Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2021, 01:27 PM

44 posts, read 44,242 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving to West Chester downtown. On my visits there, I didn't notice anything sketchy, even at 9 PM, aside from a few homeless people.

But when I came back and checked the crime stats online, I noticed several shootings this year (July, August and November) at West Chester Police Department's website. There was also a near-fatal stabbing not long ago.

How safe/dangerous is West Chester, especially the downtown area? Is it safe to walk around at night, say at 11 PM?

Crime stats indicate that West Chester is more dangerous than 79% of the cities and towns in the US. Yet many people say it's safe (on niche.com). A forum member TLC1957 repeatedly raves about West Chester in the Philadelphia forum. He posts the same long reply every time. Is his experience typical?

I'm moving from East Village in NYC. Is West Chester safer or more dangerous than EV?

What are my chances of getting mugged in West Chester?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-03-2021 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: removed identifiable location info
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 01:43 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I answered to the other thread but...
OBviously if this happened, it cannot be denied but truly I think you are totally fine walking around at 11 pm. I can't imagine that the east village is safer than WC.

I will be curious to see more answers from others

Old 12-02-2021, 01:44 PM

44 posts, read 44,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well I answered to the other thread but...
OBviously if this happened, it cannot be denied but truly I think you are totally fine walking around at 11 pm. I can't imagine that the east village is safer than WC.

I will be curious to see more answers from others
Could you post link to your answer to the other thread?

Old 12-03-2021, 08:50 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,615 times
I mean... there's not many urban areas that are more safe than anywhere in the village.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:59 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I mean... there's not many urban areas that are more safe than anywhere in the village.

are you really suggesting that the East Village is safer than West Chester? lol. Let's hope not for the sake of sanity.

Just a quick google search brings up the fact that West Chester Borough 'crime rate' is multiple times lower than the East Village.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:14 AM

401 posts, read 426,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novavax View Post
Hi,

I am moving to West Chester downtown. On my visits there, I didn't notice anything sketchy, even at 9 PM, aside from a few homeless people.

But when I came back and checked the crime stats online, I noticed several shootings this year (July, August and November) at West Chester Police Department's website. There was also a near-fatal stabbing not long ago.

How safe/dangerous is West Chester, especially the downtown area? Is it safe to walk around at night, say at 11 PM?

Crime stats indicate that West Chester is more dangerous than 79% of the cities and towns in the US. Yet many people say it's safe (on niche.com). A forum member TLC1957 repeatedly raves about West Chester in the Philadelphia forum. He posts the same long reply every time. Is his experience typical?

I'm moving from East Village in NYC. Is West Chester safer or more dangerous than EV?

What are my chances of getting mugged in West Chester?

Many thanks in advance.

Regarding West Chester being unsafe….stuff does happen. I am sure just like anyplace with 13K University students of young students who have been home for the past 18 months. BUT we have NEVER felt unsafe walking around West Chester during the day or night. We have never witnessed any violence or heard anything from our neighbors and friends apart from what we read in the media. I think the police do a great job in West Chester. IF others felt unsafe they would not be buying homes with many selling in a few days above asking price.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-03-2021 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-03-2021, 10:23 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
1. I'd very much caution against calling homeless people "sketchy." They are simply human beings without a home; that's a tragedy, not a criminal activity. Let's have a little compassion.

2. I generally find this post to be over-the-top. Coming from a city of over 8 million people to a town of under 20K, the thought of criminal activity wouldn't even cross my mind. You do realize that NYC has had quite a bit of a rash of violent crime itself lately, too, right? No place on earth is immune from criminal activity. That's just a fact of life.

3. Bottom line, like anywhere else--be aware of your surroundings during evening hours (especially if you're female), and you're far less likely to have a run-in with trouble.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:52 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
I'm sorry, I can't with this one...

Are these thread for real? If this is a weird troll thread, okay. But are people that clueless in life?

1. West Chester is a quaint walk-able suburban town, yes it's safe, safe as a town can be in the USA...

2. Moving from the East Village and concerned with crime and homeless? Two eyerolls for that comment.

And this is the same poster that considered moving to Rittenhouse Square but was turned off by the crime, called Media overrated, and is now an active poster in the crime thread (see other Philly threads)... All I can do is chuckle, lol.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:01 PM

401 posts, read 426,382 times
FYI
Regarding homeless people West Chester has a shelter @ 20 N Matlack St, West Chester, PA 19380. The location is a few blocks from where novovax plans to move to if this is a concern.

www.safeharborofgwc.org

Old 12-03-2021, 12:11 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,511,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I'm sorry, I can't with this one...

Are these thread for real? If this is a weird troll thread, okay. But are people that clueless in life?

1. West Chester is a quaint walk-able suburban town, yes it's safe, safe as a town can be in the USA...

2. Moving from the East Village and concerned with crime and homeless? Two eyerolls for that comment.

And this is the same poster that considered moving to Rittenhouse Square but was turned off by the crime, called Media overrated, and is now an active poster in the crime thread (see other Philly threads)... All I can do is chuckle, lol.

What's frustrating, is it basically is every single sub-forum on this website too. So few people actually use this site anymore, some of us come off as major homers for even pointing out the most basic and common sense opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia