Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 01:46 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Collingswood is a great suggestion based on the OP. "At home among Bob Marley types" is Collingswood to a tee. It is a very artsy town with a local music festival every year called Porchfest where the musicians in the town all play concerts on their porch and the people can walk around and hear a concert going on every couple blocks. I've gone a couple times. It's really neat. Cooper River Park is a great place for biking, jogging, and other outdoor exercise. Access to 295 makes a commute to Pennington much easier and PATCO is only a 15 min ride to Center City (and the bridges are easily accessible if a car is needed in the city). The only thing I don't know about is skate parks.
I'm not sure what they're looking for. There's ice skating at Cooper River in the winter, at least one indoor rink in the area, and there are a few skateboard parks. Cooper River is a good place to skate outside because the path is paved and fairly long. Newton Lake also has a paved path. The loop is about 18 blacks long.

You can rent boats at Cooper River, too.

https://www.camdencounty.com/freehol...er-river-park/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 08:31 PM

Southbound, I'm glad that you mentioned Collingswood. It's a viable option. If the PATCO to Center City doesn't cut it and they have to drive, it's at least close to the bridge.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Southbound, I'm glad that you mentioned Collingswood. It's a viable option. If the PATCO to Center City doesn't cut it and they have to drive, it's at least close to the bridge.
Thanks, Gerania. Those were my thoughts entirely. Without any additional information it's hard to say much else. Cripes, it's walking distance to Haddonfield. Overall it's quiet. It's easy enough to get to all of the retail that anyone could want in Center City and South Jersey. I really do think that the Pine Barrens would blow the OP's mind. While I'm not from the UP, I am from SW Lower Michigan. I had cousins who grew up in a very rural area. I understand where the OP is coming from. The Fairmont Park system is lovely. Cripe, I used to cut through it to go to work. I've had to stop for deer many times at night. Still, the Cooper River Park is very nice on a less grand scale. I lived about 3 blocks from Cooper River Park for 20 years. I've seen deer strolling down the street coming from the park, while sitting on my front porch.

Old 04-08-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks, Gerania. Those were my thoughts entirely. Without any additional information it's hard to say much else. Cripes, it's walking distance to Haddonfield. Overall it's quiet. It's easy enough to get to all of the retail that anyone could want in Center City and South Jersey. I really do think that the Pine Barrens would blow the OP's mind. While I'm not from the UP, I am from SW Lower Michigan. I had cousins who grew up in a very rural area. I understand where the OP is coming from. The Fairmont Park system is lovely. Cripe, I used to cut through it to go to work. I've had to stop for deer many times at night. Still, the Cooper River Park is very nice on a less grand scale. I lived about 3 blocks from Cooper River Park for 20 years. I've seen deer strolling down the street coming from the park, while sitting on my front porch.
I've had ducks, turkeys, racoons, opossum, groundhogs, deer, an owl and hawks on my property in the Southern New Jersey suburbs. Lots of houses. Ducks and turkeys on your lawn. There were redwing blackbirds and bats by the lake. I'd take that any day over the city.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've had ducks, turkeys, racoons, opossum, groundhogs, deer, an owl and hawks on my property in the Southern New Jersey suburbs. Lots of houses. Ducks and turkeys on your lawn. There were redwing blackbirds and bats by the lake. I'd take that any day over the city.
Plenty of racoons, the occasional possum in my parents yard and later my own. Bats galore, too. A friend had a duck build a nest in her yard, across the street from me. My mom's best friend fed a family of racoons, nightly, to keep them out of trash cans. All this in Cherry Hill. So much for someone who never lived there referring to the concrete that makes up the roads that cut through it.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,753,453 times
Collingswood is a fine suggestion based on lifestyle preferences. When I hear “artsy” and “non drinker”, that’s Collingswood to a T. And I do think they would especially like the Pine Barrens access and also to Freedom Park in Medford which has a skate park and also an incredible dog park for their dog to play in, loaded with agility courses and obstacles and a swimming hole.

However, the major problem there is finding a rental for $1,400. Whatever is out there would be in worse areas of Collingswood, not near downtown and the train station. Which also means life will be doubly hard with them only having 1 car. Even if they were able to snag something downtown, they might still find it hard to exist with only one car, since you don’t really have a supermarket to walk to in Collingswood. The couple would be entirely reliant on the 1 person with the car to do all of the shopping, and if the car is out and that or some other errand needs to be run, they are **** out of luck.

Old 04-09-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Collingswood is a fine suggestion based on lifestyle preferences. When I hear “artsy” and “non drinker”, that’s Collingswood to a T. And I do think they would especially like the Pine Barrens access and also to Freedom Park in Medford which has a skate park and also an incredible dog park for their dog to play in, loaded with agility courses and obstacles and a swimming hole.

However, the major problem there is finding a rental for $1,400. Whatever is out there would be in worse areas of Collingswood, not near downtown and the train station. Which also means life will be doubly hard with them only having 1 car. Even if they were able to snag something downtown, they might still find it hard to exist with only one car, since you don’t really have a supermarket to walk to in Collingswood. The couple would be entirely reliant on the 1 person with the car to do all of the shopping, and if the car is out and that or some other errand needs to be run, they are **** out of luck.
Medford has the most wonderful dog park that I've ever seen. A property with horses had access to the back, third field, and they would sometimes walk horses around the perimeter.

It's possible to live in the suburbs with one car. I've done it in several places. I shopped after supper and on weekends. Sometimes I asked my husband to pick up something on the way home from work. I tried to avoid that. I learned how to plan, shop, and had nothing more than an occasional medical emergency which didn't quite require a 911 call. I don't think that he was terribly sad that he had to leave work to take me to the ER.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post

There are Acmes in Haddonfield and Westmont walkable from the PATCO stations in those towns. Many other grocery stores are accessible via bus by shopping on the PATCO train to Haddonfield.

Old 04-10-2021, 05:49 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
East Falls would be my pick.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:35 PM

The ShopRite is pretty close. That's one primary need taken care of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia