Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 02:45 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Didn't take long for the insults. Interesting coming from someone from Montgomery County. I like Bucks County a lot, too.
And guess what - I like South Jersey. It’s an under-rated place, bizarrely disliked by the Northern part of its state. I just don’t understand the concept of being so bitter toward the city that you start threads (and hijack existing threads) just to complain.

Could the city be run better? Absolutely. But look at how you started this thread; you really shouldn’t be complaining about my dumb and basically tongue-in-cheek insults.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM

979 posts, read 417,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
And guess what - I like South Jersey. It’s an under-rated place, bizarrely disliked by the Northern part of its state. I just don’t understand the concept of being so bitter toward the city that you start threads (and hijack existing threads) just to complain.

Could the city be run better? Absolutely. But look at how you started this thread; you really shouldn’t be complaining about my dumb and basically tongue-in-cheek insults.
I'm so bitter towards the city it keeps me up most nights. The hate is real.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:50 PM

9,332 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
I'm so bitter towards the city it keeps me up most nights. The hate is real.
Ice cream from Leo’s Yum Yum should make it all better.

Old 01-12-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Ice cream from Leo’s Yum Yum should make it all better.
I heard good things about them, but I have Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia in the freezer.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I heard good things about them, but I have Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia in the freezer.
It’s right down Evesham Road. You’re really missing out. I like Ben and Jerry’s well enough, but this is top shelf stuff. Never mind that it’s probably run by the Mafia.

Old 01-12-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTransplant20 View Post
What’s with all the trash everywhere? Filthadelphia
C’mon, you can be more original than that.

Old 01-12-2022, 06:07 PM

14,172 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Good bar, good neighborhood. One of the best in the city, if not the best.
Agreed; I've never had a bad experience going into or meeting people at Mac's, though if I can, I'll meet them at the Pen & Pencil Club instead.

But you need to get that positivity stuff out of this thread. Remember, we're supposed to all be trashing this city here.

However: in a later post, you say that your hatred keeps you up at night. I hate to say this, but that sounds like you need to get something checked out.* That, or move to another metropolitan area completely. May I suggest Chicago?

Quote:
Merely living in a suburban county doth not a Negadelphian make. (All too) many Negadelphians live in the City, too.
One of the things I found mildly amusing once I learned about this were the Northeast Philadelphians who bragged about never setting foot in Center City as though that were a badge of honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Oh I used to see him all over Old City. Gaslight. Race street (he lives right on that block and was in there often), The Plough, rottens.

I've told this story before but ....My wife and I go into Rotten Ralphs on xmas. They used to truly be rotten in there and it was hilarious especially on xmas. We walk in and there's jimmy boy hanging by himself with 3 cell phones infront of him. So we sit down and start to chat - introduce ourselves for the 25th time (never trust a guy who NEVER remembers you). After an hour or two, we leave and I go to pay his bill as a nice citizen, ya know.

Effing bill was 180 bux. That bastard was there for 6 hours they told me and they bought him a bunch of drinks as well.

D bag.
I don't know whether you went there this Christmas or not, but the place is not as rotten as it used to be, though they still love to pun off their name.

I had lunch there with my döppelganger, the publisher of the Philadelphia Business Journal, back in late November; I wanted to mess with the head of the new head chef there, who is a friend of mine of some years' standing. (PBJ's publisher, a gentlemanly white guy from Virginia who American City Business Journals brought up from Washington to run their Philadelphia operation, and I have the same name, though my first name is his middle name in fact — he doesn't use his first name professionally. We have been confused for each other at events each of us have attended, though no one who has seen either my photo or his should make that mistake.). The menu now boasts two signature dishes, one bearing the chef's first name and the other mine. (But I don't think my friend named that other dish for me.)

Unfortunately for me, the day we had lunch was his day off from the kitchen.

Back to you, though: Yeah, that was really scuzzy of him. Guess he is used to depending on the kindness of strangers.

*Edited to add: Actually, it also reminds me of a good one-liner from Laurie Anderson:

"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die."

Old 01-12-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
C’mon, you can be more original than that.
It has nothing to do with being original or not - in general, Philly is filthy. Parts of South Philly are a disgrace (to people who care about that sort of thing). Yes, property values are high, but still, it's sadly an accepted part of the culture.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

But you need to get that positivity stuff out of this thread. Remember, we're supposed to all be trashing this city here.
The cheerleading squad
isn't even supposed to be here. But, as I predicted, y'all couldn't help yourselves. The conversation will go where it goes.

Last edited by henrychen; 01-12-2022 at 08:39 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 09:34 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Kenney is not a good Mayor.

I voted for him. And liked him when he ran. I thought he represented Philadelphia.

But he is not a fan of being a public servant. I have been disappointed with his leadership.

Most of City Council is also disappointing. I cannot say I am a fan of Darrell Clark either. He only thinks of himself. He has a highly gerrymandered district and he is very corrupt.

I wish Nutter was mayor. Rendell also was fantastic.

Also this thread is nothing but trolling.

There are constructive ways you can discuss the issues facing the city without the trolling language the OP used.

I do think Allan Domb would be a good mayor. He is very humble and he sees through the lenses of all people while still trying to push the city forward. And he is not afraid of getting on stage.

Kenney loves being the Mayor of his local Irish Pub, but I cannot say of a city of 1.6 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia