U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM

97 posts, read 359,612 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I want to take a weekend trip somewhere, I came up with Philly since we've been to NYC and Boston so many times. What is there to do in Philadelphia for two 20 year olds? Are there fun things to do outdoors? Good shopping? Etc.. thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Welcome to gophila.com -- the Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia

Old 05-07-2008, 12:39 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHereWeCome View Post
My boyfriend and I want to take a weekend trip somewhere, I came up with Philly since we've been to NYC and Boston so many times. What is there to do in Philadelphia for two 20 year olds? Are there fun things to do outdoors? Good shopping? Etc.. thanks in advance!!
How many days? Can you afford to stay in a downtown hotel plus the cost of parking or are you more inclined to stay cheaper in a suburb and drive into the city? Downtown has lots of retail options including one of a kind boutiques yet shopping isn't one of the high points. There is very little you can buy downtown that you won't find in your local mall. If shopping is your major goal however there is one particular suburban mall (King of Prussia) that is one of the two premier malls in the US for size and variety including most of the world,s upscale merchants. (The other would be South Coast Plaza in California, not Mall of America) Actually this should be a trip all by itself......if shopping is your thing.
Otherwise Philly's major attractions tend to be historic sites, museums and resturants. It is sort of Colonial Williamsburg meets Manhattan. If you have one full day the best thing is to sign up for one of the trolly tours and ride it from stop to stop where you can get off and get on again. Saturday is a better day then Sunday for this. If you have a partial Sunday perhaps choose one of the museums. If you are by chance AAA then pick up their Philly book it has everything pretty much.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 PM

3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
If you come when the weather's nice and want to shop, I like going to Rittenhouse Square. Lots of stores on Walnut street, then hit a cafe for lunch (sit outside) or hang out in the square. DiBruno's has a cafe there (gourmet food market), Rouge is where celebrities tend to go when they're in the area, and the two restaurants next to Rouge (Devon Grill, Bleu) are also good. As it probably sounds, those 3 are a little pricier, which is why I suggest lunch instead of dinner. I found a little creperie somewhere there, but I can't remember the street, just that it's a block or two off the Square (behind Barnes & Nobles, I think, but I could be wrong).

If you or your boyfriend are into creepy things, you can take a tour of Eastern State Penitentiary in Fairmount. The idea of solitary confinement as rehabilitation originated there, and it's design influenced a lot of other prisons around the country. The Mutter Museum (medical oddities) is also pretty good, we took my college roommate's boyfriend there to appease him.

And, of course the obvious stuff to see is the historical sites (Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, etc). I found the Constitution Center to be surprisingly good and tend to drag my visitors there when I get the chance. Old City also has its share of cute little cafes and restaurants. Again, if you're there during the summer, the Lights of Liberty tour is really good. It's at night, and you listen to a narration while going through the parks, and there's light effects and such.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
You definitely want to go to The Reading Terminal Market in center city for lunch. (go Wednesday thru Saturday when the Amish stalls are open).

Reading Terminal Market › Home

Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Great suggestions so far.Agreed Center City is an awesome spot on a nice day(Rittenhouse square is Philadelphia's miniature version of Central Park) The Philadelphia Museum of Art is highly recommended, right behind the Art Museum is a recreation trail which on a nice day you will see thousands of people biking,roller blading, jogging, rowing a long the river. They rent bikes I believe at 32nd + Walnut which is a minute or two from the Schuylkill River Trail.

On your way down check out the towns of New Hope, Lambertville and Doylestown and stop for lunch in Chestnut Hill which is in the NW corner of philadelphia.

Bryson mentioned King of Prussia Mall which is a must see if you are a serious shopper. Valley Forge National Historic Park should be seen by every american and thats onlt 5 minutes away from the King of Prussia Mall.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia