Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 06:30 AM

463 posts, read 206,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Maybe an uptick in Union Rats too?
Very likely. If Union rats aren't hired to haunt Logan Square, I expect they will set up a gigantic blow up human.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:50 AM

979 posts, read 417,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Yes, all of Center City is perfectly fine. Just be aware of your surroundings as you would be in any city.
Is it?
https://6abc.com/armed-robberies-phi...city/11322665/
Please stop lying to people.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:14 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Is it?
He wasn't lying, but maybe things are starting to (kind of) change. Especially with inflation and the debatable "defund the police" could've had an effect on events like this occurring.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:53 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
He wasn't lying, but maybe things are starting to (kind of) change. Especially with inflation and the debatable "defund the police" could've had an effect on events like this occurring.
Add to that the effects of the pandemic on a disproportionately poor population and desperate people are more likely to take desperate, ill-thought out measures.

Agree with the previous poster to just be aware of your surroundings like any typical large city.

Old 12-11-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Add to that the effects of the pandemic on a disproportionately poor population and desperate people are more likely to take desperate, ill-thought out measures.

Agree with the previous poster to just be aware of your surroundings like any typical large city.
There are plenty of job opportunities. Why aren't these young males sticking guns in people's faces taking advantage of that fact? Stop with the pandemic stupidity. They're robbing because they're being kept out of jail by the DA you voted for and can walk around with their heads covered up and nobody can question it. They know this. Carjackings are out of control, too.

Old 12-11-2021, 03:13 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
There are plenty of job opportunities. Why aren't these young males sticking guns in people's faces taking advantage of that fact? Stop with the pandemic stupidity. They're robbing because they're being kept out of jail by the DA you voted for and can walk around with their heads covered up and nobody can question it. They know this. Carjackings are out of control, too.
The unemployment rate in Philly proper is 7.2%, much higher than 4.2%.
https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.pa_philadelphia_co.htm

One slight advantage the city may have over some of the suburbs is a willingness/requirement to mask in retail establishments where most poorer Philadelphians may have a decent shot at getting hired. Of course, reverse commutes to the suburbs without a car can be variably challenging. So that mitigates what is probably a higher demand out there.

As for the DA race, there was arguably no ideal candidate between Krasner nd Vega in the primary and Krasner and Peruto in the general.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:41 PM

471 posts, read 273,199 times
Quote:
Is it?
Yes, two robberies in a week were big news because they are rare. Did you know in November, Center City averaged 300,000 people per day worth of foot traffic?

What you're doing is like googling "Manhattan robbery" right now and using that to say it's not safe to walk around NYC.

Lastly, if I'm lying, where do you live? I live in Center City and walk around day/night, every single day. I have no motive but to share my perspective and tell the truth, I'm speaking from experience and you're speaking from headlines....

Last edited by JamesJay64; 12-11-2021 at 05:09 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Yes, two robberies in a week were big news because they are rare. Did you know in November, Center City averaged 300,000 people per day worth of foot traffic?

What you're doing is like googling "Manhattan robbery" right now and using that to say it's not safe to walk around NYC.

Lastly, if I'm lying, where do you live? I live in Center City and walk around day/night, every single day. I have no motive but to share my perspective and tell the truth, I'm speaking from experience and you're speaking from headlines....
Ok, you've personally never been a victim of crime in Center City, it's very safe. I know Center City very well, I've spent a lot of time there and I'd never walk around unarmed in the wee hours. And now there's always the threat of something happening during regular hours.

Last edited by henrychen; 12-11-2021 at 07:35 PM..

Old 12-11-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post

As for the DA race, there was arguably no ideal candidate between Krasner nd Vega in the primary and Krasner and Peruto in the general.
That's what you're going with? LOL! The city is getting what it deserves. I'd respect your opinion if you'd just admit you like Krasner and his policies.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:22 AM

471 posts, read 273,199 times
Quote:
Ok, you've personally never been a victim of crime in Center City, it's very safe. I know Center City very well, I've spent a lot of time there and I'd never walk around unarmed in the wee hours. And now there's always the threat of something happening during regular hours.
The OP asked about at night and did not specify if it was going to be the "wee hours." I don't care how much time you've spent here, again - I LIVE HERE. NOW. During ALL hours. I have a large social/professional circle who also has had no bad experiences. Were you ever robbed in Center City? Because again... it sounds like you're basing everything off of headlines, so don't accuse me of lying because I'm not suburb-dwelling conservative who fears cities. And no I didn't "vote for this"... I voted Peruto FYI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia