U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,159 times

Advertisements

I’m a 22 year old guy and I’m possibly moving out to Philadelphia in a couple weeks. I need help trying to figure out the right place to live and learn a little about the neighborhoods. I will be heading out there in 2 weeks for an interview and would like to know what places to scope out. I would really appreciate any help.

When are you planning on moving? June 15th
where are you coming from? Long Beach California
Why are you moving to Philly? Job Opportunity
Where will you work? Germantown (300 Chelten Avenue)
Have you been here yet? Several times, going out there again Memorial Day Weekend
Are you here short term or long term? Trying it out for the summer and seeing how it works out.

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Studio, Apartment, Shared Room ($600 budget)

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, No
Do you prefer public or private schools? -
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Nope
Are you keeping a car? No, Ill be taking my bike.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Doesn’t matter

What do you want to be closest to?
Work: A bike ride away or public transportation would be great.
Shopping: This would be nice, but not like fashion chain stuff -- looking more for smaller shops, restaurants, bookstores, cafes, etc.
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.): This is pretty important since I don't have a car and would like some places that are convenient
Nightlife: would be really cool but not necessary

Train or subway stations: very important.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I want to live somewhere that will make me LOVE Philly. I am Mexican and I’m prepared for the culture shock. In terms of neighborhood safety, I grew up in Long Beach and I come prepared for the worst. I can handle myself and I’m not scared of crime or anything like that but I also don’t want to carry a shank with me on the regular.

I would like to live somewhere that is close to the happening spots such as music spots, cool shops and museums. Thanks homies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM

15 posts, read 54,074 times
Mi pana i suggest a few areas.
im a 21 year old panamanian and have lived all over philly and surrounding areas...
firstly there is northeast phila which has apt prices from about 600-800 for studio and one bedrooms. i say northeast because bike riding is a little more open there.
the broad street area is busy but you might be able to find some apartments in your price range around there.
see i dont kno are you a sub-urb type hombre o a city type?
i live in north philly (rising sun and n 5th street area)now and its nice because there are so many Latinos like me but honestly ur best to walk around here or definitly have a car in my opinion. the problem with philly is that many suburb or much nicer areas are so expensive! i would definitely suggest visiting philly first before you move because philly is a great city bu tit depends on your job, state of mind/optimism, home life, night life,etc

let me know if you need mas info

Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM

3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
I'm assuming you mean 300 W. Chelten (E. Chelten's over in Oaklane)? Try looking in East Falls or parts of Germantown and Mt. Airy. Some areas are better than others, but if you find something specific someone might be able to help you out on that. If you're not going to have a car, definitely check out walkable/bikeable options, or look at your public transit options and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia