U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times

Advertisements

Interesting website Rainrock. I wish the stats were a little more current. I just checked Lehigh County because the current belief is that we are being inundated with NY and NJ transplants. The site that you've posted only has data up to 2005. Good info, but I'd like to see what today's numbers would show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 11:38 AM

634 posts, read 2,875,102 times
That is a great website. I KNEW there were a lot of NYers living here in Orange county, FL (Orlando area)!!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM

468 posts, read 2,167,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
There may be a sprinkling of New Yorkers to Bucks but it is a very very small percentage, like 1%.

Mercer, NJ 6,927
Middlesex, NJ 2,232
Hunterdon, NJ 1,571
Somerset, NJ 1,240
Monmouth, NJ 762
New York, NY 760
Kings, NY 718
True, but I'd point out that all of the counties above are in the New York area, and the process is more accurately described as "people who's great grandparents lived on the Lower East Side who moved to Hoboken and had kids who moved to Linden who had kids who moved to Clinton Township who had kids who moved to Bucks County" They're "New Yorkers" because they're Yankees fans and they're culturally connected to New York, not because they literally moved from Manhattan yesterday.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:17 PM

183 posts, read 575,965 times
I'm not from NYC, but I live in Yardley, and can tell you it is a breeze to commute to NYC from here. Ten minute drive to the Trenton station, then 70 min or so on on the train. Parking is reasonable at the station, and the trains run frequently. Painless travel.
Good luck.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:22 AM

8 posts, read 60,000 times
Point taken. I cannot quibble with these stats, assuming they are accurate.

From my own personal perspective, Newtown is a bedroom community for NYC. I moved directly from Manhattan 3 years ago, am still employed there and commute to the city at least 3 days/wk. This has been my experience.

And the reality is also that many of my neighbors and fellow area residents (whether originally from the NYC area or not) commute to the city for work. So perhaps it's more accurate to say that Newtown (and Upper Makefield and Yardley) have become, in many respects, Manhattan-friendly commuter towns.

The feasibility of commuting to Manhattan is, in addition to the terrific school district, a contributing factor to keeping real estate prices relatively high and well supported in this area.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:18 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm10273 View Post

The feasibility of commuting to Manhattan is, in addition to the terrific school district, a contributing factor to keeping real estate prices relatively high and well supported in this area.
Not to nitpick but It sounds like you are saying Bucks County's wealth is greatly reliant on the fact that it is close to metro NYC? Eventhough the 3 counties(Chester + Montgomery, nwestern 3/4 of Delaware County) which I think we can all agree have virtually no NYC influence are all wealthier counties than Bucks. In particular Chester County which is furthest from NYC and is significantly wealthier than Bucks County and even many of the affluent North Jersey Counties .

No offense and not to disrespect NY and its wealth but the whole NYers will save your crumbling hamlet is misguided and quite frankly getting old. Bucks County was always a great place to live with a high QOL long before NYers started spreading their wings.Believe it or not metro Philadelphia has done quite well on its own over the past 2 centuries. Its self-aggrandizing not to mention discourteous to insiniuate that Bucks Countys relative wealth is due to NYErs. There is alot of history tied to Bucks County and almost none of it involves NYC.

That being said I'm glad upwardly mobile metro Nyers are moving down here to help ADD to the vitality of the region.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM

8 posts, read 60,000 times
Quote:
Not to nitpick but It sounds like you are saying Bucks County's wealth is greatly reliant on the fact that it is close to metro NYC? Eventhough the 3 counties(Chester + Montgomery, nwestern 3/4 of Delaware County) which I think we can all agree have virtually no NYC influence are all wealthier counties than Bucks. In particular Chester County which is furthest from NYC and is significantly wealthier than Bucks County and even many of the affluent North Jersey Counties .

No offense and not to disrespect NY and its wealth but the whole NYers will save your crumbling hamlet is misguided and quite frankly getting old. Bucks County was always a great place to live with a high QOL long before NYers started spreading their wings.Believe it or not metro Philadelphia has done quite well on its own over the past 2 centuries. Its self-aggrandizing not to mention discourteous to insiniuate that Bucks Countys relative wealth is due to NYErs. There is alot of history tied to Bucks County and almost none of it involves NYC.

That being said I'm glad upwardly mobile metro Nyers are moving down here to help ADD to the vitality of the region.
Rainrock, that's not what I'm saying at all. With all due respect, you are extrapolating and generalizing in a way that's not supported by the words I used (i.e. you are 'putting words in my mouth'). What I wrote was quite narrow and specific, and intended to convey no more, and no less, that what was expressly written. The inferences you wish to draw from my post are your own business, of course, and you are certainly entitled to your own opinion; just don't tie those inferences and opinions to my post. Your extrapolation is well beyond the plain meaning of what I wrote and clearly not what I intended.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I would be interested to hear the main reasons why you leap-frogged over the great counties in N Jersey and Central Jersey?

Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 PM

197 posts, read 744,964 times
Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I would be interested to hear the main reasons why you leap-frogged over the great counties in N Jersey and Central Jersey?
I would assume New Yorkers are also hearing all the negatives about New Jersey (high taxes, corrupt politicians, dilapidated cities), considering they are in the same Metro-media market. When it comes time to move, they think I'll just skip Jersey and head into PA, which is still a reasonable commute for work....

Old 09-14-2008, 08:11 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,518,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larnsue View Post
haha love the butt comment! So so true...new yorkers hmmmmmmmm. Unsure of my opinion today, usually am not impressed....they move here thinking its the country....hahahaha not so anymore! Been here all my life and never had so many rude and obnoxious people around me.....one reason i will never move to newtown...too congested too. But the nyers, they have to learn we are not cow farmers with hay hanging out of our mouths. Even those who are left here to really farm....they have brains and deserve respect. Not the peeps who purchase huge properties and make them mcmansions. Get real. Nyer's gotta let that notion go of being superior to anyone too. All thats happened here is over priced properties housing inconsiderate shoppers, drivers, homeowners and pencil-pushing cubicle robots.
tell that to almost 10 million people!!!!!:d:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia