Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2022, 08:00 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
8 common traffic violations don’t warrant a police stop in Philly starting today

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20220303.html

"Philadelphia’s Driving Equality Law went into effect Thursday, banning police traffic stops for low-level offenses such as broken tail lights and outdated registrations."

"Under the law, drivers can no longer be stopped for:
• Vehicle registrations expired for 60 days or less
• Temporary registration permits that are in the wrong location, but otherwise clearly displayed in the rear window
• Unfastened registration plates, as long as they are still visible
• A single brake or headlight out
• Other obstructions, like rearview mirror decorations
• Minor bumper damage
• Operation of Vehicle Without Official Certificate of Inspection.
• Unlawful Operation Without Evidence of Emission Inspection
Drivers may still receive a secondary-offense ticket for any of the listed violations if they’re pulled over for a separate, primary offense like dangerous driving."

"The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 5, the local police union, last month sued the city over the new law."

"FOP President John McNesby said the law “makes the city less safe.” He also pushed back on data showing that Black drivers have been affected more by traffic stops.
“We don’t go out and say, ‘Oh, let’s go stop seven Black drivers today, or seven Asian drivers, or seven white drivers,’” he said. “We go out there to stop illegal cars. That’s what we’re trained to do.”"
Sweet. I just realized that my registration is expired. Looks like I don't need to renew it.

Cha-ching!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 08:44 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Sweet. I just realized that my registration is expired. Looks like I don't need to renew it.

Cha-ching!

Before you get too excited about that one, don't forget the PPA writes most of those tickets lol..

I'm not a fan of that bill though at all. We will see what happens.

Old 03-04-2022, 10:35 AM

840 posts, read 693,576 times
What hogwash, "disinvestment" doesnt lead you to be so sub human that you shoot down people over nothing. But keep making excuses, its working great

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
From The NY Times article:

“Without changing these physical spaces in which crime occurs, violence-prevention efforts are incomplete. A focused and sustained investment in high-risk places should be a cornerstone in the effort to create safer and healthier communities.”

The author doesn’t put the onus on neighborhood residents so much as other resources coming in. Perhaps the city could help - with state/federal dollars - by hiring people from said neighborhoods to do much of the work.

I also note that the article acknowledges the structural racism and economic decline that preceded current conditions.

“In large cities, a small number of streets account for an outsize number of violent crimes. Those streets are usually in segregated Black neighborhoods that, because of structural racism, have suffered from decades of disinvestment and physical and economic decline.”

Old 03-11-2022, 06:48 AM

17 posts, read 13,194 times
I’m sorry but this last incident in Philly has swayed me, I’m done with the crime in this city. To hell with these animals, celebration Fl here i come

Old 03-11-2022, 08:25 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,966 times
Which incident?

Old 03-15-2022, 03:58 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
Exactly.

Why this fairly self-evident concept is so difficult for so many at the extremes of the right and left to comprehend (mostly white people who have the luxury of taking respectful and courteous police response largely as a given) never ceases to leave me shaking my head.
....But they all want protection and security in their communities. Because of course.
(i go to Philly twice a year---because no one else in my company will go. Part of what makes me valuable is no-fear factor)

There's a Paradox in Black Neighborhoods that crosses state lines...'Blacks want respect but few (if any) will work with the police to help them with the Bad Element in Black neighborhoods.'

Few if any cops want to work Black neighborhoods...why should they? (no one likes them and often they are shot at). NOW, Con-Artists look for Cops in Black neighborhoods to shoot one of their own, so the Race Hustlers can make $millions off the city and push it 'further into a hole' and apocalypse.

It all begins with Values...what one Values...

'Give-me, Get me, can you Spare Me'...poverty mentality fosters life long dependency.
Opportunities begin with Math, English and 2nd Language. From there, all things are possible...

Preach that in the hood and see how 'many elections' you win....

Old 03-15-2022, 04:18 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,628 times
Really, someone from Florida says no one else will go to Philly because they are scared? Florida? Florida? Florida? Do you coworkers avoid half your own state?

Old 03-15-2022, 04:20 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
(i go to Philly twice a year---because no one else in my company will go. Part of what makes me valuable is no-fear factor)

There's a Paradox in Black Neighborhoods that crosses state lines...'Blacks want respect but few (if any) will work with the police to help them with the Bad Element in Black neighborhoods.'

Few if any cops want to work Black neighborhoods...why should they? (no one likes them and often they are shot at). NOW, Con-Artists look for Cops in Black neighborhoods to shoot one of their own, so the Race Hustlers can make $millions off the city and push it 'further into a hole' and apocalypse.

It all begins with Values...what one Values...

'Give-me, Get me, can you Spare Me'...poverty mentality fosters life long dependency.
Opportunities begin with Math, English and 2nd Language. From there, all things are possible...

Preach that in the hood and see how 'many elections' you win....
Sounds like you've chosen one side of the chicken vs. egg debate, coming to the conclusion that Black Philadelphians in struggling neighborhoods - compared to those in decent-to-good majority Black neighborhoods - came up with their distrust and disdain of police in a vacuum. If you're not from here then the name Frank Rizzo may not ring a bell. Perhaps you're not aware of the MOVE bombing in 1985. And that's before getting into how Black Philadelphians were regarded before the Civil Rights Act began to shift things in a different direction.

I'll spare a repeat of my other points earlier in this thread...but suffice it to say that Black and Brown Philadelphians weren't and often still aren't held in high regard when they endeavor(ed) to do the right thing.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:20 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Before you get too excited about that one, don't forget the PPA writes most of those tickets lol..

I'm not a fan of that bill though at all. We will see what happens.
If I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum thought it meant you cannot get tickets for the above listed...I could retire. I hope all these people park their car with expired registration and inspection right in front of city hall, and keep it there. We will end up with fully funded city pensions.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:24 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Really, someone from Florida says no one else will go to Philly because they are scared? Florida? Florida? Florida? Do you coworkers avoid half your own state?

As a native from my State, i grew up in Miami. I know bad crime areas.

While Miami has a lot of crime, Philadelphia has a bad reputation and no glitter. Miami is known as a Glitz Town, but Philly is known for Cheese-steak.

AND YES, Philly gets lots of bad press...even as far as down here~

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia