Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 01:55 PM

463 posts, read 208,690 times

Advertisements

The Philadelphia area certainly generates enough revenue to financially support the state, and certainly more than the rural counties. However it does make me shake my head when I see that we had these built in china. We are shipping all of our wealth overseas to a country that is ultimately our great opponent. I do relate to what the poster above says when he or she states that they should be built here in pennsylvania. Wouldn't that be a boon to our success? Paying our neighbors a fair wage to build something for ourselves?

Nevertheless, that's not what this is about. The train cars do look beautiful. I'd be interested to ride one when they arrive. I'd also be interested in some pictures of the interior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 03:29 PM

5,308 posts, read 6,231,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephill63849180
The Philadelphia area certainly generates enough revenue to financially support the state, and certainly more than the rural counties. However it does make me shake my head when I see that we had these built in china. We are shipping all of our wealth overseas to a country that is ultimately our great opponent. I do relate to what the poster above says when he or she states that they should be built here in pennsylvania. Wouldn't that be a boon to our success? Paying our neighbors a fair wage to build something for ourselves?

Nevertheless, that's not what this is about. The train cars do look beautiful. I'd be interested to ride one when they arrive. I'd also be interested in some pictures of the interior.

The intention of my previous post was to denounce the unfortunate fact that Septa found it necessary to buy these cars from the PRC and that there are no American companies in the passenger rail car manufacturing business. The Philly fanatics who inhabit this forum then went into a tizzy over the PA paupers in the hinterlands whom the fanatics claim they have to support.

Those posts illustrate the mindset of the Philly people. Having lived in Montco in the late 70s, there I developed a dislike for the Philly folks. They display an arrogance and an attitude that makes you want to go far away from them.

Old 07-23-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The intention of my previous post was to denounce the unfortunate fact that Septa found it necessary to buy these cars from the PRC and that there are no American companies in the passenger rail car manufacturing business. The Philly fanatics who inhabit this forum then went into a tizzy over the PA paupers in the hinterlands whom the fanatics claim they have to support.

Those posts illustrate the mindset of the Philly people. Having lived in Montco in the late 70s, there I developed a dislike for the Philly folks. They display an arrogance and an attitude that makes you want to go far away from them.
I completely agree with you on the fact that these are being built in China. Our free trade agreements have successfully bankrupted this country and it's outrageous that we continue to give more business to China.

Regarding the other points, you came in to throw stones because you don't like Philly people, and I have no allegiance either way, but you shouldn't be surprised that people came back at you because of it.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:46 PM

385 posts, read 403,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post

There is going to be about four (4) pilot cars being shipped i think in the coming weeks for testing and what not. They will have seating like the Silverliner V's. Blue seats. These cars will feature USB Charging ports, I heard possible bathrooms (but will be locked off) not sure how true it is. I cant wait for them to enter service either.

As to everyone wondering why they are being built in China. Federal Law requires transit authorities using their money to comply with the "Buy America Act" which means they have to go with the lowest bidder. The title plucks my spirit because you automatically think they are being made in the states but they aren't. Though there are parts that is from the states being assembled here on the cars. No one in the United States makes railcars anymore so that's why a company from China or Germany however would / will get a contract.

Old 07-23-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
There is going to be about four (4) pilot cars being shipped i think in the coming weeks for testing and what not. They will have seating like the Silverliner V's. Blue seats. These cars will feature USB Charging ports, I heard possible bathrooms (but will be locked off) not sure how true it is. I cant wait for them to enter service either.

As to everyone wondering why they are being built in China. Federal Law requires transit authorities using their money to comply with the "Buy America Act" which means they have to go with the lowest bidder. The title plucks my spirit because you automatically think they are being made in the states but they aren't. Though there are parts that is from the states being assembled here on the cars. No one in the United States makes railcars anymore so that's why a company from China or Germany however would / will get a contract.
That's because the trade agreements cut tariffs so that foreign manufacturers can undercut American builders that have higher labor costs. The joy of slave labor.

Old 07-23-2022, 07:46 PM

2,215 posts, read 5,109,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

I agree with your first sentence. But then you go into your anti-Philadelphia ravings… every single time. You don’t need to throw stones… every single time. BTW; most of your anti-Philly posts come across as, I don’t know, arrogant and attitudinal… every single time.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 433 times
What is the source of the photo that isn’t in the PhillyVoice article and shows the front of the double decker car? Where did that come from?

Old 07-24-2022, 10:03 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,553,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaach8 View Post
What is the source of the photo that isn’t in the PhillyVoice article and shows the front of the double decker car? Where did that come from?

It looks like 'Beijing Youth Daily' is a newspaper in China and they were the ones who published the photos and story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing_Youth_Daily

Old 07-25-2022, 12:51 AM

385 posts, read 403,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaach8 View Post
I found it on Twitter. Someone in the plant must've taken the photo and put it on a flyer or some sort.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:57 AM

3,979 posts, read 5,810,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Surely you are aware that a county such as Montgomery, where you and I live, has been historically wealthy for years due to Philadelphia? Please don’t act like the four collar counties are simply a random bastion of wealth surrounding a poor city… the five counties of this region go hand in hand.

Much of Philadelphia proper's housing stock outside of rich areas like Chestnut Hill and Roxborough looks very working class. Boston has its triple deckers while Philly has an assortment of attached townhomes and duplexes, many rough and worn but all packed closely together and obviously designed to house workers. I wondered where the bosses lived and it did not take long to guess correctly - the suburbs of course.

I digress however. This thread caught my eye because it is about public transportation. In today's global society, it is hard to bring back the good old days of American manufacturing even though we all so want it back. I am not anymore happy or unhappy than the next fellow American that our public transit vehicles have to be ordered from a company headquartered abroad be it China, Japan, or Italy, but at least we ought to be grateful that we have any railroad and transit vehicles at all. CRRC is also manufacturing our new Orange and Red Line trains but they are assembling the components at a plant in Springfield, MA. I do not know if SEPTA's vehicles are also being assembled at that plant or elsewhere in the US but at least in our case, fellow Americans have jobs at the Springfield plant (Springfield btw was a long downtrodden has-been city like Allentown, PA or Camden, NJ) so it's not all bad. Yeah Pullman Standard and Budd made cars that lasted in the past and we sorely miss them but let's at least be grateful for what we have at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia