Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 10:27 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,732,206 times

Advertisements

Old City, Passyunk, other nightlife hubs feel almost back to a pre-pandemic vibe. But South Street, especially the few block radius area around 3rd, feels way sketchier. Open air drug deals, more strungout homeless people, the bars on the weekdays especially seem to have a sketchier crowd. Lots of cars slow-rollin’. I was there last in 2019 and I dont remember South Street being that sketchy. Sure, lots lf drunken frat boys and douchbags on the weekends, but they are more annoying than full on sketchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 07:35 AM

1,705 posts, read 985,622 times
I definitely think so. And Old City seems that way to me as well. I live in that part of town though, so I might have a magnifying glass on that.

It's a shame.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:57 AM

476 posts, read 278,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Old City, Passyunk, other nightlife hubs feel almost back to a pre-pandemic vibe. But South Street, especially the few block radius area around 3rd, feels way sketchier. Open air drug deals, more strungout homeless people, the bars on the weekdays especially seem to have a sketchier crowd. Lots of cars slow-rollin’. I was there last in 2019 and I dont remember South Street being that sketchy. Sure, lots lf drunken frat boys and douchbags on the weekends, but they are more annoying than full on sketchy.
..... "cars slow-rollin'" - what does that mean and how is it sketchy?

How many "open air drug deals" did you actually see?

South Street west of Broad is amazing right now, in my opinion. There hasn't been a single shooting in 7 years (as far back as the data goes), and there is a vibrant restaurant scene and many shops.

South Street east of Broad doesn't seem to be doing too badly, I'm down there like every other week. That said, I don't go there for nightlife.

Also, does anyone know if the Giant Heirloom is still going to open at 2nd and South?

Old 08-16-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
..... "cars slow-rollin'" - what does that mean and how is it sketchy?

How many "open air drug deals" did you actually see?

South Street west of Broad is amazing right now, in my opinion. There hasn't been a single shooting in 7 years (as far back as the data goes), and there is a vibrant restaurant scene and many shops.

South Street east of Broad doesn't seem to be doing too badly, I'm down there like every other week. That said, I don't go there for nightlife.

Also, does anyone know if the Giant Heirloom is still going to open at 2nd and South?
Last I heard, there was a major dispute between Giant and the landlord. It appears to be an impasse.

I think South Street, east of say....10th to 2nd is the problem. I have not seen any open drug deals, myself.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:25 AM

390 posts, read 270,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Last I heard, there was a major dispute between Giant and the landlord. It appears to be an impasse.

I think South Street, east of say....10th to 2nd is the problem. I have not seen any open drug deals, myself.
It’s really more like 7th to 2nd. I’m in the area regularly and the blocks from 10th to 7th with Whole Foods, Brauhaus Schmitz etc. are perfectly fine.

It’s a small area but the blocks from 7th to 2nd have definitely gotten worse in the last few years and it drags down the reputation of the whole street.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:42 AM

445 posts, read 419,496 times
South street west of Broad is doing great right now. East of Broad, South street has been struggling for years and it most certainly wasn't doing well pre-pandemic. It's probably bottoming out now, I would guess.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:25 AM

9,419 posts, read 9,416,456 times
As others said, its really only a few blocks (2nd to 7th) that are rough. They just feel dirty, dreary, and at night a bit sketchy. How to improve that, no clue... But once you leave South Street it's totally fine within a block.

The arrival of the Giant Heirloom would help the 200 block, but the building owner is being an a@@.

And the long closed Downeys Pub (on the corner of South & Front) will be torn down soon for apartments and a restaurant, a huge boost for that block.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
It’s really more like 7th to 2nd. I’m in the area regularly and the blocks from 10th to 7th with Whole Foods, Brauhaus Schmitz etc. are perfectly fine.

It’s a small area but the blocks from 7th to 2nd have definitely gotten worse in the last few years and it drags down the reputation of the whole street.
Fair enough.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:30 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,553,996 times
I think the OP's post is innocent and just so he knows, we have this conversation about every 3 months on this board. I also recognize his username from the city vs. city board, which I thought he lived out west, but this post kind of makes it sound like he lives here now? Just curious.

This is my opinion as a 31 y/o who has spent his 20s and early 30s living in Philly:

South Street as a destination of "going out" was never really a thing. There are places along the east side of South Street. Bridget Foy's is a good restaurant at 2nd and South. The TLA is a popular smaller Live Nation music venue at 3rd and south. Jim's is a popular cheesesteak place at 5th and South. Spread Bagels at 5th and South is the best place in Philly to get a Montreal style bagel. Scoop Deville is a solid ice cream spot right there. Federal Donuts has one of the best fried chicken sandwiches. Most the shops though inbetween aren't like bars and restaurants. they're like low to mid grade retailers with a handful of smoke shops and gold shops. South Street caters to a pretty wide range of people. I imagine with Jim's being closed the neighborhood hobos are lost on what to do.

If you are just visiting Philadelphia, you're on the wrong side and the restaurants and bars are better on South Street on the other side of Broad street.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 08-16-2022 at 11:45 AM..

Old 08-16-2022, 12:11 PM

2,310 posts, read 1,732,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I think the OP's post is innocent and just so he knows, we have this conversation about every 3 months on this board. I also recognize his username from the city vs. city board, which I thought he lived out west, but this post kind of makes it sound like he lives here now? Just curious.

This is my opinion as a 31 y/o who has spent his 20s and early 30s living in Philly:

South Street as a destination of "going out" was never really a thing. There are places along the east side of South Street. Bridget Foy's is a good restaurant at 2nd and South. The TLA is a popular smaller Live Nation music venue at 3rd and south. Jim's is a popular cheesesteak place at 5th and South. Spread Bagels at 5th and South is the best place in Philly to get a Montreal style bagel. Scoop Deville is a solid ice cream spot right there. Federal Donuts has one of the best fried chicken sandwiches. Most the shops though inbetween aren't like bars and restaurants. they're like low to mid grade retailers with a handful of smoke shops and gold shops. South Street caters to a pretty wide range of people. I imagine with Jim's being closed the neighborhood hobos are lost on what to do.

If you are just visiting Philadelphia, you're on the wrong side and the restaurants and bars are better on South Street on the other side of Broad street.
My wife’s parents moved to a townhouse in Society Hill in 2017. Her Mom was originally from the area. Weve been spending several weeks up to a month with them every summer since then. So no, I dont live here but Ive gotten to know to the city decently since then and I’m basing my opinions on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: