Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2021, 05:25 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
He is a joke. That child screams about others prejudices and now agrees with a policy that excludes people. The idiot was there on opening night. I'm sure if they ever made him wait for a table, he would cry racism, that is the type of person he is.

But, I don't agree with the new money thing. Sure it is around, but a lot of normal or actual affluent people may dine there. I would say Ernest Owens is a new money type (without the money), but that type thankfully doesn't exist much in Philadelphia. People here either have money or they don't, lol.
I don't share EO's worldview, but one reason I defended him when just about everyone who knows me in the Gayborhood — and it probably wouldn't surprise you to hear that I know lots of people in our "official" LGBT community, from the late Barbara Gittings on down — gave me an earful about him was this:

Whenever he did straight news reporting, he played the story down the middle and gave all sides a chance to be heard in the story. That is, or ought to be, the one thing you should ask of a reporter.

But there's something else about him that IMO goes a long way towards to explaining both his resentments and his love of life's luxuries. You can find the answer buried in the second section of this autobiographical essay that ran in the September 2017 issue of the print mag:

A Black Face in a White Space: My Four Years at Penn | Philadelphia magazine

What precedes and follows the five paragraphs that begin with "My high school education..." is all stuff I'm sure you've all read or heard before from other Black men, including me. But what I took out of those five paragraphs was this, and it's the reason I tell people that EO has a little Donald Trump in him:

He attended a run-of-the-mill public high school in Houston that the (more likely than not affluent and white) smart kids looked down their noses at. He wanted very much to be accepted by this crowd and treated as one of them, but they would not grant him that courtesy.

And here's where he and Trump part company: While both made it into Penn, Owens got in because he actually had the smarts, talent and drive needed to succeed at the school. There's scant evidence that Trump had any of those things save drive. But he too wanted to be accepted by New York's elite, which snubbed him repeatedly in similar fashion.

My trajectory differs from Owens' in one crucial respect: At the point where I could have continued in public school in Kansas City, my Mom enrolled me in the city's most prestigious private school for boys. And if you read my September 2020 Schools Issue cover feature, I believe she did that so that I could compete with the white boys on their turf, by their rules — and beat them. And there would be no questioning my ability to do so.

(And I was indeed accepted by my classmates, both then and at the reunions I've attended since. I learned at the last one I attended that a white kid who lived in a low-income housing project on KC's north side considered me his hero because of how easy I made the classwork seem when I helped him with assignments.)

I consider stories like Owens' tragic, both because they reveal how unmeritocratic our meritocrats can be and because they do show that the sort of condescension and slighting the folks up the ladder display towards those on the lower rungs of it can produce real psychic damage.

Pardon my thread hijacking. You can all resume talking about food. Feel free to PM me, though, if you'd like to take this discussion further. I might start a thread of its own if I get enough interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 09:45 AM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
Today's lunch: An Italian Panini from Wawa with sweet peppers and garlic aioli.

Pretty good, hit the spot.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:09 AM

Today's lunch - A hot combo (hot sausage + fishcake) from Johhny's Hots.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:38 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Am headed out later to the Gaul Malt House for a Kielbasa Cheesesteak. YUM!

Old 06-10-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Am headed out later to the Gaul Malt House for a Kielbasa Cheesesteak. YUM!
Nice.

Port Richmond or Rockledge?

Old 06-10-2021, 06:10 PM

So:

Any Delaware Countians want to report on that special spicy "Mare of Easttown" cheesesteak Wawa unveiled today at their newest store in Delco?

It's only being sold at Wawas in the county.

Old 06-10-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
So:

Any Delaware Countians want to report on that special spicy "Mare of Easttown" cheesesteak Wawa unveiled today at their newest store in Delco?

I ran into our buddy, Thom, on Aramingo in Fishtown today.

He looks well.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
I ran into our buddy, Thom, on Aramingo in Fishtown today.

He looks well.
Frankly, given that he and I are almost the same age (I think I have a year or two on him), I'd say he looks downright boyish still.

Now, about that cheesesteak?

Old 06-10-2021, 09:32 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
So:

You can custom order it.

It is a Wawa shorti Cheesesteak with, Cheddar Cheese and Spicy Cherry Pepper Relish.

It's available in all Wawa's in the region. You just have to customize to add the cheddar cheese and the spicy cherry pepper relish. Honestly... I think it was a bit of a marketing miss, they only limited the "pre selected" version in just DELCO.

It sounds good tho. Ill get one. lol

Old 06-11-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
You can custom order it.

It is a Wawa shorti Cheesesteak with, Cheddar Cheese and Spicy Cherry Pepper Relish.

It's available in all Wawa's in the region. You just have to customize to add the cheddar cheese and the spicy cherry pepper relish. Honestly... I think it was a bit of a marketing miss, they only limited the "pre selected" version in just DELCO.

It sounds good tho. Ill get one. lol
Thanks for the intel.

I think I'll get one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia