Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,195,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The first couple articles I skimmed missed the major point that the CDC is recommending that vaccinated mask up indoors in counties with “substantial” and “high” COVID transmission rates. All of the Southeastern Pennsylvania counties are still at the “moderate” level. Most of the Commonwealth is, for that matter. I wonder how much longer that will last, though.

Compared to the rest of the country, our state isn’t doing too badly. Per the CDC map, much of the South and Lower Midwest is beet red (i.e., high transmission ground zero):

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view
Purely anecdotal, I know, but my very good friend just got back from a family trip to Disney World (her husband and two children). She is not vaccinated, but her husband and her older daughter are. She took necessary precautions as required (masking, etc.) and came back totally fine. So I suppose she just got lucky?

Old 07-28-2021, 09:04 AM

1,170 posts, read 600,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Trump was as much responsible for the development of the vaccine as anyone, and promoted it before it even existed (despite resistance from Democrats). Not that he's no longer President, you expect him to do Biden's job for him? Just remember, this is happening on Biden's watch.
Yes, it is his job. Every other President in history has continued to advocate for the public good, even if it helps the sitting President. Notice Obama and Bush advocate for the vaccine? Because they think its good for the country and they are doing it politics be dammed. I know, no Trumpist could understand that concept. It is particularly relevant hear because many (not all) would could be swayed by Trump and no one else. Thats how cults work. I digress, it is gets clearer every day that "American First" always meant "Trump First".

In short, your comment exemplifies the tribalism that is ruining our country.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:12 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,492,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Yes, it is his job. Every other President in history has continued to advocate for the public good, even if it helps the sitting President. Notice Obama and Bush advocate for the vaccine? Because they think its good for the country and they are doing it politics be dammed. I know, no Trumpist could understand that concept. It is particularly relevant hear because many (not all) would could be swayed by Trump and no one else. Thats how cults work. I digress, it is gets clearer every day that "American First" always meant "Trump First".

In short, your comment exemplifies the tribalism that is ruining our country.
Except that Trump has in fact publicly encouraged people to get vaccinated, so not sure where your false narrative is coming from. Here is just one of many articles (in a liberal media outlet, no less) that anyone could easily google in a few seconds if they were so inclined to find the truth. Please stop spreading misinformation.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/16/97800...its-of-freedom

Old 07-28-2021, 02:21 PM

899 posts, read 545,399 times
Quote:
Except that Trump has in fact publicly encouraged people to get vaccinated, so not sure where your false narrative is coming from. Here is just one of many articles (in a liberal media outlet, no less) that anyone could easily google in a few seconds if they were so inclined to find the truth. Please stop spreading misinformation.

I distinctly remember Biden and Harris openly saying they didn't trust the vaccine and wouldn't take the vaccine during the campaigning last October, because the vaccine development was happening under Trump's watch. Funny how that is quickly forgotten while everyone is accusing Trump for stopping people from getting the vaccine while he in fact has openly encouraged people to get it and was one of the first people to get it.

Weird times we live in. Weird times.

Just like the media is all over the rural white Republicans not getting vaccinated while ignoring that a high percentage of urban people "of color" also aren't getting vaccinated and one can hardly accuse them of being Trump supporters. But as I said, we live in weird times.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:59 PM

That doesn't really capture the reality at that time. The fear was Trump would push through an unsafe vaccine to help him win an election. This is rooted in numerous cases where he has strong armed formerly independent institutions to his will, and thats why there was hesitation. This was not paranoia, he had a history. Would he let people die in order to win? Sure, again, this why it was a bad idea to elect someone with zero mores.

What changed? The scientific community, not Trump with a sharpie, gave it the go ahead.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Sean Hannity earlier this week said people should get vaccinated. One statement does not an advocate make. If you listen to Trump, getting "the routers" is the biggest issue for America right now.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:42 PM

1,215 posts, read 963,298 times
Well, we might have much bigger problems than GOP v Dems. (and of course the never-ending Trump debate). Again, this is a health issue, a virus that doesn't care one bit if it infects and kills a devout Trumper or a BLM leader. The Phillies game with the Nationals was just cancelled because 12 people on the Washington Nationals team tested possible for the virus. The worrisome issue is that 11 of them were fully vaccinated. I believe most were vaccinated with the less efficacious J&J shot, and there haven't been many reported infections to people fully vaccinated with the Moderna or Pfizer versions, but still... concerning.

Old 07-28-2021, 10:49 PM

14,329 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
I distinctly remember Biden and Harris openly saying they didn't trust the vaccine and wouldn't take the vaccine during the campaigning last October, because the vaccine development was happening under Trump's watch. Funny how that is quickly forgotten while everyone is accusing Trump for stopping people from getting the vaccine while he in fact has openly encouraged people to get it and was one of the first people to get it.

Weird times we live in. Weird times.

Just like the media is all over the rural white Republicans not getting vaccinated while ignoring that a high percentage of urban people "of color" also aren't getting vaccinated and one can hardly accuse them of being Trump supporters. But as I said, we live in weird times.
We do.

But I was listening to the mayor of the city of St. Louis being interviewed on MSNBC tonight and being asked about whether the city was taking different approaches to dealing with vaccine hesitancy among Blacks vs. vaccine hesitance among whites.

(The show host, in the runup to the interview, seemed to miss or trip over the fact that St. Louis City and St. Louis County are two separate and totally unrelated entities. The latter's county council voted today to rescind a mask mandate after a raucous county council meeting where people testified about getting COVID despite taking all the precautions and stuff like that. St. Louis County's county executive called the council vote invalid and said the mask mandate remained in effect.)

Old 07-29-2021, 05:01 AM

1,465 posts, read 627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
That doesn't really capture the reality at that time. The fear was Trump would push through an unsafe vaccine to help him win an election. This is rooted in numerous cases where he has strong armed formerly independent institutions to his will, and thats why there was hesitation. This was not paranoia, he had a history. Would he let people die in order to win? Sure, again, this why it was a bad idea to elect someone with zero mores.

What changed? The scientific community, not Trump with a sharpie, gave it the go ahead.
TDS on full display.

That was the MSM and the left telling you that ... and you chose to believe it.

Muh ... orange man bad.

Old 07-29-2021, 05:13 AM

14,329 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post

Muh ... orange man bad.
Well, he is astonishingly self-centered, doesn't really understand what it means to be loyal to someone or something, isn't as intelligent as he likes to portray himself to be, and his moral compass is either seriously out of whack or nonexistent. And from what I can tell, he needs the grift because he spends money like water.

But aside from that, I guess he's okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia