Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 10:03 AM

273 posts, read 103,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The spill into normally safe areas is going to end things fast for the Philly resurgence.

These animals are not operating within the drug trade with these crimes. They are violently aquiring "tools" to commit more crimes and they've realized that the average person in CC has more money than anywhere else in the city. The fact that these crimes largely stayed in already established boundaries was easy to explain - the drug trade. This is not the drug trade.
There is deep resentment against gentrification within the Black community. You can argue whether or not this resentment is justified, but the fact is the resentment is there.

The resentment against gentrification doesn't get much discussion from progressive journalists because so many media types live in gentrified areas and resentment against gentrification runs contrary to the progressive narrative that suburban/rural whites are the source of problems. Movies and TV create the impression that many Americans live in brownstones, but in fact not that many do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 10:47 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I think its laughable when people blame covid for the increase in violent crime, I have many cop friends and trust me that covid has very little to do with it in any of these cities, as a matter of fact it in theory should lower crimes as that people should be sheltering inside and not on the streets killing each other.

Cops saw politians and citizens stand by quietly while they had bricks, spears and other objects thrown at them. They saw other cops brought up on charges for doing their jobs to appease the masses, even though the DA's knew the charges wouldnt stick so the cops shut down for the most part and it has been a free for all.

Read about The Ferguson Effect, this is why crime has spiked, NYC crime plummeted when they had a mayor who supported law and order, and now that they dont,,,well
So basically you're saying that we have to allow cops to kill and beat unarmed citizens in order for them to do their job?

That if we don't allow them free access to kill a man in broad daylight that they'll get mad??

Yeah cry me a rivee

Old 02-17-2021, 01:30 PM

1,697 posts, read 972,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarerz View Post
There is deep resentment against gentrification within the Black community. You can argue whether or not this resentment is justified, but the fact is the resentment is there.

The resentment against gentrification doesn't get much discussion from progressive journalists because so many media types live in gentrified areas and resentment against gentrification runs contrary to the progressive narrative that suburban/rural whites are the source of problems. Movies and TV create the impression that many Americans live in brownstones, but in fact not that many do.
I don't feel like this is gentrification resentment. I'm not saying there isn't a huge resentment towards gentrifiers - there most certainly is. I don't QUITE understand it and feel like it may be just another "good" reason to be pissed and lash out but I understand that it's there.

This isn't a hate crime. These guys aren't violently carjacking people and then driving around shooting gentrifiers in their own neighborhoods because they are pushing them out of their neighborhoods. Then you'd have something. These guys are going to historically safe parts of town and commiting violent crimes (carjacking, robbery, murder) in THOSE neighborhoods. If this were drug related, there would be little reason for this in say...Rittenhouse or even fishtown. The drug trade doesn't exist there - or at least not in the wide open.

I think target-rich and actual wealth is whats driving the recent violence that has spilled over and that's a WHOLE new dynamic. If you're going to put a loaded gun to someone's chest so you can take their phone and their wallet, why wouldn't you want the maximum take? If this isn't nipped in the bud and quickly, we are going to see philly's image plummet like the temperatures have lately.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:40 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

I think target-rich and actual wealth is whats driving the recent violence that has spilled over and that's a WHOLE new dynamic. If you're going to put a loaded gun to someone's chest so you can take their phone and their wallet, why wouldn't you want the maximum take? If this isn't nipped in the bud and quickly, we are going to see philly's image plummet like the temperatures have lately.
A friend of an acquaintance told me tonight at Jocks about an incident not that long ago where someone relieved him of his cell phone and SEPTA Key card at gunpoint but left his wallet and a sizable amount of cash he had on him alone.

They may not all be all that smart.

Regarding gentrification and its discontents: Seems to me that I read a lot about the subject in progressive publications that deal with cities and the challenges facing them, including one based here that I write a weekly column for.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:47 AM

1,465 posts, read 623,005 times
There was a carjacking at Red Lion and Roosevelt Boulevard yesterday ... there's been a lot of violent crime in the NE recently. So, yes, the thugs are traveling.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:44 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Carjacking's are the fastest growing crime in the country. Instead of pro-car thieves dealing with the anti theft devices on parked cars, it is now thugs jacking running cars and selling to chop shops or VIN swapping rings.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:55 AM

273 posts, read 103,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Regarding gentrification and its discontents: Seems to me that I read a lot about the subject in progressive publications that deal with cities and the challenges facing them, including one based here that I write a weekly column for.
But, how big is the audience for these publications compared to CNN or MSNBC?

The truth is usually out there somewhere if you're willing to look for it. TPTB will tolerate a small percentage of the public being aware of something (at least until they can gain control of the internet under the guise of "controlling hate speech"), they just don't want that percentage to become too large.

Old 02-18-2021, 07:57 AM

899 posts, read 541,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
BR Valentine
One more thing: Regarding the boldfaced passage above, DXBtoFL, you got the chronological order reversed. We who attended those universities that have fully adopted the "residential college" model refer to it as the "Oxbridge" model because the small residential academic community where teachers and students live together originated at the universities of Oxford and Cambridge. (The first two American universities to implement the model were Harvard [where they're called "Houses"] and Yale [where they're "Colleges" as at Oxbridge], both in 1930 or thereabouts thanks to a gift from a wealthy Harvard alum.) These schools, which include half the Ivy League ones (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, though Penn's physical plant is only partially suited for it), Rice in Houston and (I believe) Stanford, still account for a minority of American colleges and universities, most of which house their students in larger dormitories with no resident faculty, in-house dining facilities or libraries.
Yes... I have degrees from Penn as well as another Ivy.

I picked Penn for the master's because it offered me a fat bribe...errr...financial aid package that discounted the cost of the program by 50%. And I was lucky enough to get a residence advisor position in one of the Penn dorms that covered most of my living expenses. I did still have to take out some loans, but ultimately for no more than 1/3 the total cost of the degree. If I hadn't received the scholarships I wouldn't have come to Penn but picked the next most generous school, and if nothing had been available, I wouldn't have done the master's degree but kept working.

When I started classes, I was floored to discover classmates who'd taken out loans for the entire cost of the degree. In those days it meant $100k in loans for a master's in a field where the typical starting salary was probably in the mid-high 40s. We were no Wharton.

I do remember how easy the schools made the loan process. There was no approvals based on existing credit or the projected value of the degree. Nothing comparable to taking out a mortgage. It was just signing a bunch of papers and invisible money went from some mysterious source to the university and you didn't need think about it while playing at being a student.

I hold both the federal government's failure to provide stringent oversight on student loans as well as all universities in their willingness to openly saddle students with enormous debts, admitting students who had no business taking out such extensive loans for middling diplomas, and I also hold the individual students for not being smart with their own decisions. Everyone is guilty. No one should be absolved.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:03 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,128,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
There was a carjacking at Red Lion and Roosevelt Boulevard yesterday ... there's been a lot of violent crime in the NE recently. So, yes, the thugs are traveling.

If caught, they won't be complaining about gentrification, A longer incarceration means cheaper rent.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:44 AM

463 posts, read 206,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Carjacking's are the fastest growing crime in the country. Instead of pro-car thieves dealing with the anti theft devices on parked cars, it is now thugs jacking running cars and selling to chop shops or VIN swapping rings.
Interesting. I wonder if it has spilled into the surrounding counties or if it is mostly happening in Philly proper. I would imagine the police department and their presence may serve as a deterrent, but not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia