Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2021, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,268 times

Advertisements

Im looking to buy a house and move to the Philly suburbs sometime next year and was seeing whats the difference between all 4 of the surrounding counties of the Philly area. The counties im talking about are Delaware, Bucks, Chester and Montgomery. Some things Im wondering about are:

Cost of Living / Taxes
Cultural Differences / Politics
Things to do / Types of work thats done in the area
Type of living (Rural vs Suburban vs Semi Urban)

I work from home so I dont have to be in a specific location. I also dont have kids yet but someday and the schools dont matter anytime in the near future. If anyone could give me a TDLR about each county, that would be even better. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 07:09 PM

1,170 posts, read 589,923 times
Its very difficult to describe each county, each one is pretty diverse. Delaware County for instance has both really rough urban areas and old money suburbs. Politically, all are blue to a varying degree. What are you looking for? That might be a better way to go about this.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:38 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Right, it's impossible to put each county into a specific category. Montgomery County, for example, runs the gamut of the "type of living" categories you mentioned -- rural, suburban, semi-urban. Now, Delaware County does have old-money suburbs but for the most part it's a working-class county and "Delco Pride" is strong. See the youtube video called "It's Going Down (in Delco)", also HBO's "Mare of Easttown". Bucks County ranges from cookie-cutter developments like Levittown to beautiful horse farms and quaint New Hope. Chester County is more rural, lots of McMansion developments plus the towns of West Chester and Phoenixville. As for taxes, I'm not familiar with all of them but I do know Delco is known for high taxes. There are tons of things to do in all the counties -- you're in metro Philly. It would definitely help if you filled out the questionnaire at the top of the thread.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:41 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,446,990 times
I agree with the above two posters. Delco includes both Darby and Chadds Ford. Montco includes both Ardmore and Pennsburg. Bucks has Bensalem and New Hope. Chester will feel the most exurban or rural.

Your search should start with the general type of city/town you want, which will likely give you some options across county lines. Each county has affluent and working class areas, and degrees of urbanity, sub-urbanity, and ruralness.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:22 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Additionally one key point.
The city of Chester is not in Chester county. It is in Delaware County (and is very likely not where you want to live.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia