Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 01:58 PM

471 posts, read 272,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Would you be comfortable walking to Wawa at four in the morning? I'm not all that Conservative, btw. But, yeah there's a lot of doodoo going on in Center City. I've never been robbed, but I've been threatened. I'm quick on my feet, though. But if you feel safe, that's all that matters. I've seen when 'the people' get restless in Center City ... I know Downtown as well as you. If not better.
I wouldn't love to make that walk at 4am as it's about half a mile, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to do it. I'd just walk down Broad until I got to Chestnut. At 4am I'd feel about as good doing it as at 11pm.

And to be clear, I'm not inherently anti-Conservative, or even a registered Democrat. Again, I voted Peruto because he wasn't Krasner and always vote based on the candidate. BUT... it's a pretty safe assumption that the ones blindly hating the city are Conservatives, and you further back that up (and ruin your credibility) by saying "the people".... whatever that's supposed to mean. Your agenda is obvious.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:45 PM

979 posts, read 416,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
I wouldn't love to make that walk at 4am as it's about half a mile, but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to do it. I'd just walk down Broad until I got to Chestnut. At 4am I'd feel about as good doing it as at 11pm.

And to be clear, I'm not inherently anti-Conservative, or even a registered Democrat. Again, I voted Peruto because he wasn't Krasner and always vote based on the candidate. BUT... it's a pretty safe assumption that the ones blindly hating the city are Conservatives, and you further back that up (and ruin your credibility) by saying "the people".... whatever that's supposed to mean. Your agenda is obvious.
Oh, you got me! Whenever I've witnessed crowds getting crazy Downtown, it's always been the same demographic. You apparently know of which demographic I'm referring to ...
Your credibility must also be shot for blindly loving the city. LOL! I never said I hated the city (there's a lot I love about it), but you're assuming anybody that says anything the least bit negative must be a 'hater.' Your agenda is even more obvious. It's a pretty safe assumption the ones blindly loving the city are Liberals ... afraid to admit that most of their policies are embarrassing failures.

Last edited by henrychen; 12-13-2021 at 04:00 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 08:55 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
I never said I hated the city (there's a lot I love about it), but you're assuming anybody that says anything the least bit negative must be a 'hater.'
Well between this and another recent thread, you've suggested that visitors avoid parking in Center City and that newcomers avoid living in Philadelphia entirety. That's more than "the least bit negative". You've also implied that you come into the city armed which IMO is overkill.

Quote:
Your agenda is even more obvious.
Pot, meet kettle.

Quote:
It's a pretty safe assumption the ones blindly loving the city are Liberals...
Well, this isn't exactly Fort Worth ...

Old 12-13-2021, 09:00 PM

It appears that the OP was satisfied with the information they got three days and almost thirty posts ago.

I don't think anyone would deny that crime has increased but people with moderate situational awareness/street smarts will likely avoid trouble, especially parking (presumably) mid-evening in Logan Square.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Well between this and another recent thread, you've suggested that visitors avoid parking in Center City and that newcomers avoid living in Philadelphia entirety. That's more than "the least bit negative". You've also implied that you come into the city armed which IMO is overkill.

You have the wrong poster. (Now you have something to do today)

Old 12-14-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You have the wrong poster.
I retract my allusion to another thread as it turns out I was referring to someone with a similar outlook but was not you. I can concede when I am wrong or misinformed.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:54 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
I retract my allusion to another thread as it turns out I was referring to someone with a similar outlook but was not you.
There is a very common attitude from some former City residents, especially those from the NE (I am a NE native myself and know many of them personally) who felt they had to flee their ancestral home due to social and physical decay. I feel bad for them as they seem deeply hurt and betrayed but the one thing that seems to stir up some possible guilt of having left is their attack on the credibility of anything good happening here, especially things being propagated by transplants. I’m no psychologist but it would be an interesting study for someone to do.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:06 AM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
There is a very common attitude from some former City residents, especially those from the NE (I am a NE native myself and know many of them personally) who felt they had to flee their ancestral home due to social and physical decay. I feel bad for them as they seem deeply hurt and betrayed but the one thing that seems to stir up some possible guilt of having left is their attack on the credibility of anything good happening here, especially things being propagated by transplants. I’m no psychologist but it would be an interesting study for someone to do.
This is totally correct. It's not a mystery why so many of the anti-Philly posters have "insert rando NJ burb" as their location. It's an outward resentment against the city/liberals/minorities/etc. I feel bad for them that they spend so much time and energy on being negative.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
I feel bad for them that they spend so much time and energy on being negative.
If you need to believe that and it makes you feel better about the situation, have at it. Personally, there are things I love about Philly, hate about Philly, and things I no longer have to tolerate. I want to see the city do well, I never claimed I didn't.

Last edited by henrychen; 12-15-2021 at 05:02 AM..

Old 12-15-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Someone should do a study on people who are middle-aged/old cheerleaders that get mad when someone says a negative truth about their big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia