Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 07:18 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times

Advertisements

If you have seen properties around Media, that should be great. Same with Havertown and Glenside/Jenkintown.
I think most don't consider the latter 2 to be too rural in feel ( nor Media but it's a touch more) so if that part works for you- the schools are fine and the commute should be fine as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 03:31 PM

26 posts, read 41,195 times
Brookhaven maybe an option for you or maybe the wallingford area. Prices are very high right now and increase daily now.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:01 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenwonders View Post
I guess the real question is what are the more spacious areas within a 45 min commute that are more affordable. I've seen some good properties in Delaware County around Media/Elwyn in our range, as well as Havertown and Glenside/Jenkintown. Not being from the area, it's hard to really gauge the feel for these places but as long as they don't feel like a mini version of the big city we'd be happy.
The places you mention are regular suburban areas, lots of single-family homes, some with nice-sized yards. Not rural, but not city-like. Most were built in the 50s and 60s when yards were larger. You can satellite view these areas to see how "spacious" they look. We really don't know what would be an acceptable level of "spacious-ness" to you since you started out wanting rural.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:23 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
It’s a shame you’ve “decided” against New Jersey, because outer Gloucester County/inner Salem County probably have exactly what you’re looking for. It’s more difficult to accomplish this in Pennsylvania, because the northern and western Philadelphia suburbs are so much more built-up.

On the other hand, if Newtown Square and West Chester appeal to you, then you probably don’t want a rural feel after all. But your budget constraints will make things tough out that way—not impossible—but somewhat difficult.

If second ring suburban or “inner exurban” would suffice, you have a lot more options. I agree with other posters suggesting Northwestern Montgomery County. Things start to feel just a bit more spacious along the PA-73 corridor past Blue Bell (although that area continues to rapidly develop). The greater Downingtown Area is another good suggestion. You won’t be able to buy into a shiny, new Toll Brothers development, but you should be able to find well-maintained, older homes on a decent plot of land. In both cases, you’re really pushing that 45 minute commute requirement.

Delaware County will mostly be too congested for your liking, and the options that could fit the bill in theory (Garnet Valley, Glen Mills, Concordville, Chadds Ford), will be too far and too expensive. Media, Swarthmore, and Wallingford will be too built up (and also pushing the limits of your budget), and the same goes for the Old York Road corridor toward Abington and Jenkintown.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 8,658 times
Thanks for the great advice. It was probably wrong to decide against NJ. We didn't realize just how spacious and more affordable it is, even after factoring in taxes. The feel seems a lot closer to what we're looking for than almost everywhere within reach on the PA side, but we're still not sold per se and would still probably prefer a place in PA if it were the right fit.

Do you think the NJ side will continue to get built up pretty heavily in the coming years? It seems odd that more people haven't moved that way given how tough the PA side is.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:14 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Thanks for the great advice. It was probably wrong to decide against NJ. We didn't realize just how spacious and more affordable it is, even after factoring in taxes. The feel seems a lot closer to what we're looking for than almost everywhere within reach on the PA side, but we're still not sold per se and would still probably prefer a place in PA if it were the right fit.

Do you think the NJ side will continue to get built up pretty heavily in the coming years? It seems odd that more people haven't moved that way given how tough the PA side is.
That area will see some building but won't build out. You have to watch the school quality, though.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:02 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Quote:

New Jersey housing is definitely lower, and that is mostly do to the property taxes being noticeably higher. NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation. I believe Pennsylvania is around #12 highest. (Obviously this all is dependent on the local municipality).

The Pennsylvania suburbs are more expensive overall when you want to stay within a 45 minute commute to Philadelphia.

I would suggest looking in the Royersford and Phoenixville area. Phoenixville is a very lovely community with a vibrant small town feel and just outside of the town it gets a rural/suburban feel fast.

400k will definitely be doable. It is about a 15 minute drive to the SEPTA train station for access to Philadelphia.

I think you would do well here in finding what you are looking for.

Downingtown might also be a consideration, but the commute would be closer to 60 minutes to get to Center City, but Downingtown has both SEPTA and Amtrak service.

You mentioned train access and the rural NJ communities are limited in transit more so than the Pennsylvania side, where the Pennsylvania side has an extensive regional rail network that you can drive to to access the train. The NJ side only has one line which makes it less convenient. I say this only because you mentioned wanting to be close to a train.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
New Jersey housing is definitely lower, and that is mostly do to the property taxes being noticeably higher. NJ has the highest property taxes in the nation. I believe Pennsylvania is around #12 highest. (Obviously this all is dependent on the local municipality).

The Pennsylvania suburbs are more expensive overall when you want to stay within a 45 minute commute to Philadelphia.

I would suggest looking in the Royersford and Phoenixville area. Phoenixville is a very lovely community with a vibrant small town feel and just outside of the town it gets a rural/suburban feel fast.

400k will definitely be doable. It is about a 15 minute drive to the SEPTA train station for access to Philadelphia.

I think you would do well here in finding what you are looking for.

Downingtown might also be a consideration, but the commute would be closer to 60 minutes to get to Center City, but Downingtown has both SEPTA and Amtrak service.

You mentioned train access and the rural NJ communities are limited in transit more so than the Pennsylvania side, where the Pennsylvania side has an extensive regional rail network that you can drive to to access the train. The NJ side only has one line which makes it less convenient. I say this only because you mentioned wanting to be close to a train.

We definitely love the Phoenixville area but we've been weary of it because the transit is a bit too annoying with the drive plus transfers. Downingtown seems like a better option logistically with the single straight shot train line, and in the future we could consider driving if we aren't happy with the train. It seems like for what we're looking for, places as far out as Downingtown/Phoenixville/Lansdale may be the best options.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:01 PM

11 posts, read 9,775 times
Delaware county is probably your best bet. My wife and I have been living in a 700 sq ft. rowhome in South Philly with a 2 year old and a 3 month old. Saw lots of nice properties in the Springfield area. 400k could get you into Valley Forge. We wanted a big yard, so we sucked up the property tax woes and bought in Elk Twp, NJ. If you can handle at least 4k in taxes a year, 400k can get you a lot in Gloucester or Burlington county. I work in Camden so the commute isn't a huge deal for me. Best of luck to your family!

Old 05-10-2021, 09:57 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:

I've always wondered that myself. I'd drive over the Commodore Barry Bridge and it would go from completely congested on the PA side to farmland on the Jersey side. And then I noticed a lot of new developments along 322 but still, why isn't the South Jersey side just a continuation of the Philly metro area -- as it is up in North Jersey adjacent to NYC?

Anyway, I'm not asking the OP to answer this, but obviously I'm not the only one who wonders about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia