Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 05:44 PM

463 posts, read 206,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
And who told you and how would they know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Probably the same person who told her Collegeville and Yardley would be an easy commute to the city.
Maybe, but they're an out-of-towner who is asking because they don't know. That's why they are asking the question here. Isn't that how it works for any of us? We talk to people we know that seem to know something and then we further inquire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 06:01 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Yes, of course. But the info they had was so bad to start with.

And, of course, here is the place to get that corrected.

It's almost like everything they were told was wrong.
Not quite that bad. But a lot of misinformation. That's all.
And it can be daunting to correct all that.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:43 AM

463 posts, read 206,691 times
Quote:
Yes, of course. But the info they had was so bad to start with.

And, of course, here is the place to get that corrected.

It's almost like everything they were told was wrong.
Not quite that bad. But a lot of misinformation. That's all.
And it can be daunting to correct all that.
Well, CD membership isn't a paid position. And the OP could have just taken all that information as fact. I commend them for asking.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:14 PM

28 posts, read 15,305 times
So much helpful info, thank you!!!

Old 01-21-2021, 01:15 PM

people from your state

Old 01-21-2021, 01:16 PM

Lol exactly, I only wanted to fact check what I was told and get more insight. Glad I did

Old 01-21-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that commute list was waaaay off.
Okay we've established this already.

Do you have helpful info to share? Can you name other towns (priority to montgomery and bucks) that would be an easier commute yet still fit the criteria of being safe and family friendly? Please disregard my previous budget when answering

Old 01-21-2021, 02:21 PM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ha215 View Post
Noted! Thank you for your insight. But I am so confused. When I mapped Plymouth meeting to arch street (several different times including early mornings), it said it would take about 25 minutes to drive and about an hour on the train. That's why we wanted to invest in a parking garage, for what seemed to be the easier commute option.

What about Ardmore? Bryn Mawr? I believe those are pricer but maybe not as safe since they're closer to the city? Genuinely asking!
Plymouth Meeting to Center City is NOT 25 minutes. Maybe off-hour and on a very luck day. Conshohocken is reliably 30-45 mins unless a bad accident happens which could bump it to over an hour. For Plymouth Meeting add 10 minutes to that.

Conshy is actually a pretty good option for you. There are a lot of twins and rowhomes that you could get at or just above your price range, the town has good shopping options there and in nearby Plymouth Meeting and King of Prussia. It is also centrally located so if there is a job change it's convenient to many parts of the metro. And it has a rail line to Center City.

I would second that Lansdale and Collegeville are easily an hour to downtown. On bad days, longer than that.

Ardmore and Bryn Mawr are both quite safe and very nice but $1800 won't buy you much there.

Last edited by TownDweller; 01-21-2021 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Additional detail

Old 01-21-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Plymouth Meeting to Center City is NOT 25 minutes. Maybe off-hour and on a very luck day. Conshohocken is reliably 30-45 mins unless a bad accident happens which could bump it to over an hour. For Plymouth Meeting add 10 minutes to that.

Conshy is actually a pretty good option for you. There are a lot of twins and rowhomes that you could get at or just above your price range, the town has good shopping options there and in nearby Plymouth Meeting and King of Prussia. It is also centrally located so if there is a job change it's convenient to many parts of the metro. And it has a rail line to Center City.

I would second that Lansdale and Collegeville are easily an hour to downtown. On bad days, longer than that.

Ardmore and Bryn Mawr are both quite safe and very nice but $1800 won't buy you much there.
Noted! Thank you for clarifying! This is helpful.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:03 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
And the OP could have just taken all that information as fact. I commend them for asking.
Of course. This is the place to come if you have questions.

Quote:
Do you have helpful info to share?
Without a budget? No, other than I'd say all of close-in Montgomery County is good for what you want. Bucks County is farther away -- period. Close-in MontCo you can get in in less than an hour. Bucks, it's less likely.

(I mean an hour door-to-door, including leaving the house, getting to the train station waiting for the train, getting off and walking to where you need to be....OR driving AND accounting for parking and getting to work or the office, getting in the elevator to finally sitting at your desk or in position to work.)

DelCo has a lot of nice places also. It's just that the close-in, bordering parts of DelCo aren't the best. (Where as MontCo, just step across the county line and it's better.) So you have to go farther out to get to decent parts. But even going farther out in DelCo would be closer than Bucks County.

Last edited by selhars; 01-21-2021 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia