U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,359 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! We're about to buy a house in Collegeville (Lower Providence Twp), and I'm trying to find a preschool for my three-year-old daughter. The elementary school that she'll be attending (Eagleville) recommended a few, but most of them (Goddard, Malvern, etc.) are all-day, every-day programs, more like daycare. I work from home and am looking for a more traditional nursery school program: 2-3 hours, 2-3 mornings a week. Can anyone recommend a good program nearby? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 01:35 PM

78 posts, read 347,548 times
My children have attended Play and Learn in Green Lane part time for the last 3 years. They have a center in Collegeville.

http://www.playandlearn.com/cenetrs/collegeville.html

I am not sure if all of their centers are part time.

All the best

Will

Old 05-07-2008, 07:57 AM

1,623 posts, read 5,967,012 times
Child education experts recommend accredited programs to get the most out of your child's time at preschool in terms of things such as safety and sanitation/cleanliness as well as stimulation and academics.

I checked Naeyc.org and came up with Kindercare in Collegeville and The Malvern School in Royersford.

You can also check pakeys.org which is PA's accreditation program but it seems there is pretty slim pickings in that area...you generally want STAR 3 or higher but may want to choose a STAR 2 if you don't want to drive further out.

I did also find Jerusalem Lutheran Daycare, Schwenksville and Montgomery Early Learning Center and Mulberry Childcare both in Pottstown.

If I were you , I would go with the Malvern School - you can't go wrong with a NAEYC accredited/4 Star facility. It may cost more, but its worth it.

And don't worry about the daycare/preschool thing...my son goes to an accredited Goddard school 3 half days a week - most of the real learning takes place in the morning and he gets to play on the playground and socialize for lunch. He's learning Spanish, yoga, music, reading, math, art etc. Again you really do get what you pay for when it comes to preschool.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 36,997 times
Default Hi

I grew up in Audubon and went to Methacton. I now live on the Spring-Ford side of Collegeville. Those other two people who posted don't know much about our area. Schwenksville, Royersford, Pottstown, and Green Lane are all way too far away for you, not to mention The Malvern School is a Daycare.

I know exactly what you are looking for. Go to the Audubon YMCA (near Walmart). They have a Wooden Shoe preschool program that is good. If the Greentree Church location was the only option for your area, they did close that site last year, but they may have something else near you. My kids go to the Wooden Shoe, but our location is at a church in Limerick.

Also St Andrew's Church (next to Audubon Elementary) seems to be pretty happening, but probably has a wait list right now. I had a friend who sent her son there before they moved, she liked it.

The only other place I can think of would be Lower Providence Presbyterian Church, just past the KMart. It may be the closest to you also. I believe my cousin's children went there and it is good.

Also try joining the Audubon Mom's Club (just google "Moms Club") and those Mom's can give you tons of personal recommendations.

I hope you get this post. Good Luck!

Just thought of one more, I think it's Happy Days or Bright Spots? Look it up in the phone book. I have a friend who is moving to the center of town (by the college) and is sending her son to a 4 yr old program there.

It's a great place to be, wait until Wegmans and Old Navy open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprooted View Post
Hello, everyone! We're about to buy a house in Collegeville (Lower Providence Twp), and I'm trying to find a preschool for my three-year-old daughter. The elementary school that she'll be attending (Eagleville) recommended a few, but most of them (Goddard, Malvern, etc.) are all-day, every-day programs, more like daycare. I work from home and am looking for a more traditional nursery school program: 2-3 hours, 2-3 mornings a week. Can anyone recommend a good program nearby? Thanks so much!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 6,743 times
Check out St Andrew's Nusery School. I have sent 3 out of 4 of my children there. The oldest went to daycare since I was working full time. St Andrew's has a wonderful rep, caring teachers and a good program. They are NAEYC accredited and licensed by the PA Dept of Ed. They will be registering soon for the 2011-12 year so call for info:610-666-6153 and their website is [url=http://www.standrewsnurseryschool.com]St. Andrew's Nursery School[/url]

Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,292,195 times
Our kids go here:

Nursery School

This is the Wooden Shoe program that's put on by the Freedom Valley YMCA (which is a great facility). When you click on this link it should provide you with most of the info you need.

(Note: You will see a Bible verse on the welcome screen once you click through, and the classes take place at churches, but they are not religious programs (not sure if you want a religious program, or don't want one)).

Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 12,765 times
Although this is an old thread, I came upon it as I was googling preschools for my daughter. I must disagree with the (old) post about The Wooden Shoe program run by the YMCA. My child was dismissed from their program for crying too much. The parent feedback is terrible; they did not even approach us after she was in the program for more than a month (How could we know what was going on?) I have had at least two of my child's early intervention therapists state unequivocally that they would never send their children to this program. As for the Malvern School, I am not affiliated, but it is not 'just a daycare'. They offer half day programs and 'get ready' programs for pre-preschool. I know this because I have called them. It is also located right off 422 in Royersford - if you go to that one (there are others). Kinderworks is another option, although it might be a hike from Collegeville. But please do not consider Wooden Shoe. It is not a good program, no matter what its 'star' rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or