Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 07:09 AM

20 posts, read 13,445 times

Advertisements

Having lived in Texas my entire life but with much of our family in the Philly area, I can echo many of the things mentioned here. It's a VERY car-centric culture in Texas, and there's definitely a weird reluctance towards "yanks" or Californians from the crotchety old-guard. That said, in towns like Austin and Houston there are so many transplants that I agree, as long as you can be proactive in socializing you should be able to find plenty of folks on your level.

Re: Houston itself, it's massively spread out and that's always been my least favorite thing about it. But it does have so many unique cultures and cuisines, NASA, sports, access to beaches. Their newish light rail also seems to be doing great (sans pandemic). There are definitely quite a few pluses.

Also agreed that politically (at least for me as an Austinite) it is incredibly frustrating that our state leadership is hell-bent on punishing the big cities (particularly Austin) however they can. That said, we were a democratic state way back when, so it hasn't always been this way. Texas historically had been very much a live and let live kind of state. Not anymore with current Republican party.

Re: transportation funding- our state department (TxDOT) is notorious for only funding massive highway projects and leaving cities completely to their own devices in funding mass transit. As a result, the only pathway cities have essentially is getting federal matching and raising property taxes.

Last edited by AstronomicalTofu; 02-06-2021 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: added note about transit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 05:04 AM

840 posts, read 691,780 times
What were your feelings on people in Cali as far as depth of character and such ? Honestly I'm still wishy washy on Philly, I'm one of those Midwesterners and have struggled here with what I view as rude attitudes without the NYC rude vibe (hard to explain but when I lived there people were straight forward but not as brash in my opinion). I was debating a move to Montco or Chestco to see if that would be a bit of a better feel but maybe i just need to accept change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Philly and its people and culture (and addy-tood) are really special, and you sure realize that when you move to such a different environment. I can't speak to Houston specifically but I did live in Southern California for two years (a relocation for work that I requested). I loved the scenery and weather, but the culture was totally different. Now the problem was, I was fighting the differences rather than embracing them as a new adventure. I found myself inventing reasons to fly back home, either for work or pleasure. And after two years, I requested a transfer back.

So my advice to you is, embrace the new culture and the diversity of the city. I remember seeing, I think it was an Anthony Bourdain or maybe United Shades of America episode that highlighted all the different races and ethnicities living in Houston and I thought it was pretty cool. Maybe you could find it on youtube somewhere. Don't keep comparing it to Philly or you'll never be happy. Look for a Philly sports bar, not sure if one exists in Houston but they had them in SoCal and where I am now in Florida. Great way of meeting other Eagles fans and hometown transplants. Give yourself at least two or preferably three years to adjust. You know you can always come back, but make a commitment to it so you don't make an impulsive decision based on homesickness.

Old 02-07-2021, 08:03 AM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
What were your feelings on people in Cali as far as depth of character and such ? Honestly I'm still wishy washy on Philly, I'm one of those Midwesterners and have struggled here with what I view as rude attitudes without the NYC rude vibe (hard to explain but when I lived there people were straight forward but not as brash in my opinion). I was debating a move to Montco or Chestco to see if that would be a bit of a better feel but maybe i just need to accept change.
I know you asked Avalon08, but pardon me if I chime in:

I helped a friend move from here to Green Tree, the Pittsburgh suburb on the other end of the Fort Pitt Tunnel, about 12 years or so ago.

I knew I had left the East Coast when, on the morning after we I arrived, I took a walk over to a nearby Starbucks for coffee and, as I passed the borough hall and library, the guy mowing the grass in front called out to me with a hello.

I'm sorry, but it's my experience that if anyone in this region does that, they're not natives. And I will allow that following this practice in the city itself would get tiring after a while, and it might even inadvertently put one in danger if one does not choose their random strangers wisely.

As for Houston's car-centric culture: Kansas City is also a drive-everywhere place, so that aspect of Houston life didn't faze me. But I did have to dust off the slalom-driving skills I learned negotiating the San Diego Freeway in LA, for unlike KC, Houston has traffic. Loads of it, all of it doing 70, bumper-to-bumper, on ten-lane freeways. (The speed limit signs you see on the side of the road in Houston are merely advisory.). And those Mario Andretti wannabes aren't as skilled as they think they are: I was very thankful (a) for GPS (b) that TxDOT builds side roads next to every freeway in the state, for I was warned by my GPS to get off I-45 and use the frontage road on the way to my hotel. Thus I was able to avoid a solid 2-mile backup as wrecking crews cleared a spectacular accident from the southbound lanes. (An almost as spectacular one took place on the road leading past my hotel during my stay; whatever happened, it left a car with a shredded front end facing eastward in the westbound lanes.)

I refer to Houston as Texas' answer to Los Angeles, right down to the palm trees and the presence of a suburb named Pasadena. But as others have noted, it's probably the most polyglot big city in the US, ahead of even LA. (And they've definitely shed whatever lingering affection they may have had for the ways of the Old South there; on the way back to George Bush Intercontinental Airport Sunday, I decided to take a look around downtown Houston. I got off I-45 at the Emancipation Avenue exit. (I later learned that the city renamed this street, which runs through a largely Black neighborhood just south of downtown; it had been named for some Confederate general or other.)

Old 02-07-2021, 11:41 AM

Thanks, Like you said excessive friendly behavior here would likely cause more problems than help someone which is unfortunate. I still dont think I would ever want to per se live in the south as that I do fear the southern politeness is just on the surface, but Philly has to do better. I'm in Delco now and there are people here who are very proud of having a reputation for being rude; kinda sad in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I know you asked Avalon08, but pardon me if I chime in:

I helped a friend move from here to Green Tree, the Pittsburgh suburb on the other end of the Fort Pitt Tunnel, about 12 years or so ago.

I knew I had left the East Coast when, on the morning after we I arrived, I took a walk over to a nearby Starbucks for coffee and, as I passed the borough hall and library, the guy mowing the grass in front called out to me with a hello.

I'm sorry, but it's my experience that if anyone in this region does that, they're not natives. And I will allow that following this practice in the city itself would get tiring after a while, and it might even inadvertently put one in danger if one does not choose their random strangers wisely.

As for Houston's car-centric culture: Kansas City is also a drive-everywhere place, so that aspect of Houston life didn't faze me. But I did have to dust off the slalom-driving skills I learned negotiating the San Diego Freeway in LA, for unlike KC, Houston has traffic. Loads of it, all of it doing 70, bumper-to-bumper, on ten-lane freeways. (The speed limit signs you see on the side of the road in Houston are merely advisory.). And those Mario Andretti wannabes aren't as skilled as they think they are: I was very thankful (a) for GPS (b) that TxDOT builds side roads next to every freeway in the state, for I was warned by my GPS to get off I-45 and use the frontage road on the way to my hotel. Thus I was able to avoid a solid 2-mile backup as wrecking crews cleared a spectacular accident from the southbound lanes. (An almost as spectacular one took place on the road leading past my hotel during my stay; whatever happened, it left a car with a shredded front end facing eastward in the westbound lanes.)

I refer to Houston as Texas' answer to Los Angeles, right down to the palm trees and the presence of a suburb named Pasadena. But as others have noted, it's probably the most polyglot big city in the US, ahead of even LA. (And they've definitely shed whatever lingering affection they may have had for the ways of the Old South there; on the way back to George Bush Intercontinental Airport Sunday, I decided to take a look around downtown Houston. I got off I-45 at the Emancipation Avenue exit. (I later learned that the city renamed this street, which runs through a largely Black neighborhood just south of downtown; it had been named for some Confederate general or other.)

Old 02-07-2021, 12:29 PM

1,465 posts, read 621,638 times
Quote:
Thanks, Like you said excessive friendly behavior here would likely cause more problems than help someone which is unfortunate. I still dont think I would ever want to per se live in the south as that I do fear the southern politeness is just on the surface, but Philly has to do better. I'm in Delco now and there are people here who are very proud of having a reputation for being rude; kinda sad in my opinion.
Trust me, I'm 'Philadelphia' through and through and most of us think the rude people are scumbag a-holes, and we're unimpressed with their poor manners and behavior.

There's a line between being out-going/upfront/even brash and rude/inconsiderate. Me? I'm going to treat you how you treat me. Or, I'm just going to keep my distance.

Last edited by Hedonism; 02-07-2021 at 12:37 PM..

Old 02-07-2021, 06:24 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,397,444 times
Quote:
I lived there 20 years ago and things have changed. But when I was there, everyone was friendly. People in the checkout line at the supermarket would be having friendly convos with the clerk, unlike the sometimes surly workers in Philly. I was amazed at how courteous drivers on the freeway were. As soon as you'd put your signal on, they'd let you move over. This is very necessary because there are exits like every quarter mile. Nobody tailgated or beeped. My elderly Mom drove my car out there, had no idea where she was going, but nobody got frustrated with her. Oh my best example was when I was doing some returns at Linens 'n Things. I was fumbling around with something and the line was backed up behind me. I turned around to apologize and everybody was like, no problem! You know in Philly they would've been pissy. However, in subsequent visits out there, there's been an invasion of the big-truck crowd, riding your bumper. I was in a neighborhood trying to find a street and somebody gave me the finger for going too slow.

So I have a hard time explaining why the culture is so different but it just seems superficial. People won't care about where you came from or knowing your background. It was funny, one of our prolific posters (RIP) on C-D was from SoCal and there was a thread about where you were from or some such thing. He said he doesn't even know where his neighbors are from, implying that they're not newsy that way (like it was a good thing, they don't pry into your background). But I said the impression newcomers get is that Southern Californians live in a bubble and don't care about anyone or anything outside their bubble. And there definitely isn't the passion for sports that there is in Philly. I have no idea why they have not one but two NFL teams.

So like anywhere, there are pros and cons. Sorry for the long-winded answer!

Old 02-12-2021, 03:55 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,463 times
I agree with others that it can be difficult for transplants to form real personal connections almost anywhere you go. The less transient the city, the harder it is. Philly, for example, is a very non-transient metro area where almost everyone you meet is from here, and those people generally don’t need new friends. I’ve spent a lot of time in Dallas but not Houston. Dallas has a very large transplant population because it is a major corporate hub. I would think that Houston or any of the other high growth sunbelt cities would be the same way. The more you are around other transplants the easier it will be, so look for those areas they tend to live.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:15 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
I agree with others that it can be difficult for transplants to form real personal connections almost anywhere you go. The less transient the city, the harder it is. Philly, for example, is a very non-transient metro area where almost everyone you meet is from here, and those people generally don’t need new friends. I’ve spent a lot of time in Dallas but not Houston. Dallas has a very large transplant population because it is a major corporate hub. I would think that Houston or any of the other high growth sunbelt cities would be the same way. The more you are around other transplants the easier it will be, so look for those areas they tend to live.
This isn't true at all. I was a transplant with absolutely zero connection to the Philly region before I came here. I didn't find it hard to meet people at all, and 90% of my friends were from other parts of the country and the world. Maybe if you're trying to make friends in the old school, blue collar neighborhoods it may be this way, but it's not that hard otherwise in professional circles. You just have to go out and meet people and get involved in stuff.

I honestly found it more difficult (although still not that bad) to make friends here in NYC.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:03 AM

Do you have family and established friends up here ? if so I dont think the pay increase would be worthwhile, its an old adage but money doesnt buy happiness. My income has increased 4 times over in past 20 years (inflation factored in) and my wife and I were happier then quite honestly, you adjust.

I have a good buddy of mine who lives in Texas, he bought a mini mansion in a development that was a farm field, no trees and no sense of neighborhood.

Take a weeks vacation, (not just a weekend), go tour areas you may look t living down there, drive in rush hour traffic everyday, eat at local places. This will give you somewhat of a better idea as to if you will like it.

My (adult) kids are all NE now, so even though some days I'm so so on Philly there is no way I want to leave them or the friends I have

Old 02-12-2021, 07:17 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
This isn't true at all. I was a transplant with absolutely zero connection to the Philly region before I came here. I didn't find it hard to meet people at all, and 90% of my friends were from other parts of the country and the world. Maybe if you're trying to make friends in the old school, blue collar neighborhoods it may be this way, but it's not that hard otherwise in professional circles. You just have to go out and meet people and get involved in stuff.

I honestly found it more difficult (although still not that bad) to make friends here in NYC.
I think it does have a lot to do with age. If you’re young and living in center city it will be a different dynamic. But if you’re married, middle age, living in the suburbs, the vast majority of people you will meet have never lived outside of the area, other than maybe for college. The Philly metro as a whole doesn’t have a lot of people moving in from outside of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia