Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 10:59 AM

1,019 posts, read 434,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If this ProPublica feature is to be believed, those "progressive experiments" that sought to divert young men from activities that could lead to violence and defuse tense situations that might have done the same actually were making a difference in the violent crime rate along with smart policing and other strategies.

As Muinteoir said, the solutions to the problem, like the problem itself, are more complex and multifaceted than most people believe they are. Those "prevention" groups play a role too, just as preventive medicine and diet help keep us from getting sick.
Key conditional terms you use are ''if this ProPublica feature'' is to be believed and ''might'' have made a difference. I'll read it and perhaps discuss it in a crime or other social issues discussion thread perhaps?

This thread is about Philadelphia's population though.

UPDATE: I recently read this ProPublica article.

Last edited by MPK21; 08-17-2021 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 11:08 AM

21,432 posts, read 12,434,317 times
Big Asian Growth noticeable black % decline, both are consistent with NYC and Boston

Old 08-17-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Well, it was one of those "lucky accidents" that Center City never overbuilt its office market. Yes, it largely missed out on the office jobs boom that benefitted other cities during the 2000s and 2010s, but given remote work trends, which were always going to intensify long-term--pandemic or no pandemic--Philly has actually made itself more much more economically resilient relative to commercial real estate.

It has one of the most thoroughly mixed-use downtowns in the US, which is a critical component of vibrancy and stability. With its still overwhelmingly affordable urban real estate (for a large, East Coast city), walkability, robust public transit, and cultural vibrancy, it is primed to attract urban-minded remote workers and tons more opportunities for adaptive re-use flex office space.

Climate change is a far more pressing issue at the moment than AI. Frankly, I'm skeptical that AI will ever be able to replicate the intricacies of the human mind, but that's a whole other thread topic.

What's going on climatologically not just in the American West right now, but also across the globe, is very concerning, and it will have dramatic impacts on livability for substantial parts of the world. At the moment, aside from the obvious heat waves, Philadelphia seems to be on the lesser-impacted side. Let's all hope its stays that way.
As to your first point, lots of empty commercial space will be converted to residential use, but your rationalizing that Philly not seeing any (as in -0-) commercial building developments since the Reagan era being a good thing is pretty much the height of ridiculousness. A lack of commercial development is a lack of demand that translates to a lack of job creation, that translate to a lack of population growth. Somehow Philly caught a break the past 30+ years?

Also, the -1- building being built is a small building for a single use local tenant, Morgan-Lewis. Perhaps this will convert to a residential project before completion then.

While the human mind is intricate, AI is being created for lots of use in place of the human mind and this topic is concerning for of these jobs cities like Philly need to employ its unemployable no job skills underclass.

Alas, this is all for nothing, since according to climate expert and now millionaire Greta Thunberg, we'll all be dead by 2030 anyway. Poor girl better start spending that green (no pun intended) sooner than later.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Big Asian Growth noticeable black % decline, both are consistent with NYC and Boston
Are the 2020 census demographics out for cities?

I haven't seen the actual break-outs yet on these. Thought I read that the "white'' no longer includes ''white hispanic'' in the 2020 Census.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:53 AM

7,249 posts, read 10,499,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
As to your first point, lots of empty commercial space will be converted to residential use, but your rationalizing that Philly not seeing any (as in -0-) commercial building developments since the Reagan era being a good thing is pretty much the height of ridiculousness. A lack of commercial development is a lack of demand that translates to a lack of job creation, that translate to a lack of population growth. Somehow Philly caught a break the past 30+ years?
That wasn't my point necessarily. I do certainly agree that Philadelphia greatly under-performed its job-creating potential during the 1990-2010 period, and it's playing "catch up" to a large degree now. But I don't think the model of over-relying on commercial real estate as an economic development tool, like many cities, was exactly the way to go, either. And I think that conclusion will be increasingly obvious in the years to come.

Quote:
Are the 2020 census demographics out for cities?

I haven't seen the actual break-outs yet on these. Thought I read that the "white'' no longer includes ''white hispanic'' in the 2020 Census.
Here's the Census mapping tool where you can explore the latest racial demographics (state and county only). Philadelphia of course can be seen at the county level: https://www.census.gov/library/visua...20-census.html

Old 08-17-2021, 12:05 PM

743 posts, read 448,329 times
Quote:
Maybe learn how to follow the posts, Tiger. Muinteoir didn't state factual errors, didn't have anything to do with this misplaced point you're feebly trying to rationalize away.

How is it semantics when someone says Philly has seen this much population growth since the '50s? Sorry, but that's incorrect. The poster meant the '50s, so not sure how its semantics when it's plain old wrong.

If someone meant the '40s, he/she/they would have stated so.

Just another example of how people weasel their way out of and can't accept being wrong. Yet another example of The Age of Emotion; no one can ever be wrong when he/she/they makes an incorrect statement. ..cue the crying, anxiety, depression, or the famous mushroom cloud reactions....or any other assorted ''head issues'' people manipulate to not be responsible..lol.
The name of the city is Philadelphia. Try to be accurate please.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:43 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I wonder if the Black population grew considerably in Delaware, Montgomery, Chester, and Bucks Counties? Pittsburgh saw a huge decline of nearly 11,000 Black residents over the past decade, but Allegheny County (surrounding county) saw a large increase in Black residents overall, so it seems like Blacks are just being gentrified out of our city in droves and into the suburbs. I wonder if that's the case with Philadelphia, too.

Old 08-17-2021, 12:52 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,418,075 times
Quote:
I was only commenting on the posters taking offense (as usual) that cities like Phoenix cheated or it's unfair...blah blah blah.

This is supposed to be a discussion of city population, not metro size etc. Seems that people forgot or most likely didn't know that many legacy big cities were annexing adjacent towns and land for growth up to about 100 years ago, followed by the new big cities with Phoenix being the poster-city for this today. Columbus OH annexed adjacent communities in part by threatening to disconnect Columbus utility services.

Current leadership doesn't have the courage to address Philly's social woes, otherwise they would. Job creation is crucial; but what kind of jobs is Philly's embedded underclass qualified to do for this ''living wage''?

Radian is moving out of Center City to vastly smaller space out near K of P due to the success of remote working and although residential construction is currently good, the only new commercial building going up east of the Schuykill is the small building at 22/Market for a single tenant law firm; the fact that this is the only class A commercial building going up in Center City the past 30 years is astounding (the Comcast buildings, while huge complexes, were built and are Comcast properties). I'm talking about developers building and owning commercial buildings for rent to single or multiple-nixed tenants.

Climate change may have an effect on a place Phoenix, or not. What will have an effect on everyone, including the already decimated working class, is AI. AI is real and is going to cut deep into the middle class.

Philly needs to add 180,000 this decade and get growth rates on par with NY and DC, two cities that were dead or death spirals less than a few decades ago. Philly can do it, if it really wants to.

I mentioned the potential Philly could have it addressed its homicide and poverty issues and am called out for being a troll, hater...the usual responses from the fragile class in the Age of Emotion.
It's certainly worth noting why metro population is a better measurement of size than city limits. Philadelphia may have annexed some towns early on, but surely as you make that argument, you simultaneously understand that Phoneix expanded its geographical limits quite far, making its city limits about 4 times ours. So, under no practical terms is Phoenix larger than Philadelphia. Only under literal, city limit vs city limit terms, is it bigger. In a discussion about city size, it is completely on-topic to point out why literal city limit vs city limit is nearly irrelevant.

AI could be a major asset, if we have the creativity and courage to ensure it benefits all, not just the top 1%. There is no reason the middle class shouldn't enjoy a shorter work day and better conditions with the assistance of AI, less we yield to the desires of corporate billionaires as we so often do in this country. But, that's a discussion for another thread.

And yeah, I see growth in California and much of the West really slowing down as temps, wildfires, and draught all continue to exacerbate. The interior Northeast and Midwest may make it out the least scathed from climate change. Philadelphia is sort of on the cusp of interior and coastal, but is surely better positioned than NYC.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 08-17-2021 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 01:09 PM

13,960 posts, read 8,825,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
And yeah, I see growth in California and much of the West really slowing down as temps, wildfires, and draught all continue to exacerbate. The interior Northeast and Midwest may make it out the least scathed from climate change. Philadelphia is sort of on the cusp of interior and coastal, but is surely better positioned than NYC.
Once the Atlantic Ocean covers New Jersey, we'll be a coastal city at last.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:21 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,418,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Once the Atlantic Ocean covers New Jersey, we'll be a coastal city at last.
Wow! I never thought about how my place in the hills of Manayunk will one day become a coveted spot atop a bluff on the ocean. Talk about real estate appreciation! I am feeling even happier with my investment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia