U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:12 PM

15 posts, read 29,320 times

Advertisements

Wow, as a new coming looking for potential house buying information about Tacony (and NE Philly in general) this thread was certainly an eye opener. It's given me a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 31,472 times
Im thinking of moving to tacony also. Im planning on renting, Do you know any of the names or companies that you guys said are absentee landlords so i can avoid them

Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 155,969 times
For starters, I'd say to look for signs with a 215 area code as the contact number. This implies local management...sometimes a "professonal" management company isn't always so professional. Out of town landlords have historically been the most irresponsible. Looking for signs requires you to do your own recognizance - see the potential home for yourself - and get a feel for the part of Tacony in which you'd like to live. There are still many good areas and just a couple pockets I'd stay away from, so driving/walking around seems the best way to go in my opinion. This Saturday there's an event from 12 till 3:30 at Tacony Library (Torresdale and Knorr) where trolley tours of the neighborhood will be given. This seems a good opportunity to check out the neighborhood and its associations for yourself.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:13 PM

219 posts, read 582,452 times
I appreciate Tacony 4 Life's optimist- if everyone in the neighborhood had that type of attitude, then those 'sketchy blocks' wouldnt exist. I agree that Tacony, although perhaps on the frontier of blight and white flight in the Northeast, serves as a pretty stable barrier, with Harbison as a good western boundary (although some people might call that Wissinoming). Also, it's quite an interesting fact that when Pennsylvania released its school rankings, the top school in the state (better than the suburbs, or Pittburgh's suburbs for that matter) was Planet Abacus Charter in Tacony. Sure, it might be a charter, but it shows that there are enough middle-class households to keep Tacony vibrant!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
I appreciate Tacony 4 Life's optimist- if everyone in the neighborhood had that type of attitude, then those 'sketchy blocks' wouldnt exist. I agree that Tacony, although perhaps on the frontier of blight and white flight in the Northeast, serves as a pretty stable barrier, with Harbison as a good western boundary (although some people might call that Wissinoming). Also, it's quite an interesting fact that when Pennsylvania released its school rankings, the top school in the state (better than the suburbs, or Pittburgh's suburbs for that matter) was Planet Abacus Charter in Tacony. Sure, it might be a charter, but it shows that there are enough middle-class households to keep Tacony vibrant!

We had that attitude.. But we still bailed on Philly. Its just not the same as it was years ago.. sadly, a great attitude ain't gonna change the neighborhood. The good, hard working people of Philly are leaving.. in droves.. The quality of life is declining.. We were miserable and hating it.. And I don't ever see it go back to what it was 25 years ago.. Wish ya luck guys...

Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 AM

10 posts, read 155,969 times
Such a broad brush statement about living in Philadelphia just doesn't apply anymore. The 2010 census bears that out. Wasn't there an increase in the city's population? Wait until you see the 2020 numbers. As time goes on more and more will appreciate walkable communities in reasonably close proximity to Center City, Olde City, etc... Tacony is positioning itself well for the future. Its new firehouse will be the city's first LEED certified "green" municipal building...river trails and a 5-acre park at Lardner's Point are being developed...its aggressive community groups have at least kept the area stable as private investment has finally begun to take hold. To add to PennKid's comment, it is also notable that another highly-regarded school, Tacony Academy Charter, will be opening a Kindergarten to 12th grade campus in the neighborhood. Right now they are in temporary quarters in Rhawnhurst. This will certainly bring some measure of new families to the community.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:47 AM

like I said.. Good luck.. Center city is on an upswing but the NE is dying.. a slow death,.. The only reason the population *may* be up is from the section 8's popping out kids .. he hard working decent familys are leaving the NE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacony 4 life View Post
Such a broad brush statement about living in Philadelphia just doesn't apply anymore. The 2010 census bears that out. Wasn't there an increase in the city's population? Wait until you see the 2020 numbers. As time goes on more and more will appreciate walkable communities in reasonably close proximity to Center City, Olde City, etc... Tacony is positioning itself well for the future. Its new firehouse will be the city's first LEED certified "green" municipal building...river trails and a 5-acre park at Lardner's Point are being developed...its aggressive community groups have at least kept the area stable as private investment has finally begun to take hold. To add to PennKid's comment, it is also notable that another highly-regarded school, Tacony Academy Charter, will be opening a Kindergarten to 12th grade campus in the neighborhood. Right now they are in temporary quarters in Rhawnhurst. This will certainly bring some measure of new families to the community.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:29 AM

That may have been a little harsh... Did not mean anything bad by that and maybe I could have said it in a nicer way..

Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,497 times
Default Problem Houses

I am inspired to write you this thread after viewing a comment ... a few days ago reguarding a comment posted by a long time resident of Tacony, as am I am a resident of the 6800 Vandike street, since 1977. The property in reference is: XXXXKnorr street. Though it is not the only house that is troubled it certainly has an impact with crime in our area.This property I'm sure is on your watch list for years. First, over the years numerious fights and drug activity have taken place. There have been calls made to the police reguarding situations.The house is a flop house for drug addicts and know residents are responsible for much of the crime in the area including property theft, vandalism and drug activity, This house is not kept up by any standard with high hedges,in front to shield activity. Drug users inject heroin and smoke crack in open air on the front porch. Prostitutes are allowed to have sex with thier johns behind the hedges or in the alley, with no regard to the quality of life of our blocks. In fact several neighbors have contacted the 15th district, we are being told to contact the news.Over the years we neighbors confronted the home owners who reside on the premise about the situations, only to be told many excuses,and feel sorry for the occupants that live in the house. With no solution rendered. Results in further declination over time. When Joan Krusinski ran clip it was mandated that our properties be kept. The home owners are responsible for much of the drug activity in the neighborhood and many of thier drug dealer who transact on and near the property. One thing for certain there is always alot of trouble. When thier children were young years ago they accounted for much of the vandalism nearby, with little respect for anyone. I will make serveral more telepone calls to clip reguarding the upkeep of the house, trash removal, cutting down some of the sheltering hedges.Those who know this house should do the same.[/FONT]

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-19-2012 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: competing site/privacy issue

Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 AM

1,616 posts, read 3,323,286 times
Tacony has never been thought of as a dangerous ghetto. The police presence has been cut and cops are being sent to more dangerous areas for that reason. Because of the downsized police presence Tacony is now a mecca for drug deals. Hopefully, the economy will start to recover and the city will pay for more police in Tacony thus driving out the drug dealers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia