Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 06:00 AM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
I note that you did not respond to my disproving your sentiment that there are “plenty of jobs” for Philadelphians in the city proper.

The percentage of people on this site that voted for Vega and/or Peruto may be higher than average…but you will be hard-pressed to find a person of color who did, particularly the latter.
I voted for Vega (reluctantly, because I do think we need some reform of the criminal justice system; I just don't think we have an effective reformer in charge. The DA still needs to be a partner with the cops, not an adversary. And police reform is a related but separate subject) in the primary and blanked the general.

"The plural of anecdote is not data," but glad to provide a data point for you.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:17 AM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Someone should do a study on people who are middle-aged/old cheerleaders that get mad when someone says a negative truth about their big city.
Warts and all, but at least I still live in it, and in a "bad neighborhood" to boot.

I've seen enough from you to know that you're not full-tilt Negadelphian, but much of the commentary coming from those who comment about crime the way you do seems to me to say that no one in their right mind would live here.

And surely that's far from the case.

Consider this a glass-half-full response to a glass-half-empty comment.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:40 AM

752 posts, read 459,755 times
Quote:
Someone should do a study on people who are middle-aged/old cheerleaders that get mad when someone says a negative truth about their big city.
Meh. There is a difference between a person criticizing the condition of the house in which they formerly lived and the expected reaction of the person still living there. This especially highlighted when the current occupant may be trying to do things, like add landscaping to spruce things up just for you to drive by, scowl, and say “that’s still ugly. My new home is much nicer than your ****-box will ever be. I'm so glad I don't live there anymore.”

I would argue that one party clearly has a bigger psychological hang up than the other.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:02 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Meh. There is a difference between a person criticizing the condition of the house in which they formerly lived and the expected reaction of the person still living there. This especially highlighted when the current occupant may be trying to do things, like add landscaping to spruce things up just for you to drive by, scowl, and say “that’s still ugly. My new home is much nicer than your ****-box will ever be. I'm so glad I don't live there anymore.”

I would argue that one party clearly has a bigger psychological hang up than the other.
This is the best metaphor I've read in a long time, perfectly stated.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:51 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I voted for Vega (reluctantly, because I do think we need some reform of the criminal justice system; I just don't think we have an effective reformer in charge. The DA still needs to be a partner with the cops, not an adversary. And police reform is a related but separate subject) in the primary and blanked the general.

"The plural of anecdote is not data," but glad to provide a data point for you.
I do remember you saying you voted for Vega and I understand your reasons for doing so.

For better or worse, Vega got crushed in the primary and I don't think he got a lot of help from other voters of color.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:26 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
I do remember you saying you voted for Vega and I understand your reasons for doing so.

For better or worse, Vega got crushed in the primary and I don't think he got a lot of help from other voters of color.
People of color voted for Krasner because he hung out with Meek and talked up an "end incarceration" platform.

From a legal perspective, people who are incarcerated are people who commit crimes. Generally, very few people, as a percentage, are in jail and have commiteed no crime. Krasner's voting base is paying a steep price now because that office, as they stated was their intent, is not incarcerating criminals. These people also happen to be shooting up the city at the moment. And it's happening in the neighborhoods that voted this guy in.

It's a mess. Krasner is an arrogant jerk who needs to go asap. Right or wrong, his policies are not a deterrent for crime. Criminals believe that the consequenses are so minor that it's not a consideration. And they're right. Kenney is a clown. Outlaw is a deer in the headlights who has no business running a major east cost city's police force.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
People of color voted for Krasner because he hung out with Meek and talked up an "end incarceration" platform.

From a legal perspective, people who are incarcerated are people who commit crimes. Generally, very few people, as a percentage, are in jail and have commiteed no crime. Krasner's voting base is paying a steep price now because that office, as they stated was their intent, is not incarcerating criminals. These people also happen to be shooting up the city at the moment. And it's happening in the neighborhoods that voted this guy in.

It's a mess. Krasner is an arrogant jerk who needs to go asap. Right or wrong, his policies are not a deterrent for crime. Criminals believe that the consequenses are so minor that it's not a consideration. And they're right. Kenney is a clown. Outlaw is a deer in the headlights who has no business running a major east cost city's police force.
Not to take this thread too far off-topic...but it's my understanding that Krasner gained support from the Black community as he was willing to take on police brutality as well as reduce bail and jail time for petty/nonviolent offenses. I would agree that Krasner has gone too far in lowering the bar to allow criminals who have serious/violent offenses to avoid jail before trial. The problem, from a Black perspective is that there are weren't any (willing) viable alternatives. (That would probably apply to Kenney as well.) In that view, Krasner acts as harm reduction at least from the excesses of law enforcement. Vega, as much as he tried to distance himself, was informally endorsed by the police union which is the kiss of death for Black if not also many Latino Philadelphians. Outlaw may well be overmatched; it may also be that the force didn't take kindly that an insider wasn't promoted to her position instead...or that the choice was a woman.

But I've digressed enough...

Old 12-15-2021, 03:25 PM

979 posts, read 417,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post

Meh. I'm not doing any of that. I'm happy to see neighborhoods improve. BUT, what some of you refuse to acknowledge is that for every neighborhood that's getting better, another is getting worse. Seems some here don't venture out of a Center City/South Philly bubble.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:33 PM

979 posts, read 417,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This is the best metaphor I've read in a long time, perfectly stated.
Will you admit there's a lot of city dwellers who look down their nose at people who live in the 'soulless' suburbs? Do those people have psychological hangups?

Old 12-15-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Meh. I'm not doing any of that. I'm happy to see neighborhoods improve. BUT, what some of you refuse to acknowledge is that for every neighborhood that's getting better, another is getting worse. Seems some here don't venture out of a Center City/South Philly bubble.
I'd expand said "bubble" to include West Philly, specifically from the University City corridor out to 52nd St. Perhaps even "Lower North Philly" although the boundaries between there and Center City are getting fuzzier.

But the original topic is about Logan Square *in Center City* and you advised the OP to avoid parking there at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia