Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 06:19 PM

333 posts, read 282,281 times

Advertisements

I grew up in East Oak Lane, so my my recollections may not be the most current, but I still drive through the area from time to time. My impression mirrors some of what others have said; EOL should be just as safe, if not a little safer, than where you're living now. It's almost entirely a quiet residential neighborhood, and not particularly high-density, so you won't get the same kind of noise or foot traffic you'd see in areas with more business activity. That can be both good and bad, but as long as you take the same precautions you'd take in any urban area, I don't think you need to worry about personal safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 11:52 PM

14,146 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post

Adams plaza and things like that that you might miss are still easily reachable from E. Oak Lane if you wanted to visit places there if you drive or Uber/Lyft.
The Route K bus, which runs along 66th Avenue in East Oak Lane, then drops down to Godfrey Avenue at 5th Street, passes Adams Plaza on its way to Arrott Transportation Center. It also serves the shopping center at Front and Godfrey that contains a huge H Mart supermarket.

H Mart stores are paradises for lovers of Asian cuisines and flavors, Korean in particular. And the company that owns the chain locates the stores near sizable Korean-American communities.

Olney is one such, and there has been some friction between Black and Korean residents and shop owners over the years.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:50 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jievbo View Post
Property taxes haha. Plus this is my first home, and don’t have kids
Why are property taxes funny? I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you under the impression that only homeowners who have children pay property taxes? Because that is not the case at all. (My husband and I don't have kids.) Property taxes will indeed add to your monthly mortgage payment as most mortgage companies collect money from borrowers and hold it in escrow to pay the taxes on your behalf.

Case in point, my monthly mortgage payment, just to cover the principal and interest on the actual home loan, is about $950. But my monthly bill is closer to $1,500 when you factor in the money going into escrow to pay my property taxes every year.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:25 PM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Why are property taxes funny? I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you under the impression that only homeowners who have children pay property taxes? Because that is not the case at all. (My husband and I don't have kids.) Property taxes will indeed add to your monthly mortgage payment as most mortgage companies collect money from borrowers and hold it in escrow to pay the taxes on your behalf.

Case in point, my monthly mortgage payment, just to cover the principal and interest on the actual home loan, is about $950. But my monthly bill is closer to $1,500 when you factor in the money going into escrow to pay my property taxes every year.
I read the OP as saying that property taxes are a difference maker in the decision to live in EOL or Cheltenham. EOL will have significantly lower property taxes than Cheltenham. If one works in the City then EOL will be a considerably cheaper place to live. In other words I think the OP agrees with you.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:57 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,115,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jievbo View Post
Hi everyone,

I’ll be moving into East Oak Lane and living on my own soon and just wanted to ask how long term residents here like the area. How are the crime rates and what kind of crimes are there usually? I’ve been reading that crimes are block to block. Any specific blocks to stay away from? I’ll be closer to Cheltenham Ave, close to the nursing rehab facility. Is it safe to run outside without pepperspray? I’ve been in Philly all my life and don’t live too far away, but am nervous about living on my own for the first time. Any comments about the area are appreciated!

There were 2 shootings, 1 homicide there last year. In a neighborhood of 11k residents, it's homicide rate is 17.

I'd look elsewhere nearby; preferably Cheltenham TWP.

Old 01-03-2022, 01:00 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
There were 2 shootings, 1 homicide there last year. In a neighborhood of 11k residents, it's homicide rate is 17.

I'd look elsewhere nearby; preferably Cheltenham TWP.
I'd say that's low and likely didn't happen on the suburban-like blocks that are a stone's throw from Cheltenham.

Considering they're coming from nearby Olney, they'll be fine.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-03-2022 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia