U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,108 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to Hazleton PA. from NYC. I don't own a car yet, so can anyone tell me if they know of any bus company that gives trips from NYC to Hazleton? Also, how is the housing there? Do most people rent or buy? What's the job market like? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2006, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 71,435 times
Martz bus goes from nyc to pa

Old 07-07-2006, 01:59 PM

4,101 posts, read 7,871,497 times
There's better places than Hazelton. Please, dont do it!

Old 07-16-2006, 09:08 PM

538 posts, read 2,260,834 times
check out Jim Thorpe instead

Old 08-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 7 days ago)

31,055 posts, read 68,897,423 times
Hey, hey, hey! RAWR! LOL! As a lifelong resident of Luzerne County, let me interject here with my own two cents! While the city of Hazleton itself is becoming overrun with illegal aliens, drugs, and violent crime, the surrounding commmunities are very safe, peaceful, and tranquil. Crime doesn't spill over from the city limits into the 'burbs, and some of the suburbs are VERY desirable. Check out Beech Mountain Lakes or Eagle Rock in Butler Township and Black Creek Township respectively for rural resort communities. Sugarloaf Township and Conyngham Borough are both scenic agricultural areas that are still a short commute to Hazleton. Also, the "Mountain Top" area is booming with NY/NJ transplants lately, as people are enjoying its location midway between Hazleton and Wilkes-Barre. The Crestwood School District in Mountain Top is routinely acclaimed as being one of the best in NEPA. Hazleton Area schools aren't the greatest, as the gang presence has settled in. These suburban locations all offer VERY affordable housing as compared to both NYC and Northeastern Pennsylvania in general, and Martz offers bus service from the region to NY/NJ. However, you will NEED a car once you move here; There isn't much in the way of mass transit between Hazleton and its suburbs. Good luck, and feel free to contact me for further inquiries!

Old 08-06-2006, 09:41 PM

538 posts, read 2,260,834 times
And the mayor of Hazleton just banned illegal immigrants from the city limits. Seems to me that the city can go nowhere but UP from here....

Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM

I greatly admire Mayor Barletta for taking such a bold stance against illegal immigrants in the "Mountain City." Many other communities in our region are now following suit with their own legislation prohibiting illegal immigrants from living in their municipalities as well. Hazleton DOES have a lot of potential, being at the junction of I-80 and I-81 and being home to several massive industrial parks, but for a city of just 23,000 to have such a high violent crime rate is ludicrous! Hopefully Mayor Barletta will continue to clean this city up; I'm already impressed with how successful he's been in marketing the Markle Building downtown to new businesses. Once this "anchor" is filled, you'll see other small businesses starting to sprout up to latch onto the foot traffic that the Markle Building generates. Soon, you'll have a more lively downtown again, which will deter criminal activity and hopefully transform Hazleton into being a great city once again!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:47 PM

5,789 posts, read 7,158,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head
And the mayor of Hazleton just banned illegal immigrants from the city limits. Seems to me that the city can go nowhere but UP from here....
Providing that the courts don't throw it out

Old 08-08-2006, 05:39 AM

There was just a news story here on WNEP-TV 16 about how the number of available apartment rentals in and around Hazleton has SOARED since last month when this entire anti-illegal immigrant brou-ha-ha was broadcasted all over CNN. According to city officials, it appears as if illegals are getting the hint and fleeing Hazleton in mass droves, although where they're relocating to is uncertain.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this ordinance. Many people here in PA have a "prejudiced" mindset, and as such many GOOD HARD-WORKING LEGAL Hispanics have been the target of hate over the past month from people who judge them as "illegal" simply by looking at their complexion. City officials also admit that they know of many legal, civic-minded Hispanics who are also leaving the city due to the increased presence of racism from Hazleton's mostly uneducated population. To me, this is a travesty! Then again, I suppose sometimes you have to cut down some of the good in order to weed out the bad!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:38 PM

42 posts, read 111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre
There was just a news story here on WNEP-TV 16 about how the number of available apartment rentals in and around Hazleton has SOARED since last month when this entire anti-illegal immigrant brou-ha-ha was broadcasted all over CNN. According to city officials, it appears as if illegals are getting the hint and fleeing Hazleton in mass droves, although where they're relocating to is uncertain.
I do believe many are moving here to Wilkes-Barre...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or