U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 09:01 PM

24 posts, read 84,539 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

A buddy and I are moving to Manayunk at the end of the month and while I try and get everything organized, there were a few things I was wondering about...

*I've currently got a Wachovia account, but in my time spent in Philly, I noticed way more PNC Bank atms. Like everyone else, I HATE surcharges, and especially hate that Wachovia charges an automatic 2 bucks for not using one of their ATMS- It makes using the free WaWa atm's rather pointless. I guess my question is what, if any, banks have ATMs in Manayunk...and would it be worth it to switch to another bank(PNC, or other)?

*I've heard about this bike race that's happening June 8, and I was curious about whether the day of the race is the big deal, or if its the night before when everyone "celebrates." The race is on a Sunday, so it seems to me that Saturday night would be the big party night, but I've really got no idea about this race? Is it all its cracked up to be? Do certain bars run specials or anything?

*Speaking of bars, I was wondering if there were any other pockets of bars around Manayunk other than Main St. The bars on Main St seemed pretty cool, I just didnt know if I was missing out on some other bars in the area. Also, does anyone have any recs on bars to check out? I had a beer at the bayou the other day and a beer at Dereks- and would MUCH rather drink a $1.75 bud light at the bayou than a $4.00 bud light at Dereks. Pitcher's Pub looked like it would have been more my speed- any thoughts on that?

*Old City seemed to have pretty cool nightlife, and beyond that, I may be working a second job at night in Center City. That said, approx. how much is a cab ride from CC to Manayunk? I know the train stops running pretty early so a cab may be my only way home(assuming I don't drive into the city).

*Where are the best eats in Manayunk? Keep in mind that even though I graduated school last year, I still consider myself a poor college kid.

*Any recs for a gym to join? I'm not a gym nut by any means, but I currently belong to Planet Fitness which is only 10 bucks/month so its more than worth it for me. The closest PF to Manayunk is like 30 minutes away, so I was thinking maybe there was another gym close by that was worth checking out. I know I won't find another 10/month gym, but its also not worth it for me to spend 50/month on a gym either. I may end up making the drive to PF I guess.

*This one's kind of a crapshoot, but I'm trying to estimate my expenses and I'm curious what people in the area pay for utilities. I know it varies, but its helpful just to get a ballpark estimate. My apt is pretty small and its on the first floor if that makes any difference.

That's about it I guess. Believe it or not, I actually have done a ton of homework regarding my move, but a lot of this stuff is things that were tricky to look up without just asking someone who knew. Big thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out with any of that. Feel free to include tips or advice that I didn't ask about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 11:47 AM

160 posts, read 740,559 times
Ok, well let me see how many of your questions I can answer.

1.As for Wachovia banks, I know there are a few PNC banks in the area, but most people I know use Commerce Bank and there are many of them all over. That might be the branch you would want to change to, but I'm sure if you search Wachovia locations
there would be one nearby, though I don't know where.
2.I know nothing about the bike race
3.The bar scene,I'm not all that familiar either but Kildaire's has good specials and live music on Friday and Saturdays. Also, Bourbon Blue is really nice with live music on the weekends. There's also Cjs which is a popular spot which I think is on Shurs Lane. For a mixed crowd check out Grape Street for some local talent if you're interested. Also, I've never been to the Ugly Moose but it's popular.
4. To get to Old City from where you are should only take about 15-20min without traffic. I live in Mt Airy which is not too far from you and I work in Bala Cynwyd, so I drive into CC all the time. You will be right by 76E and you can take it right into old city so I would assume a cab ride would be of equal time, though I don't know the cost, however it would be less than 10mi I think,so somewhere around $25 I'm guessing. You might as well drive in to the city and just pay for parking rather than paying cab fare both ways. If there's no DD than I guess a cab would be you're only option though.
5. Eating in manayunk I don't find to be cheap, but you are so close to plymouth meeting that you might as well drive up the ridge and there will be tons of places to get food(subway, panera, wawa,outback,etc.) you're about 10-15minutes from plymouth meeting mall area. In Roxborough there's an andorra shopping center where there's applebees and moe's mexican something. Starbucks on Main st in Manayunk and an indian restaurant that's moderatley priced that I like. Also Kildaires is moderate. There's Chabba Thai that's good, but slightly pricey, though less than Derek's. Next to the theater there's a diner place which is cheap.
6. As for gyms, LA Fitness might be the best choice. There's one in Andorra shopping center not far from Manayunk and one in Bala Cynwyd which is close as well. I think a regular membership is about $35-35/month. I have never heard of a $10/month gym, but both of those gyms are very clean and nice with plenty of equipment,pool and classes.
7. I live in a 2 bedroom twin home so I assume your utilities will be less than mine, but it depends on what's included in your rent. My water bill is less than $20/month. Gas is much more, avg $250 in the winter but right now only $60. Electric runs about $75-$125 which is much easier for you to control. In general, electric is cheaper than gas I have found, so if you're concerned about the gas prices, get spaceheaters and run up the electric instead of the gas. But be careful, when it's below freezing you have to turn your gas on or else you can ruin the pipes. However, since you're just in a 1 bedroom I think you're heating bill would be somewhere around $150 for gas in the winter. Just think about always turning off lights, keeping the heat on the lowest setting you can stand and never leave water running to keep your total utilities costs under $300.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 AM

24 posts, read 84,539 times
Thanks for all the help man. Lots of good info

Old 05-20-2008, 11:36 AM

5,673 posts, read 10,245,988 times
I haven't been to it in a couple of years, but the bike race was huge the day of the race, with thousands of people lining the streets of the course and numerous parties. The race itself has lost a little luster since it's no longer a championship race, so I don't know if that has affected the atmosphere at all.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:34 PM

24 posts, read 116,056 times
I'm sure there's a Wachovia around, they're ubiquitous in the area.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,279 times
Default bike race

The bike race is the most unbelievable even i have ever witnessed. The entire town gets shut down, parking is nearly impossible to find, the partying goes on saturday as well as sunday. Every single person you see will be drinking no matter what, and it starts at 7am. not only that, but there is also the most prestigious bike race in the united states thrown in. Cops fly by on motorcycles to clear the path of drunk people for the riders, who are followed by more motorcycles with cameras and mini coopers with extra wheels in the event of a flat. Honestly, buy your beer, park your car and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia