Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times

Advertisements

I was in the Philly area this weekend with my ladyfriend for an early Mother's Day/birthday visit. This non-driver's lack of highway knowledge was confirmed when, heading west on I-276 from Willow Grove, I made the faulty assumption that I would run into I-76 on the way. The good news is that I made a serendipitous connection with Paoli (via Exton) and took the opportunity to travel down through the Main Line towns on Lancaster Ave (Route 30). I have to admit that I have only been out here a handful of times in my life, mostly to Villanova and points east. I did come out to Paoli once to interview for a job (which I didn't get. :P)

While it would be "crazy" to head down here during rush hour, it wasn't too bad on an early Sunday afternoon. I particularly liked downtown Wayne. The stretch from Villanova and Rosemont through Bryn Mawr was familiarly pleasant and scenic. When I saw Ardmore, I was reminded of another member's opinion of the area. I have to admit that the main drag did look a bit "tired" compared to points west. Still there were some stores that would have piqued my interest; it's not an area where I would have thought twice about my safety. Of course, all opinions are valid and equal.

Since we were in such an upscale area, we decided to stop at - where else - a McDonald's in Rosemont. While the exterior was the traditional style, the inside was, dare I say, practically hip.

So overall, I'm glad I messed up and found myself on the Main Line as I got to share this story with you all.

PS: After visiting a friend in West Philly, we made our way to my old stomping grounds in University City. I had mixed feeling about seeing the Dock Street Pub replace the Firehouse Market as well as the disappearance of a few other fondly remembered businesses on that stretch of Baltimore Avenue. We went down the 4600 block of Osage which is IMO the nicest street in the community. It's as if you've stepped into a suburb on that block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 PM

162 posts, read 683,688 times
Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I went to Villanova and worked out there at the Sears and PSFS in Wayne and the Strawbridges in Ardmore. I also lived with a family out in Radnor during the summers, What a great time in my life. That area is so nice, we even ate pizza with Dr. J (who lived out there) off campus. This was back in the early 80's.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
I live around the corner from that McDonalds.....But not for long

Old 05-08-2008, 01:44 PM

301 posts, read 921,897 times
it's weird how west of Dock Street Brewery and the PFCU, baltimore ave looks like crap...as if 50th street was some sort of line of demarcation...

Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM

Wow, if I had known I would have waved Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I live around the corner from that McDonalds.....But not for long

Old 05-08-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant$ View Post
it's weird how west of Dock Street Brewery and the PFCU, baltimore ave looks like crap...as if 50th street was some sort of line of demarcation...
In a sense, that seems to be true. I think that once the economy improves, gentrification will continue to at least 52nd St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia