports, and a great walkable down town with the general collegiate town feel that I really love and miss.

I would stick to State college or a half hour drive from there if you want any type of convenience lifestyle; living in the sticks is great for a weekend but I like chain stores/restaurants, the occasional mall, and municipal sewer, water, electricity, DSL, and satellite tv at the very least...State College has all this stuff where a place like Williamsport may not...

You should check out State College, Loch Haven and Bellefonte as well...Bellefonte is quaint and has some beautiful old homes.

Here's a listing for a home out that way with a good description of the area:
Find a Home - Property Listing

I could not agree more! Centre County is my favorite place in PA. I love the exictement of downtown State College, with all the students and the urban like feel. Yet, State College is also very rural, with beautiful mountains, forests, and rolling meadows. Great recreational opportunities, like hiking, mountain biking, world class fishing, and so on. It is also very safe, and has a great school system. Bellefonte is another great town, with amazing architucture and charm, as well as great schools. Boalsburg and Lemont also have great historic charm. Boalsburg is home to the Pennsylvania Military Museum and has claimed to be the founder of Memorial day. Lemont and Boalsburg have State College schools. Some other outlining areas are Penns Valley, made up of many small towns, Philipsburg, and the Bald Eagle area. Finding a home on an acre shouldn't be any problem, although most are newer construction. I personaly love the charming neighborhoods of State College, were you can have a house built in the '30's on a .3 of an acre within walking distance to campus. Here are some links to help you:

State College and Centre County Homes, Real Estate in Central PA > Home
State College, PA - Home of the Penn State University
State College, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Downtown State College Pennsylvania
Borough of State College Government
Centre County Government: Home Page
Centre County, PA
Central Pennsylvania CVB : Hotels, Attractions & Tours For State College PA
Victorian Bellefonte (http://bellefonte.com/index.shtml - broken link)
bellefonte.net - Home (http://bellefonte.net/joomla/ - broken link)
State College Area School District
Bellefonte Area School District, 318 North Allegheny Street, Bellefonte, PA 16823

Good luck to you!

P.S. Go Nittany Lions!!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 PM

56 posts, read 208,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
The only downside is you will spend a lot of time in your Range Rover getting around.
crap................ I'm going to have to get a range rover? I was planning on a mini van but thats not going to do it huh? geeeze with the cost of gas I'm going to have to figure out how to squeeze 4 kids on a scooter. lol

Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 PM

1,045 posts, read 4,101,243 times
My boyfriend's brother lives in Williamsport and they grew up in Altoona. He says it is kind of boring there, and doesn't really like it so much. This is coming from a guy who grew up in Altoona....I grew up in Blue Bell and I would probably hate it there, because I am used to being relatively close to Philly and 15 mins from KOP....I would not want to live in State College past the years I spent in college because it is too small town for me as well.

That being said, I LOVE Blue Bell. I can't even begin to describe my love affair! It is close enough to the more rural areas, yet not too far from the city. Everyone is really friendly, and I grew up with the same friends. I also like that the area is still diverse. Wissahickon has kids from Ambler/Pennllyn with less money, and kids who were quite fortunate from Lower Gywnedd. My friend grew up in South Carolina and said that she had never met so many people of varying race and religion prior to moving. It is fairly safe, as well. I like that it is not as uppity as the Mainline, as well. Plus I love Merrymead, which is 10 mins from my house.

So thats why Blue Bell is amazing.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 75,285 times
What do you guys think about West Chester PA compared to Collegeville and/or Pheonixville, PA? What town has the better schools?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:15 PM

West Chester is much better than Phoenixville which is barely better than Collegeville...all three are in the top 20% of all school districts in the state...

Old 07-22-2008, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 23,528 times
Bucks County, hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or