U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 04:44 AM

16 posts, read 91,902 times

Advertisements

I will be calling on a customer in Malvern about once a week and would like some feedback on where to live.

We are a family of three with a 5 year old daughter. We would like to spend around $300,000 for a 4 bedroom house so it seems that Malvern is out. We want the same things everyone else wants, low crime, good schools etc. A real downtown with resturants, movies etc. would be nice

We love the water. North East seems nice but not too kid friendly and a little rural for our tastes. I love Cape May but it's too far as is the rest of the Jersey coast.

Does anybody have any thoughts on Chesepeake city/ Bear area. How about NJ about half way between Philly and the shore.

Any nice towns like Malvern that are cheaper.

Thanks, Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 04:54 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,324 times
We live in Cherry Hill, NJ (which is about 9 miles outside Philly) and my husband commutes to Malvern to work every day. His commute is a nightmare (about 1.5 hours each way during rush hour).

So I guess my question is....what hours would you be driving to Malvern (would it be during rush hour or at other times?) and what is the max length of time (commute) you can tolerate?

Old 05-24-2008, 05:29 AM

97 posts, read 514,495 times
Hi, Joe.

My husband does Malvern in under an hour if he gets in the car by 6:30 am. He went once or twice a week for a long time, and said it wasn't bad...usually. Unless there was an accident on the Turnpike. Then he had to take alternate routes.

It takes us under an hour to get to the shore taking 195.

There are 4/2's for $300k or less in lower Bucks County. Feasterville, Trevose, Bensalem and Fairless Hills may not be 'as nice' as Malvern, but they're affordable. These towns are in either Neshaminy or Pennsbury school districts.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
We live in Cherry Hill, NJ (which is about 9 miles outside Philly) and my husband commutes to Malvern to work every day. His commute is a nightmare (about 1.5 hours each way during rush hour).

So I guess my question is....what hours would you be driving to Malvern (would it be during rush hour or at other times?) and what is the max length of time (commute) you can tolerate?
My guess is that I would only go to Malvern once a week and could avoid rush hour. So my 1 hour limit would be without traffice. Is there any reason (besides being closer to the shore to live in NJ and drive through Philly rather than live in PA?

Old 05-24-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_in_Pa View Post
Hi, Joe.

My husband does Malvern in under an hour if he gets in the car by 6:30 am. He went once or twice a week for a long time, and said it wasn't bad...usually. Unless there was an accident on the Turnpike. Then he had to take alternate routes.

It takes us under an hour to get to the shore taking 195.

There are 4/2's for $300k or less in lower Bucks County. Feasterville, Trevose, Bensalem and Fairless Hills may not be 'as nice' as Malvern, but they're affordable. These towns are in either Neshaminy or Pennsbury school districts.
Where do you live Pat? Do you like it?
Currently we live in a subdivision with a common pool, clubhouse etc. any communities like that you could recommend?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:58 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
I would drop that requirement to 3 bedrooms and things should open up pretty dramatically.

You could look at West Chester, Downingtown schools, Rose Tree Media and Wallingford-Swarthmore schools as well. In Jersey, check out Swedesboro for newer homes. I think Haddon Heights and Cherry Hill maybe Cinnaminson have good schools but I personally would rather live in PA if I can't live down the shore.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Joe

You could get to Malvern in an hour from the Cherry Hill area if you did not go during rush hour. Advantages to NJ (with some particulars about Cherry Hill):

-Generally speaking, you can get more house for the money in southern NJ than in the PA suburbs when comparing comparable quality areas. You could definitely get a 4 bedroom house for $300K in Cherry Hill, for example whereas you would be hard pressed to get a nice 4-bedroom house in a good area with good schools in the PA suburbs for that price.

- NJ has great schools. Cherry Hill (where I live) is known for their great schools.

- The shopping is outstanding in the Cherry Hill area.

- I have found my commute to Philadelphia is easier and more convenient than it is for my coworkers who live in the PA suburbs. Many of them complain of horrific drives or have to rely on SEPTA which, while generally good, is not as efficient and reliable as PATCO (which is the train that runs from NJ into Philadelphia) and tends to have more problems/breakdowns.

- NJ has cheaper gas prices (usually about $.20 cheaper a gallon) and cheaper prices on groceries.

The downside? Our property taxes are high - although I have found from researching the PA suburbs that many of them have property taxes about as high as what we are paying in NJ. I am currently looking to leave NJ because of the property taxes and I while I am able to find some areas in the PA Philly burbs with lower taxes, it's not a given.

You may also want to consider these NJ towns (in Camden County, not far from Cherry Hill)

Haddon Heights
Haddon Township

These are nice areas where you could definitely get a 4 bedroom house for $300K.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:02 PM

97 posts, read 514,495 times
Hi, Joe:

Usually, developments similar to the one you've described would be in Newtown or Lower Makefield. You'd need to watch for a bank owned property to get a SFH at that price in those towns (You could definitely get a townhome. http://tinyurl.com/6qnb8e (broken link) in one of the better school districts.)

Go to kw dot com and search for zip 19067, then new search, and then search by school district...Council Rock, Pennsbury and Neshaminy.

Here's one kind of odd-ball expanded example in Fairless Hills that is a few streets away from a nice community pool. Fairless Hills was originally a large housing tract/development built for the US Steel workers.
Real Estate (http://tinyurl.com/5de9ye - broken link)

Old 05-26-2008, 07:56 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
From what I've gleaned briefly looking at school info: the area around Malvern has schools on par or better than a good part of Jersey. Jersey has higher income tax and property taxes, and housing prices in the more desirable areas.

I can tell you you don't want any part of a Cherry Hill to Malvern commute up and down the Schuylkill, regardless of time of day, etc.

Jersey is definitely more crowded/more tract homes etc close to Philly while PA you have to go further out for that.

It seems more people like PA and are looking to leave NJ, like Sassy for one. Take that for what its worth.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 AM

I'm leaving NJ for because of property taxes only. I LOVE Cherry Hill and New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or