U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:24 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times

Advertisements

You should like Chadds Ford very much.Beautiful area. The suspense movie "The Village" by M Night Shyamalin was filmed in Chadds Ford if you want to get a glimpse of the landscape.There are plenty of gentle rolling hills in the area.

Great location for an easy commute to Wilmington,West Chester,Lancaster,King of Prussia,and Center City Philadelphia.

Unionville-Chadds Ford is a very very good school district but perhaps not quite as lofty as oorm would suggest. Oorm is either misguided or has some sort of repressed envy issues in dealing with "The Mainline" which is the wealthiest portion of metro Philadelphia and subsequently has the top public schools in the Philadlephia area, but I digress::

Good luck and here are a couple links that may be of help to you

Some real estate in Chadds Ford to give you an idea what you are dealing with
Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania real estate. Homes for sale in Chadds Ford, PA

Brandywine Valley
Brandywine Valley Guide: Southern Chester County PA

Philadlephia Inquirer report on area schools
Inquirer Report Card on the Schools - Philadelphia Inquirer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 AM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Point of information: Rainrock lives in the heart of the Main Line, has no children, and is set in her opinions regardless of what the facts state.

The information I posted comes from a ranking of all school districts in the state of PA from 2007. It is not biased like one from Philadelphia magazine, which confuses the Main Line with the city itself, would be. It is not based upon one test score and all the hoping, willing, and wishing that someone with an agenda like, say, Rainrock, might do to bolster her opinions that she then passes on as fact.

Most of the Main Line would make a commute to Wilmington more painful. The fact of the matter is that Tredyffrin schools are #2 in the state, therefore #1 in the area, Unionville-Chadds Ford are #6 in the state, #2 in the area, regardless of what Rainrock thinks she knows. Radnor was #8, Lower Merion #10, Great Valley #13, Wallingford # 16, Garnet Valley #20, Rose Tree Media #21, West Chester #25, Downingtown #33, Haverford #52, etc. etc. etc. Now bear in mind this is a ranking of school districts by those who rank such things. Not a single test score or a mag's opinion of who has the best high school or whatever. I'm looking at this stuff and passing it on as a parent who wants the best place for my kids to grow up.

Do I think Radnor and Lower Merion are too snobby for me and say so to others? Yup, but I also say they have great schools and if you are moving from a similar area you may fit right in. So while I have an opinion of those areas and the majority of the people living there, I am also fair and balanced when presenting information about them. Why Rain sees conspiracies everywhere, I have no idea.

YMMV but I would advise you take most opinions you find on here with a boulder of salt.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Point of information: Rainrock lives in the heart of the Main Line, has no children, and is set in her opinions regardless of what the facts state.
Rainrock does have kids, he's also fair in his analysis of the entire Philadlephia region. He simply doesn't fall in love and take for gospel a national school website who has never had an associate spend one day in any of the Philadelphia area schools.

Quote:
The information I posted comes from a ranking of all school districts in the state of PA from 2007. It is not biased like one from Philadelphia magazine, which confuses the Main Line with the city itself, would be.
The link I gave was from an indepth report from the Philadelphia Inquirer(HQ Broad + Callowhill,Philadlephia Pa.) where writers gather first hand knowledge from local schools. The info does not come from Philadelphia Magazine or some website in Silicon Valley who doesnt know Philadelphia Pa. from Philadelphia Ms..

About the Data

Public School Districts
Information about public school districts is based largely on responses to a survey sent to superintendents last fall by The Inquirer. Data are for 2007-08, unless noted otherwise. Some information was provided by the Departments of Education in Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oormobl
Most of the Main Line would make a commute to Wilmington more painful.
Absolutely 100% correct. If you concentrate you would have seen I was not suggesting AAVC commute from the Mainline to Wilmington.Chadds Ford /Unionville is the best location given the circumstances. I was simply trying to set the record straight in regards to false information given by a certain individual.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that Tredyffrin schools are #2 in the state, therefore #1 in the area, Unionville-Chadds Ford are #6 in the state, #2 in the area, regardless of what Rainrock thinks she knows. Radnor was #8, Lower Merion #10, Great Valley #13, Wallingford # 16, Garnet Valley #20, Rose Tree Media #21, West Chester #25, Downingtown #33, Haverford #52, etc. etc. etc.
oorm thats according to 1 website probably located on the west coast. If you read 25 other websites you'd have have 25 different opinions. Stop using that one website as gospel. If anything the Philadelphia Inquirers comprehensive report should be the gold standard.Much more so than schoolbs.com

Good luck AAVC. Oorm gave you good info on Chadds Ford , he's off a bit on his school facts but no big deal. I'm moving on.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:11 AM

Sorry for discrepancies Rain, I was told you were a female, and you never refer to where your children attend school but anecdotes of friends kids on the Main Line.

So Rain, pray tell, where do your children attend school?

As for the rest of your retort, well, its rubbish quite frankly.

Three of top school districts in state hail from Allegheny County - Pittsburgh Business Times:

This article is from the Pittsburgh Business Times and ranks all school districts (not just high schools) statewide.

Tredyff comes in at #2. And Unionville-Chadds Ford comes in at #6, higher than your beloved Lower Merion and scandal plagued Radnor, sorry to break it to you.

By the way the BEST high school in PA is Masterman in Philly, just hold your nose as you enter and I'm sure you'll survive it not being a Main Line school. Next was Conestoga - these were the only 2 to be ranked in the top 100 in the US News and World Report Study last year.

Which is why I'm still shooting for Tredyffrin.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
So Rain, pray tell, where do your children attend school?
Its none of your business where my children attend school! Who asks personal information like this anyway?

Quote:
By the way the BEST high school in PA is Masterman in Philly, just hold your nose as you enter and I'm sure you'll survive it not being a Main Line school. Next was Conestoga - these were the only 2 to be ranked in the top 100 in the US News and World Report Study last year.

Masterman is a Charter School.It pulls the best of the Philadlephia students from 300,000 potential candidates.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post

Three of top school districts in state hail from Allegheny County - Pittsburgh Business Times:

This article is from the Pittsburgh Business Times and ranks all school districts (not just high schools) statewide.

Tredyff comes in at #2. And Unionville-Chadds Ford comes in at #6, higher than your beloved Lower Merion and scandal plagued Radnor, sorry to break it to you.

Dont you find it a bit curious that a study done by a PIttsburgh paper has 3 of the 4 top school districts in the state come from Pittsburgh? Eventhough the economy of the Philadlephia area is 4x that of Pittsburgh

You can believe the Pittsburgh report all you want, but for Philadlephia area schools I would tend to follow a Philadlephia area publication. I'm a little bit skeptical myself.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Back to the OP, guys......

I agree that Chadds Ford is a very good match, location-wise. Schools are very good as well. This number stuff is just that-numbers. It's pretty standard for schools to spend much time prepping for the Pennsylvania state tests now so they can have bragging rights and the numbers that look oh so good on paper. This is not to say that you can ignore the numbers but that they are just one piece of the puzzle. Look at the area, visit the schools and talk to the Principals, and see if it feels right to you.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Dont you find it a bit curious that a study done by a PIttsburgh paper has 3 of the 4 top school districts in the state come from Pittsburgh? Eventhough the economy of the Philadlephia area is 4x that of Pittsburgh

You can believe the Pittsburgh report all you want, but for Philadlephia area schools I would tend to follow a Philadlephia area publication. I'm a little bit skeptical myself.
Since when does wealth automatically equal better schools? Better high school scores, yes, better schools, not necessarily.

I find it amusing that you have a million excuses for why other studies etc. are flawed but you can't admit that Masterman is a better school bc the students aren't necessarily from wealthy families.

Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
C'mon guys, you keep having the same arguments. It's getting old and really has nothing to do with the OP. Did the OP say, what is the very best school district between Philadelphia and Wilmington? No. Who cares?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:09 PM

393 posts, read 1,427,602 times
Thank you all very much for all the information. I think what really matters to me in a school is the environment before the test scores. I do believe that the test scores are important, however, an environment that promotes respect for each student, values diversity and nurtures growth is the best for building self esteem for the kids... And healthy self esteem can take one very far in life. One of my kids is attending the #1 school in our town (based on test scores), but the kids there are under so much pressure to perform that is causing them to be very competitive and quite mean at times... This is one of the reasons why we are so ready for a change.

We are coming out next weekend to look around, and I can't wait. Thank you so much for the good advice - I feel so lucky for having found this forum.

Best of luck to everyone!

AAVC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or