Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 09:49 AM

25 posts, read 67,756 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be returning to the Philadelphia region, a born native coming home after finding nowhere to improve upon my home region. I'm looking to find towns that would fit me the best.

I'm looking within a 30 mile radius of philly, preferably 20 if possible, including new jersey.

Musts:

Older architecture in some parts of town, especially gingerbread victorian and well maintained craftsman.

Green space, parks, trees

McMansions BAD

sense of community and neighborliness

at least moderately liberal (lgbt friendlier)

Would be nice:

water (rivers, lakes, ponds, etc...)

some diversity of race and religion

lack of pretentiousness

College or university nearby

some large lots ( acre +) some small lots closer to town center.

Extra touches:

stone bridges
gas street lamps
main st. feeling

Towns that I've found I enjoy elsewhere: Berkeley CA (Rockridge), South Orange/Maplewood NJ, State College PA, San Francisco

Work commute is a non-issue (work around the region-selfemployed)
Cost of a home: ~300-700 but this is not the primary concern

Thank you all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:35 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
Ah State College. One of these days, I will own a home there and just enjoy being.

Anway the closest I've seen to that around here is Swarthmore/Wallingford. Some of the old homes may be in need of some repairs - apparently highly educated liberals aren't handymen and women, surprise, surprise. But you will find something you love. Rose Valley has a strong Arts and Crafts history - there is a new development of Arts and Crafts inspired carriage homes on a large tract of land...very tastefully done, first development in that area in years and years, I'd live there if they were singles. Wallingford was voted 9th Best Place to Live last year by Money Magazine - focus was on smaller, hometown feeling places.

West Goshen in West Chester, also made the list...this may fit the bill as well but I haven't seen near the housing stock as in Swarthmore and Wallingford.

Taxes in Swarthmore/Wallingford (Nether Providence)/Rose Valley can be up to $12K a year depending on house size and section of town its in. That's the only real dowside to this area, 'cept being so close to the city you have the usual second ring suburb congestion issues at rush hour.

Wayne also has a small section of great old homes, heck further down the Main Line by Villanova, Gladwyne, Rosemont, Lower Merion do as well but the prices skyrocket and the snob factor is out of control.

In New Jersey Collingswood has had a gay renaissance recently, not sure how the business district is faring as I know there were some issues on that regard, but otherwise that area may also be worth checking out.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
Riverton NJ has the water, victorians, open space, no McMansions.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:33 PM

691 posts, read 3,059,709 times
Check out Collingswood, NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia