U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 16,617 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I'm new on here. I've been racking my brain doing "the research" and still nothing really fruitful.

I'm getting married, and I'm really interested in having everything be in old city philadelphia. One of our friends took a photo of us walking at penns landing together just before we got together (which is now a logo type cover for the invitations), and we just spent a lot of our beginning around that area so it seemed appropriate to have the wedding there. Plus, I'm a huge fan of being closer to nature and water, but keeping it philly.

I'm hoping to have the wedding at Old St. Josephs or Holy Trinity...or if that fails, rent the 18th century garden national park i came across...its a beautiful litte spot and it not very expensive.

I'm failing horribly at finding a very inexpensive and layed back place to have our reception in. Actually, it goes two ways:

A. Inexpensive beautiful wedding reception spot. I'm very interested in Seaport Museum -even getting married there- though i don't know the average people payed to have a small reception there...anyone know an estimate? I'm having 50 people tops. I can spend max of 3000, if i'm marrying there as well then the price goes up to 5000.

or

B. Inexpensive place with dancing and alcohol and casual fun atmosphere to party and celebrate (yet, have food at) in old city. We love techno music, rock, jazz.

Could anyone recommend a place for me? I'd love to just take everyone to a great bar with dancing and food, but i'm also interested in a sit down dinner for our parents. Oy vei. Best chance is for the seaport museum to be inexpensive enough (with the "extras" like linnens and center pieces and food and flowers) so the younger crowd (mostly everyone) will then (after wedding and dinner) just do our own thing and go take a trip through all the bars in the area haha.

Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 12,743 times
Default olde city wedding

Try Cescaphe on 2nd Street. I'm a non-denominational minister and I've performed several weddings there and they seem to do a great job and have a lot of fun doing it. Makes for a joyous affair. M

Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,615,672 times
If you like the "old" in Old City, you might try the City Tavern:
The City Tavern Restaurant And Online Store, Philadelphia Pennsylvania

The chef has a TV show, and I just recently had lunch there and it was really good. It dates back to the 1700's, though it was demolished and rebuilt years ago.
They do private affairs like weddings, and I'm sure you can get a DJ to do whatever music you like. The people who work there are all dressed in 18th century garb, which could be cool.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 AM

160 posts, read 740,708 times
Default weddings in old city

Unfortunately, a CC wedding is usually not cheap. However, depending on the size of your party, you migh tbe able to hold your event at a restuarant. Check out La Veranda which is near Penn's Landing. The Charthouse and The Moshulu are also on the water and relatively reasonable. Remember that much of your wedding budget is the alcohol and the day and time of the wedding. Consider a Saturday/Sunday AM, or a Friday PM. Someone suggested Cescaphe, which is nice, but not in your area and probably out of your budget. Since I don't know your ideal price pp, it's difficult to tell you where to look. But I do think a restaurant may be your best bet. There's also a place in old city called Cebu, but I'm not too sure how expensive they are, but they can accomodate large parties/weddings. Another place, Estia, which is not in old city but closer to our theatre district is also reasonable with the ability to accomodate a wedding. As a wedding planner myself, it's important to be flexible especially when budget it an issue. Alcohol runs about $10-$20pp extra depending on where you hold the reception(for an open bar). If this is important to you, then go splurge. If not, try to have just wine or a bar on consumption to cut costs. Let me know how it goes! (also, check out Patou)

Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM

1,623 posts, read 5,967,012 times
There's a Union hall on Delaware Ave. I think its the Sheetmetal Workers Union hall? I think it was fairly reasonable when we were looking for wedding halls...

Old 07-20-2008, 10:12 AM

386 posts, read 793,224 times
My wedding was on the Moshulu and it was fabulous!! We got married on a Friday evening in December which helped get us a better price. They put up a heated tent on the deck for the ceremony and then we all went inside for the reception. It was very reasonable especially compared to the Center City locations that we priced. The guests loved it because it was not your "traditional" wedding hall or hotel meeting room.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:33 AM

96 posts, read 326,520 times
You mentioned a budget of 3K/5K but I'm not clear if that is just your site rental budget (looks like it is). Without knowing your per person budget or total budget for food/drinks, it's hard to recommend other locations but I agree that a restaurant rental would be best so you have everything in a package. For restaurants with good food and room for 50, look at Positano Coast.

For site rental only type of places, Society Hill Dance Academy (indoor) and the Head House Shambles (outdoor) can be rented for wedding receptions. Both are less than a 5 minute walk from OSJ, St. Mary's and Trinity. For the shambles, contact the South Street Head House District. There's also the Down Town Club, the visitors' center and the NCC.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,565 times
Hi... devchonka! I came across your post, and I saw you where talking about renting the 18th century garden in national park. Is this true? I am looking for any information I can find... My fiance and I have spent so much time over there, walking the dogs, hanging out, and we only have a few family members so I was hoping I could have the actual standing ceremony in that park for about 20 guests... Thanks for any info you have! Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-29-2010 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: fixed link;also, publishing one's private e-mail address may be less safe than an invitation to Direct Message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:33 PM

349 posts, read 896,695 times
If that garden is not available, an alternative would be the garden of the Physick House or Powel House.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:14 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Note that as this thread is over 2.5 years old, it is unlikely that its author, who only has two posts, is available to respond.

Nonetheless, if anyone has any additional wedding reception ideas in the Old City area, please feel free to contribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia