Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 07:26 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times

Advertisements

I was picking up a group of people through Lyft in the Old City section of the city. The app showed that the group was waiting inside the parking lot. I went into the parking lot and put my flashers on. I stayed in my car. There were two women and a child. They left the vicinity soon afterward and closed the garage door and I was locked inside for an hour.

The group of people I was trying to pick up showed up and tried to help me get out within the first 5 minutes, but then they had to leave in another Lyft.

During this hour after, I flagged down a few passerbys to try to help me out. I tried yelling sporadically and no one came out of the building. I then had to call the police and the policewoman was unable to help me find a person. Finally, when the policewoman was about to leave I flagged down another resident walking and she had a buzzer let me and my vehicle out.

I probably would've called local news to help me out if the policewoman had to leave me there to wait it off by myself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 09:13 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
What the...?

Where was this?

Old 07-22-2021, 10:45 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Lol! No offense, but this seems to be completely your fault. You went into a private lot then got stuck inside of it..

Old 07-22-2021, 11:01 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
They left the vicinity soon afterward and closed the garage door and I was locked inside for an hour.
They closed the garage door? What type of lot was this? Was it just your car that was trapped or your physical person as well? Kind of scary if it was the latter.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:25 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
I got stuck in the garage at Abington Hospital a little over a year ago. My daughter was in labor, I was in a pay as you leave garage that closes at 10PM. Nurses told me not to worry the gate stays up after 10. Well they were wrong. At 2AM the gate was down. There was an intercom to contact security, although sat there for a good 30 mins until they came. Of course I never had to pay. LOL

Old 07-22-2021, 01:20 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
If its a private lot, that woman didn't realize that was some unknown car with the blinkers on? And yeah, the people that you were picking up probably should have done more. But frankly, as for being ignored by the passerbys, I would have done the same thing. 9/10 if someone is trying to flag you down, they give you some sad story and then ask for money. I ignore them.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
What the...?

Where was this?
3XX N. American St.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Lol! No offense, but this seems to be completely your fault. You went into a private lot then got stuck inside of it..
Very true. Although, when I was yelling for help with explanations, started asking other people for help, and especially when a policewoman showed up and apparently one of the women was probably looking out the window, it was beyond cruel. Like, I get it. But it's sad that people can be paranoid to that degree. It's not healthy. It reminded me of being in worlds where I don't really even get a chance to build authentic belongingness because of how I look, talk, and/or my mannerisms.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
They closed the garage door? What type of lot was this? Was it just your car that was trapped or your physical person as well? Kind of scary if it was the latter.
It was a private lot. It was one level- no roof, but a metal fence. So, I could see over it and people could see me and the cars. There was a door separating the parking lot from the entrance to the adjoining condominium and entrance alleyway, but that was locked. So, in essence, I was also trapped within as a physical person as well.

I was slightly laughing inside and slightly frustrated and slightly moved to try to get out- all at the same time.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
If its a private lot, that woman didn't realize that was some unknown car with the blinkers on? And yeah, the people that you were picking up probably should have done more. But frankly, as for being ignored by the passerbys, I would have done the same thing. 9/10 if someone is trying to flag you down, they give you some sad story and then ask for money. I ignore them.
There is no way the people I was picking up would've known that there was a private lot that just happened to be open to pull in to, and I was focused on the app telling me that the people I was picking up were located in the private lot.

While I get the whole ignoring thing, I wasn't totally ignored as being beside my car, and speaking loudly, but briefly, made my intentions clear. If people felt they could try to help me, they would, but if they were on their merry way, then they would acknowledge curtly that they couldn't help and I would look around and think about what else I could do. There was something about the vibe I gave up where people knew I wasn't asking for money standing by my car and probably my dress of clothes and maybe my mannerisms certainly didn't indicate that, and it would be an awkward situation to be doing such a thing, but anything is possible including me ending up in a private lot in that situation by accident, lol.

Only other thing I could've done was call local news to try to get publicity to get me out of that awkward spot sooner. That might've been my next step if the policewoman left and I was still stranded, which was about to happen, except that another passerby I happened to question did have a buzzer and was okay letting me out and understood the situation.

There was no contact information for the lot in terms of who I could call to get out- I certainly did look around for this and so did the policewoman when she arrived. The policewoman had the opportunity to knock on individually in the complex to ask if someone had a buzzer to open the vehicle gate, but I can certainly understand why she chose not to sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: