Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 10:35 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'd attribute the absence of regular street sweeping outside the special-services districts not to the city's high poverty rate but to a city government that often misplaces priorities.

That, and the general slovenliness of the great bulk of the population.
A city with more money has fewer hard choices to make when deciding where to spend its resources, so fewer opportunities to "misplace priorities."

Why would Philly people be more slovenly than anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 03:38 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
A city with more money has fewer hard choices to make when deciding where to spend its resources, so fewer opportunities to "misplace priorities."

Why would Philly people be more slovenly than anywhere else?
Good point on the first question.

As for the second, I dunno, but just to provide a data point, when I lived in Boston, I don't ever recall seeing someone trying to force an empty soda bottle through the closed doors of a moving subway train as a means of disposing of it. Nor do I recall walking down blocks where the wind whipped up storms of discarded trash and paper along the sidewalk, as happened on a few occasions along East Passyunk Avenue above the Acme. Someone put that trash there.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:38 AM

744 posts, read 774,811 times
Quote:
Good point on the first question.

As for the second, I dunno, but just to provide a data point, when I lived in Boston, I don't ever recall seeing someone trying to force an empty soda bottle through the closed doors of a moving subway train as a means of disposing of it. Nor do I recall walking down blocks where the wind whipped up storms of discarded trash and paper along the sidewalk, as happened on a few occasions along East Passyunk Avenue above the Acme. Someone put that trash there.
Yeah there is definitely a culture of litter here that I have never seen anywhere else. My first week living here when I was in south philly I remember seeing a person in a car at a stop light just throwing trash out the window on to the street. I remember “where the hell did I just move to?” Now such things still disgust me but no longer surprise. In south philly I would see otherwise sweet Italian grandma types walk to the corner to throw their trash in the sewer. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen people just drop their soda bottle or food wrapper on the ground.

In mt airy the litter situation isn’t as bad. Most street trash seems to come from lazy trash/recycling disposal. Maybe the trees make people less inclined to litter?

Old 03-25-2021, 07:10 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Yeah there is definitely a culture of litter here that I have never seen anywhere else. My first week living here when I was in south philly I remember seeing a person in a car at a stop light just throwing trash out the window on to the street. I remember “where the hell did I just move to?” Now such things still disgust me but no longer surprise. In south philly I would see otherwise sweet Italian grandma types walk to the corner to throw their trash in the sewer. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen people just drop their soda bottle or food wrapper on the ground.

In mt airy the litter situation isn’t as bad. Most street trash seems to come from lazy trash/recycling disposal. Maybe the trees make people less inclined to litter?
I think the trash collection system is the culprit. Open bag trash collection is a major problem with the litter piles more so than people throwing it on the street.

The city should issue city wide covered trash cans for its residential neighborhoods so trash is not blowing everywhere.

This would probably see more of an impact and a more positive step for the trash problem than the controversial street sweeping proposals.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:26 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
Quote:
I'd attribute the absence of regular street sweeping outside the special-services districts not to the city's high poverty rate (of the 10 largest cities in America, Philadelphia is the poorest; this usually gets rendered around here as "the poorest big city in America," which is not the case unless you restrict your definition of "big city" to cities with 1 million or more inhabitants within their political borders; there are only 10 of those) but to a city government that often misplaces priorities. (Politics in Philadelphia resemble those of no other American city as much as they do Chicago's, and both cities have longstanding reputations for political corruption.)

I'd also attribute Philly's lack of ability to do even the most basic things from a organizational perspective on the disparity of motivations between the state and the city.

But for sure, Philly, on it's own, is like a severly mentally disabled person unable to care for themself.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:36 AM

333 posts, read 282,407 times
Quote:
I'd attribute the absence of regular street sweeping outside the special-services districts not to the city's high poverty rate (of the 10 largest cities in America, Philadelphia is the poorest; this usually gets rendered around here as "the poorest big city in America," which is not the case unless you restrict your definition of "big city" to cities with 1 million or more inhabitants within their political borders; there are only 10 of those) but to a city government that often misplaces priorities. (Politics in Philadelphia resemble those of no other American city as much as they do Chicago's, and both cities have longstanding reputations for political corruption.)

To expand on the latter point, money aside, many longtime residents (such as those in South Philly) also have resisted regular street cleaning because they don't want to move their cars once a week. So it's kind of a self-fulfilling / self-defeating cycle of trash.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
To expand on the latter point, money aside, many longtime residents (such as those in South Philly) also have resisted regular street cleaning because they don't want to move their cars once a week. So it's kind of a self-fulfilling / self-defeating cycle of trash.
So crazy. These people would fight to the death to be able to leave their cars for weeks at a time. Or to be able to park in the median. City Council seems to agree with them.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:53 AM

dupe

Old 03-25-2021, 08:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Boston over Philly by a country mile. I recommend looking in Middlesex County, west and north of the city. Easy commute to downtown Boston via the bus or the MBTA or both. Lots of dog friendly apartments in the city of Malden within your price range.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:20 AM

445 posts, read 413,577 times
Ignore the negadelphians. Philly, by far, over Boston. For all the reasons mentioned around affordability but I just wanna give another plug for the weather. Boston has colder, snowier winters and awful cold foggy springs. Winters are much easier here and spring is actually enjoyable. Oh, Philly has a much better food scene, too.

I have a dog and live in a house with a small patio/yard. It's definitely a dog-friendly city. Plenty of places to take the puppers and some great dog parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia